VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mystery Payment From Dfas

Rate this question

yelloownumber5

Question

I was checking my accounts and a payment was posted from "DFAS-CLEVELAND RETSPCL".

Does anyone know what this might be. I am awaiting retro pay but this is no where close to the amount.

I would like like to know prior to calling them Monday, I have searched online and cannot find anything.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Was this for CRDP or CRSC?

Scuttlebutt I heard was that IUs get retro to Jan 2005 (assuming they have VA award of IU back that far)- and I got this from Mil.com:

SEC. 642. INCLUSION OF VETERANS WITH SERVICE-CONNECTED DISABILITIES RATED AS TOTAL BY REASON OF UNEMPLOYABILITY UNDER TERMINATION OF PHASE-IN OF CONCURRENT RECEIPT OF RETIRED PAY AND VETERANS’ DISABILITY COMPENSATION.

(a) INCLUSION OF VETERANS.—Section 1414(a)(1)

of title 10, United States Code, is amended by striking

‘‘except that’’ and all that follows and inserting ‘‘except

that payment of retired pay is subject to subsection ©

only during the period beginning on January 1, 2004, and

ending on December 31, 2004, in the case of the following:

‘‘(A) A qualified retiree receiving veterans’ disability compensation

for a disability rated as 100 percent.

‘‘(:P A qualified retiree receiving veterans’ disability compensation at the rate payable for

a 100 percent disability by reason of a determination of individual unemployability.’’

(:blink: EFFECTIVE DATE.—

(1) IN GENERAL.—Subject to paragraph (2), the amendment made by subsection (a) shall take effect as of December 31, 2004.

(2) TIMING OF PAYMENT OF RETROACTIVE

BENEFITS.—Any amount payable for a period before

October 1, 2008, by reason of the amendment made

by subsection (a) shall not be paid until after that

date.

Does that make any sense to you?

As tnese retros go out there will be more info at Mil.com and-I have feeling some of these retro amounts will be figured out wrong-

Sorry-I apologise- you have 50 % SC-

Is there anything here that helps you:

http://www.veteransresources.org/forums/sh...ead.php?p=10040

Guess what- the DFAS page is presently down due to changes coming-

what a frustrating situation the whole CRDP /CRSC ,matter has become.

The latest info I have on how they figure the payments is at Mil.com and I put it here again:

"CRSC is an application-claim based program versus the Concurrent Retirement and Disability Payments (CRDP) program, which is an automatic entitlement from DFAS for any Retiree with a combined 50% or higher VA disability rating. Some Retirees believe they are already receiving CRSC when they are actually receiving CRDP and thus do not submit their claim for CRSC. If you are not certain what you are receiving, please check your DFAS pay stub and consider submitting your claim for CRSC. The following is a summary of the contrast between CRSC and CRDP:

Comparing CRSC and CRDP

CRSC Eligibility

Submitting a Claim

Comparing CRSC and CRDP

It is important to note that Retirees cannot receive both CRSC and CRDP and must elect one each year through an annual “program election.” Many retirees are confused about which is better for them. When making this decision, please note the following characteristics of CRSC and CRDP:

CRSC CRDP

Full Concurrent Receipt Yes No - 10 Year Phase In

(Except for 100% rated Disabled Retirees)

Sample Payment for 50% Disability Rating $690 (2007) $403 (2007)

Required VA Disability Rating: 10% 50%

Taxable No Yes

VA Individual Unemployment (IU) Eligible Yes 3 Yr. Phase in (2009)

Survivor Benefit No No

Application Requirement Yes - DD 2860 No - Automatic

Type of Disability Combat Related Service Connected

CRSC Eligibility

Eligible claimants are/ have:

Retired with 20 yrs Active or Reserve Duty;

Receiving retired pay;

Retired pay must be offset by VA payments;

A 10%+ disability rating; and

At least one combat-related disability.

Combat-Related Criteria

Combat-related criteria include those VA rated disabilities that occurred under the following situations:

In the performance of duty under conditions simulating war (e.g., named exercises, routine field training exercises/F0000000000000000000TX)

While engaged in hazardous service (e.g. flight, diving, parachute duty)

Through an instrumentality of war (e.g. combat vehicles, weapons)

As a direct result of armed conflict (e.g. Purple Heart)

OR

Presumptive cases (e.g. Agent Orange, radiation exposure, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)

CRSC Eligible retirees should submit their claim today!

Retirees can download the CRSC claim form DD 2860.

For more information on how to apply contact your parent military service branch:

ARMY:

Department of the Army

U.S. Army Physical Disability Agency"

It was probably the DFAS portion. Now they will send the issue to VA for their action. The same happened to me. One day I got a deposit by DFAS for about 200.00 dollars. Boy was I steaming. Then about a week later, while I was composing a very nasty letter to DFAS, my wife called me from work and said, honey, VA deposited 16 thousand dollars into our account today. What is going on? I was so confused I made her draw it out and put in in her personal savings accout so VA could not go back and zap it out hahahahahahahaha.. about a week later I got a letter from VA explaining that due to a new change in the law I was owed this money in the form of a reto payment.

Remember, VA is the one who withheld the money, so they are making the big payments. Hold on for a little while and maybe it will work out. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!!!

Ricky,

I was kind of upset because yes this was about $200 pretax......I did go to dfas and my statement said something like miscellanious payment. I have been waiting like most for retro of CDRP forever....but I have some changes so I figured it would be one of the later ones. I did send DFAS a letter last month and they returned it to me only because I did not write my SSN on the paperwork, is that not some crap?!!!?!?!!!!

Anyhow, thanks everyone........I was gonna blow my top if they said this was the retro payment.

It was probably the DFAS portion. Now they will send the issue to VA for their action. The same happened to me. One day I got a deposit by DFAS for about 200.00 dollars. Boy was I steaming. Then about a week later, while I was composing a very nasty letter to DFAS, my wife called me from work and said, honey, VA deposited 16 thousand dollars into our account today. What is going on? I was so confused I made her draw it out and put in in her personal savings accout so VA could not go back and zap it out hahahahahahahaha.. about a week later I got a letter from VA explaining that due to a new change in the law I was owed this money in the form of a reto payment.

Remember, VA is the one who withheld the money, so they are making the big payments. Hold on for a little while and maybe it will work out. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!!!

DFAS overpaid me $43,000 in 2002. Yep, no bull $43,000. They are STILL collecting it back at 2% interest out of my SS by offset of $153 a month.... They actually asked for it all back. I had moved it to another account, Ha! It is on my credit report, but shows as currently paying, with no late pays. They actually wanted me to sign a payment agreement! Ha!.. I referred them to my laywer. They cant touch my VA comp... so I got a 2% loan... which (we are still arguing this - under Tennessee state law, they will have to pay back the interest on, since it was their mistake)...

In your case though I suspect its just the start of your CRSC like is being said... let us know, so well let others know what to expect.

Yes the deposit was the first part from DFAS, shortly after the VA sent their portion not as much as I thought it should be but better than nothing. It is a shame that I had to write DFAS to get this going.

thanks.

DFAS overpaid me $43,000 in 2002. Yep, no bull $43,000. They are STILL collecting it back at 2% interest out of my SS by offset of $153 a month.... They actually asked for it all back. I had moved it to another account, Ha! It is on my credit report, but shows as currently paying, with no late pays. They actually wanted me to sign a payment agreement! Ha!.. I referred them to my laywer. They cant touch my VA comp... so I got a 2% loan... which (we are still arguing this - under Tennessee state law, they will have to pay back the interest on, since it was their mistake)...

In your case though I suspect its just the start of your CRSC like is being said... let us know, so well let others know what to expect.