VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Osteoporosis Secondary To A Back Injury

Rate this question

SFCMoore

Question

I retired in 2002 and part of my disability was a back injury. I have experienced severe pain and discomfort in the back and neck. I had a Bone Density Scan done and it showed a -3.9 in the spine and -2.3 in the neck. Severe osteoporosis is a score of -2.5 or lower. It was noted that I am a high risk for back fractures. Can the osteoporosis be a result of a back injury and can I claim it as secondary to the back injury?

Thanks.....

God Bless Our Troops

Lewis Moore

SFC (RET) 80%

Cancer Survivor

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Unlikely.

You would have to do some medical research, or get a good Ortho doctor to link the two, and establish a nexus.

I have both, osteoporosis and back problems from arthritis, and VA won't touch the osteoporosis, sayng there is no nexus to a traffic accident that caused traumatic arthritis.

I retired in 2002 also. Had an auto accident in '94 and was diagnosed w/muscle strain at the time but had physical therapy for a month or two. 5 years later complained of neck and arm pain again. Again diagnosed as muscle strain. BUT when I had first VA exam in 2002 they did x-rays and found "cervical spondylosis C6-7". I only got 10% but it's service connected.

You should be able to also. Oh, and if you had medical attention or tests run before you had been retired for a year I think that will get you the service connection also.

Hope this helps.

I posted this for Elmer earlier:

The regulation 38 C.F.R. § 3.310(a) (1989) states: Disability which is proximately due to or the result of a service-connected disease or injury shall be service connected. When service connection is thus established for a secondary condition, the secondary condition shall be considered a part of the original condition.

All you would need is a IMO to say the the Neck injury was more likely as not, the proximate result of the back injury. You may have an uphill fight for it to be SC, but if you stick to it and provide good sound medical evidence to show the relationship of one to the other, then you should prevail in the end.

Jim S. :rolleyes: