• Topics

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Bstman

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • I'm interested in filling a gulf war illness claim , my question is do you think it worthwhile, I have the symptoms that are required for the claim , but some of the fall into my ptsd symptoms which I all ready receive compensation for .   if I file gwi , will they try to reduce my ptsd rating.  all I read is so many gulf war claims are denied . I don't want to fill and have it denied and have them turn around and start messing with my ptsd claim . Any thoughts?  
    • My opinion Any new evidence will help you with a NOD. Mine was just a Voc Expert who testifies in VA, SSDI and Railroad Benefits Courts. And even though it sounds silly and anti-progress, i think at this point in time with the games the VA is playing with fast rejections and lowballs have FILLED the frikin Appeals Dockets, we should maybe hold back just ONE bit of evidence, maybe because we kind of already know lowballing is SoP for the bastiches, just have that one bit of evidence ready for your NOD. Once again, just a opinion, and a path i'm taking on my next claim.
    • I thought the same. To be honest I get strong anxiety disgust when I go to the va. Lost trust with the providers there. So part a is free correct? Even if I only have 8 years of solid work and on and off.  As far as part b they are saying that I can lower my rate by signing a earlier effective date my alleged onset date. Which would be a difference of 104.90 starting date June 2011 in which I have to pay an additional 6,517.30. I currently have no medical bills pending throughout that period.  The other one is August 2016 with a premium of 121.80 a month. However, What I don't understand is on the bottom they want to charge me 243.60 due through December 2016. Is that two year enrollment plan?
    • @broncovet @john999 thanks for the feedback, the Peter Principle is exactly what I'm worried about. Since I am SC for PTSD already and filing for an increase, I was concerned that they wouldn't acknowledge any of my treatment records as evidence for increase since the CRNP made diagnosis of MDD on almost every treatment note over the past year. I think he just looks at the thing that's most obvious with me, writes a prescription, and sends me on my way. Maybe he's uncomfortable with the MST part but he has never asked me anything about it, my stressors, etc. When I mentioned my nightmares he didn't ask anything about the nature of them, just prescribed me prazosin. When I mentioned my anxiety and social avoidance, he again didn't ask me anything about it, but he prescribed me hydroxyzine. Aside from the depression, I have all these meds treating me for various PTSD symptoms but that MDD stays right there as my primary dx, and that's what I'm worried about. I'm very afraid they will reject my claim or maybe even reduce my PTSD as not having a current diagnosis and say the depression isn't SC. I guess I just wait and prepare myself.
    • From my experience yes. My initial claim took two years and my current claim,  one increase and one new, is currently at prep for notification and was filed in May. I'm sure this varies greatly by a number of factors. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
navyvet

Neuropathy

17 posts in this topic

I had been rated at 10% for left foot 10% for right foot 10% for upper left leg and 10% for upper right leg.

I had the required exam that found my neuropathy had worsened . The VA changed my Rating to 20% for left foot and 20 % for right foot, however there is now no rating for left and right upper.

IS THIS STANDARD ROUTINE OF THEM ?

WHAT SHOULD I DO ?

"I had been rated at 10% for left foot 10% for right foot 10% for upper left leg and 10% for upper right leg."

this is highly irregular, and borders on the prohibition against pyramiding. the rater who did this was incorrect. probably what happened is the next rater came along and corrected the erroneous rating. he did not take anything away from you, you are still 20 percent for each lower extremity. but on the other hand, he did not give you the increase you were seeking. bottom line, it will not do you any good to try to get back a separate rating for your lower and your upper legs. won't happen. best to go after a rating for peripheral neuropathy of the left and right upper extremities. got numbness and tingling in your hands?

"I had been rated at 10% for left foot 10% for right foot 10% for upper left leg and 10% for upper right leg."

this is highly irregular, and borders on the prohibition against pyramiding. the rater who did this was incorrect. probably what happened is the next rater came along and corrected the erroneous rating. he did not take anything away from you, you are still 20 percent for each lower extremity. but on the other hand, he did not give you the increase you were seeking. bottom line, it will not do you any good to try to get back a separate rating for your lower and your upper legs. won't happen. best to go after a rating for peripheral neuropathy of the left and right upper extremities. got numbness and tingling in your hands?

I have numbness and tingling at times in left hand and the left leg is numb to the hip , maybe a little in left leg but definitely not as bad as the left. I had an Electromyography test about 3 months ago and dr said I had moderate neuropathy in feet . and noted some in upper but not as bad .

see, neuropathy is rated as for incomplete paralysis of the peroneal nerve, which serves the leg below the knee. for neuropathy in the entire leg, it should be rated as for incomplete paralysis of the sciatic nerve, which serves the entire leg. but there should NEVER be two ratings for the same leg.

if you have numbness and tingling in your hands, put in a claim for neuropathy of the upper extremities.

see, neuropathy is rated as for incomplete paralysis of the peroneal nerve, which serves the leg below the knee. for neuropathy in the entire leg, it should be rated as for incomplete paralysis of the sciatic nerve, which serves the entire leg. but there should NEVER be two ratings for the same leg.

if you have numbness and tingling in your hands, put in a claim for neuropathy of the upper extremities.

Somehow I have the feeling my SO is going to flip . I asked him why they did away with it and got the answer "thats what they decided" with no explaination....

I am on 1200 MG of gabupentin and it has helped but know that its only temporary .I dont have the strength in my left hand like I use to .

If they rule in my favor do you think they will assign disability for sciatic nerve instead of peroneal nerve damage ? I take it its different?

if you have a VSO, ask him for a copy of the "codesheet" from your last rating. that will show what diagnostic code your neuropathy is rated under. 8521 is the coding for the peroneal nerve. 8520 is the coding for the sciatic nerve.

if you are not coded 8520 for the left leg, and you have demonstrable neuropathy in the entire leg, submit a letter asking to be rated under the 8520 coding and explain why. (the evaluations under the sciatic nerve go higher than those for the peroneal nerve). appeal if you are turned down. that is only if you can show by objective evidence that your entire leg is involved.

numbness, tingling, decreased grip strength, and loss of fine motor coordination are hallmarks of neuropathy in the hands. if you think you qualify, make the claim. it costs you nothing to ask.