VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hisa Grant

Rate this question

BigDog

Question

Does anyone know if you receive a HISA Grant if you loose the right to a SAH or SHA grant in the future?

I want to apply for a bathroom remodel / modification for my father and don't want to stop his chance for a SAH or SHA grant when and if he needs one at a later date.

Thanks in advance for reading and replying.

BigDog

I know this is an old topic, but I am wondering what the results have been for those that have had bathrooms modified due to service-connected conditions? I have severe bouts of arthritis and the only real help at times is soaking for long periods in a tub of hot water. The problem is, when I'm in bad shape I can't get in and out of a tub very easily and the water isn't deep enough to cover me (I'm not a very large person, mind you). I also have real trouble opening door knobs, milk bottles, etc. Can anyone offer their experiences with  asking the VA for help?

Thanks!

Good luck on the Bathroom Remodel. VA IL program can hook you up with a (1) time Grant of $6500.00 and it's not too difficult to get. Just apply on E-Ben to VA Vocational Rehab, do the interview, VA Social Worker eyeballs your house and makes recommendations.

You do have to use a VA Accredited Contractor for the work. You won't end up getting much done for the $6500, handicap Shower, toilet and sink. Anything else is your responsibility. Forget about the VA paying for the walk-in Tub.

I think if he has already received VA Pecuinary Assistance, ramps etc, he may qualify for the much larger, up to $70K home improvement, no experience there.

Semper Fi

Hello. I agree with @admiral7.
Yes, there are many grants who provide the need for a bathroom remodel/modification services, but there are many other contractors who modify and rebuild the bathroom. Last month my friend had remodeled her bathroom by installing a walk-in bathtub for her father by getting in contact with the professional for a walk in tubs Olympia (Independent Home). The professional can into her home and listen to all her concerns and install a walk-in bathtub, which comes with a built-in seat, designer shower head, and non-slippery floor.

Edited by NellieHuey

I used the ILS(independent living service)program from the rehab department to modify and rebuild my bathroom.They moved one wall and added a marble walkin/roll-in shower and enlarged the doors for wheelchair access.Have you tried to use that rsource instead of the grants?This way you don't lose anything and it was all completed within a ccouple of months from applying.Good luck.

Thank you Admiral7.

That thought never crossed my mind. It is great to have a place like Hadit, I have found out about many programs I never heard of before.

I had applied for Voc Rehab, went through the motions, and was one appointment from being told that ILP was the program for me. The Voc Rehab guy said he was going to put me in ILP because I was not able to work or anything. I just assumed ILP was to give me OT or some aids to help me go about my normal day.

But then I ended up in the hospital as usuall and missed the appointment. I did call three times before the date of the appointment to let them know I was not going to make it. The first two times I left a voicemail (they almost never answer the phone), the third time I was able to leave a message with a person.

That was in Oct 2007, I haven't attempted to ask for another appointment or reapply (which ever I need to do) since I seem to end up in the hospital at least once a month.

Now that I know that is something they can do, I will try to get an appointment and maybey I can get lucky enough to make it.

Big dog- maybe the post up at Bath room something topic (gee I forgot what it said) -will help you -I just posted the SAH VA grant info there-