VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Neuropathy

Rate this question

navyvet

Question

I had been rated at 10% for left foot 10% for right foot 10% for upper left leg and 10% for upper right leg.

I had the required exam that found my neuropathy had worsened . The VA changed my Rating to 20% for left foot and 20 % for right foot, however there is now no rating for left and right upper.

IS THIS STANDARD ROUTINE OF THEM ?

WHAT SHOULD I DO ?

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

"If I submit a claim for the Hands and they find they are not severely affected yet to give a rating.Will that cause me to not be able to claim it if it worsens?"

no. neuropathy is a known complication of diabetes, if you claim it they should order an exam. if they do not find enough to warrant a compensable rating separate from the diabetes, they will service connect at 0 percent and roll it in with the primary diagnosis of diabetes. that way it is service connected, and when it worsens, you have a claim for increase, not a reopened claim.

Does the same apply to my feet ? I know eventually they will get worse .From what I understand the Gabepentin only works for a time , then after all the dosage increases ,it stops working . I really appreciate your expertise I am still new at this. My first rating was about 4 years ago with the Prostate Cancer . Was told about AO and effects by an online friend I was playing cribbage with ,after my operation .

OK also in answer:

I f you file a claim and they determine a 0% rating, that does NOT hinder you from filing a later claim if the condition worsens, in fact I would think it would help, since service-connection and diagnosis is already established.

Neuropathy is a normal "secondary" issue with type II diabetes, or diabetes period. So if they have already granted service connection for the diabetes, or even if its pending, filing for neuropathy in the limbs is totally normal "secondary" to the diabetes.

Look at entropents post... he is dead on. Just follow his direction. Also, I have been taking neurontin/gabapentine for 6 years, and if I DONT take it, it is very very obvious that it is still working. So, while your body may "acclimatize" to the neurontin, it has been MY (opinion here) experience that it keeps working, you just may need a slightly higher dosage eventually.

Also, again I think your VSO is... less than ideal. Perhaps you might think of going to another organization, or even better (as you are obviously doing) handle it yourself... thats honestly the best way in my opinion.

OK also in answer:So I should appeal their decision and add a new claim for my hands at the same time ?

If I do this and my SO doesnt agree with me , how do I go about getting someone else to represent me? Di I formally have to write my SO and ask to be released from his office ? I'm not sure how to go about this properly , I don't want to ruffle any feathers.

I f you file a claim and they determine a 0% rating, that does NOT hinder you from filing a later claim if the condition worsens, in fact I would think it would help, since service-connection and diagnosis is already established.

Neuropathy is a normal "secondary" issue with type II diabetes, or diabetes period. So if they have already granted service connection for the diabetes, or even if its pending, filing for neuropathy in the limbs is totally normal "secondary" to the diabetes.

Look at entropents post... he is dead on. Just follow his direction. Also, I have been taking neurontin/gabapentine for 6 years, and if I DONT take it, it is very very obvious that it is still working. So, while your body may "acclimatize" to the neurontin, it has been MY (opinion here) experience that it keeps working, you just may need a slightly higher dosage eventually.

Also, again I think your VSO is... less than ideal. Perhaps you might think of going to another organization, or even better (as you are obviously doing) handle it yourself... thats honestly the best way in my opinion.

Im not sure if I am rated correctly or not for feet.

These are my sympthons

1 . Foot pain burning throbbing both feet

2. leg pain both legs below the knee

3.left foot tends to drag sometimes causing me to almost stumble

4.have a hard time navigating on uneven ground

5.balance is not what it use to be (I use to walk on rocks along the cape cod canal to fish , now I have a problem fishing there at all.

6.pain from left knee , up the back of leg and thigh to lowerback

7.sometimes have tingling in fingers left hand and numbness sometimes

8.strength of left hand not what it use to be

9. sometimes have pain in finger joints

DOES THIS ADD UP TO 20% EACH FOOT?