VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea: Long Term Effects From Agent Orange W/ Dmii & Hyptersion

Rate this question

bob_abad

Question

Hello fellow vets,

As adviced by a VN Vet in Y2004, didn't realized that I was qualified for compensation due to my AO exposure which affected my health for decades now. Was too tied up w/ career, family, & others. So, I began...

Campaign tour: 1966-1967 in the VN central highlands. 4th Inf. Div; Combat Engr. & Infantry support. Was exposed to AO(fields, missions, LZ's, base camp & outside perimeter burning, etc).

>40% SC due to DM-II

>Now appealing for my Hypertension which i've had for few decades now. Scratching my head on this one why denied originally?

Additionally: (Reevaluation for service connected disability rating)

> Applying for Tinnitus & this Sleep Apnea

Has anyone been granted w/ compensation for having Sleep Apnea(from AO days)? From my end, I believe that it was a long term effect also from having both DM-II and Hypertension deceases. Gain some weight too. Mine is severe that I have been using CPAP mask/machine for 5 years now. BTW, wife can sleep better now too! Prior to CPAP, I suffered from her & former girlfriend's elbowing. Funny, but it's true.

Any advice on OSA(Obstructive Sleep Apnea) from Agent Orange exposure days will be appreciated. I am doing all the processing on my own with the VA RO. It does take time!

Good bless, and thanks in advance for your reply!

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Welcome aboard Bob-

I just replied to a similiar question-

if you can get a doctor to state that your Sleep apnea is directly due to your DMII then you have basis for service connecting the apnea as a secondary SC disability.

"appealing for my Hypertension which i've had for few decades now"

If VA can say the HBP is not due to your DMII too and was diagnosed prior to the DMII they can deny a claim like that-

this too might take a strong opinion from your doctor-

Heart disease and atherosclerosis have such a strong association with DMII that-hopefully you do not have either of these affects but these -if found secondary to DMII by VA- usuallu always prompt a rating of SC HBP.

My own vet rep-SC for DMII and heart disease due to DMII from Agent Orange was denied twice for his HBP- and VA's rationale was that he took HBP meds that controlled his HBP so therefore no SC-

we both deal with a very arbitrary VARO.

When he told me their rationale I just said NOD it with the word "DUH!"

He knew what I meant -the obvious-if you get medicated for it-that does not mean you dont have it-

but his private doctor stated his HBP was definitely due to the DMII and CAD-and his doctor is a well known endocrinologist so they finally SCed his HBP.

When VA says sometimes-the veteran "essential" hypertension-they mean they dont know what it is from.

A vet can use that factor and give a good argument for the HBP to be directly due to an SC disability since the VA has admitted to having no known etiology for the "essential" HBP.

They would be forced to rebutt the idea with some sort of medical rationale that they might not find- and therefore would possibly SC the HBP.

Welcome aboard Bob-

I just replied to a similiar question-

if you can get a doctor to state that your Sleep apnea is directly due to your DMII then you have basis for service connecting the apnea as a secondary SC disability.

"appealing for my Hypertension which i've had for few decades now"

If VA can say the HBP is not due to your DMII too and was diagnosed prior to the DMII they can deny a claim like that-

this too might take a strong opinion from your doctor-

Heart disease and atherosclerosis have such a strong association with DMII that-hopefully you do not have either of these affects but these -if found secondary to DMII by VA- usuallu always prompt a rating of SC HBP.

My own vet rep-SC for DMII and heart disease due to DMII from Agent Orange was denied twice for his HBP- and VA's rationale was that he took HBP meds that controlled his HBP so therefore no SC-

we both deal with a very arbitrary VARO.

When he told me their rationale I just said NOD it with the word "DUH!"

He knew what I meant -the obvious-if you get medicated for it-that does not mean you dont have it-

but his private doctor stated his HBP was definitely due to the DMII and CAD-and his doctor is a well known endocrinologist so they finally SCed his HBP.

When VA says sometimes-the veteran "essential" hypertension-they mean they dont know what it is from.

A vet can use that factor and give a good argument for the HBP to be directly due to an SC disability since the VA has admitted to having no known etiology for the "essential" HBP.

They would be forced to rebutt the idea with some sort of medical rationale that they might not find- and therefore would possibly SC the HBP.

Thanks for getting back. FYI..News about Hypertension;Agent Orange exposure as of 07/27/07. I am quite sure VA have this info in their lap, they are close associated w/ IOM as per Internet info I read.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...?nav=rss_health