VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Where Is The Best Place To Live For A Disabled Veteran In The Us

Rate this question

Done wit this

Question

Wondering what everyones thought on this topic is, I am looking at options for next year, We would like to know who or should I say what states give the best brakes for Disabled Veterans? It would have to be country living.

Macool

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Guest RickB54

AS someone has already stated it really depends on what makes you happy, and what your looking for.

I lived in NC for years but the state offers no tax exemptions to veterans, and the cost of living can be high depending on what part of the state you live in.

I lived in Killeen Texas from Dec 03- Oct 05 I liked Texas, don't know why I left??? anyway Texas offers disabled veterans some property tax exemptions,which depends on the level of disability a veteran has( the higher the rating the higher the exemptions.

I stayed in SC from Oct 04- Dec 05... they have excellent benefits for veterans perhaps the best I have ever seen. We were planing on living in Columbia, but after looking for a home for two months (couldn't find a decent/ reasonable priced home we went to Augusta Georgia.

I Lived in Augusta (Hephzibah) Georgia from Dec 05-Aug07 I did not pay any taxes on my home, benefits were good. Va Hospital was one of the best I have every used. We just did not like Georgia.

I have just resettled in Texas, San Antonio. It is a much larger city than Killeen, and offers more options for medical care. Brooks medical center, Audie Murphy va medical center, and three seperate Air bases, Lackland, Brooks, and Randolph. We have been back, in the state since Aug and we are loving it. I am already looking for the forms to the exemptions of the new home we just closed on. Now I am close to my children and grandchildren and could not be happier.

Most states offer free tags, some offer education for children, some like Texas give free drivers licenses, and fishing licenses...

I would say don't look at the benefits first until you decide where you really want to be... I played the benefits game and believe me you will not be happy moving to a place based on the best benefits available.

I stayed in SC from Oct 04- Dec 05... they have excellent benefits for veterans perhaps the best I have ever seen. We were planing on living in Columbia, but after looking for a home for two months (couldn't find a decent/ reasonable priced home we went to Augusta Georgia.

RickB54, Testvet,

I have just started looking online for homes in Columbia (I'm originally from Orangeburg). What were some of the difficulties you encountered looking for a home, and is there anything I should be keeping an eye out for? Anyone else with info/advice please feel free to reply.

Kappa

• HadIt.com Elder

Rick:

Nice to see you back. San Antonio is a lovely City. I think one of the four best vities to visit including, Boston, San Francisco and New Orleans till Katrina. I live in Dallas Texas and my Scholl and County taxes are frozen and my over all property tax is less than 1% of current market value. I buy my License plate for car for 3 bucks a year, free hunting and fishing license and can use the BX at the Naval Air Station in Ft Worth.

I still think that a disabled Veteran who does not work is better off buying in a rural county that is not to far from town.

But I think that you pointed out that the best place to live is around family. I live within 22 miles of all my sons and my 2 grand daughters.

Pete