• Topics

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Thomas54

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • I think you mean SMRs, or STRs (your inservice medical records.) For any claim filed ,the VA needs an inservice nexus. That is usually found in a veteran's SMRs. If you tell us why they denied (their actual reasons and bases can be scanned with the evidence list and attached here.) Cover your C file #, name, address prior to scanning it..we could help more. Often VA will state they reviewed the SMRs and found the SMRs were "silent" for any nexus. That is not always the case at all.Some are loud and clear. I think they spend 5 minutes on reviewing SMRs and many of us here have spent days and weeks on them.  
    • Hello everyone, A few days ago I was approved for SSDI and a direct deposit was posted to my account. I have been drawing California State Disability since 1/6/2016 and understand that as far as SDI is concerned, I can draw both at the same time.  However, it is also my understanding that the SSDI used an "offset" formula to reduce the total combined government benefits to not more than 80% of that the SSDI website calls "average current earnings" income?  The Social Securty pamphlet; "How workers compensation and other disability payments may effect your benefits" page 4, reads "we use different formulas to calculate your average current earnings". The information I was able to find is as follows: 504.3What is average current earnings? “Average current earnings” is the highest of: Your average monthly wage upon which your un-indexed disability primary insurance amount is based (see Chapter 7); Your average monthly earnings from covered employment and self-employment during the highest five years in a row after 1950; or Your average monthly earnings based on the single calendar year of highest earnings from covered employment. This single calendar year can be the year that your disability began or any of the five years immediately proceeding the year your disability began.   My income for the past five years is as follows (2013 being highest amount): 2015 $72,421
      2014 $72,934
      2013 $98,924   <--------
      2012 $83,397
      2011 $76,085

My current SDI monthly income is:  $3,272
      My current SSDI monthly income is $2,324
      -----------------------------------------------------
      Total government SDI/SSDI            $5,596 $98,924 dived by 12 =                    $8,243 $5,596 dived by $8,243 =               67.88% of my income in 2013 The question:
      Based on my math and understanding of the rules, it appears to me that I will not have an offset applied to my SSDI?   (I have four months of SDI remaining) Any comments would be great. Mark

• Prayers from me too Buck......try not to worry too much..... (which is so hard to do......)
    • http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/forms/eforms/dd0149.pdf Just put "not applicable" to the in 'injustice' part. Copy ,sign and send to the appropriate address, as directed on the form.  

donews

Peripheral Neuropathy - Va Rating Schedule

12 posts in this topic

Does anyone know the proper rating or diag code for this?

Anyone else here have Peripheral Neuropathy? What rating code did they give you?

Donewsome

I'm assuming it is due to IVDS, so it would be 5243-(dx code for whatever nerve is affected)

Thank you both for your replies.

The reason I was searching for more input is I think they have me rated wrong or atleast under the wrong code.

The gave me SC for Peripheral Neuropathy as secondary to my DMII.

They said it was not in the Rating Schedule so they rated it with the next closest disease.

They are rating me for Paralysis of the Sciatica Nerve. The have me rated at 10% and basically unless I become unable to walk at all I can't get an increase past 10% for each leg. Because the qualifications to get increased in Paralysis of the Sciatica Nerve mostly have nothing to do with my actual condition, therefore I can't show medical evidence of an increase.

I really think they have me under the wrong catagory and just need to find some alternative to suggest to them.

I take Neurontin (Gabapentin) also. I take 6 x 300 mg each day for a total 1800 mg each day.

The reason I was searching for more input is I think they have me rated wrong or atleast under the wrong code.

The gave me SC for Peripheral Neuropathy as secondary to my DMII.

They said it was not in the Rating Schedule so they rated it with the next closest disease.

They are rating me for Paralysis of the Sciatica Nerve. The have me rated at 10% and basically unless I become unable to walk at all I can't get an increase past 10% for each leg. Because the qualifications to get increased in Paralysis of the Sciatica Nerve mostly have nothing to do with my actual condition, therefore I can't show medical evidence of an increase.

I really think they have me under the wrong catagory and just need to find some alternative to suggest to them.

There is no specific diagnostic code for peripheral neuropathy, and the common practice is to rate it in analogy to paralysis of the affected nerve. Most raters will analogize it to paralysis of the common peroneal nerve, but your rater used the sciatic nerve. It doesn't mean that you cannot get a higher evaluation, it depends entirely upon the rater. Some will go up to 20 percent, and even more, but there must be significant objective evidence of disease. Symptoms such as complete loss of protective sensation in a stocking distribution (documented on objective examination), recurrent ulceration, stuff like that are indicators that a higher evaluation would be warranted. Also, if electrodiagnostic studies were to show moderate or severe peripheral neuropathy, you would have an excellent case for a higher rating.

Donewsome,

I also have periphial neuropathy due to DMII. My codes are 8521 for lower-8515 for upper.

I will be appylying for periphial neuropathy of the ulnar nerve and common peroneal nerve. Where and how sould I start? Should I have a private doctor do an exam? Hope to hear from someone. I need advice.