• Topics

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    redacted

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Well I suppose its ok for Lady member like MS berta  but I was referring to the lady members that have Endured MST/PTSD.  I can only imagine they don't care to hear about this type of talk..although were discussing it as  Male Health problem and for the wifes. If its ok with everyone  then OKIE-DOKIE.
    • What does "non forensic DX of ptsd" mean? What I am saying is that the dx did NOT come from the c&p doc but rather my va psychologist. Make sense? im just trying to see if theres a chance with that info. Im pretty confused. I know the ptsd dx is required by a va doc per regs but just dont know that a diagnosis prior to the non favorable c&p would help.
    • Good luck. Sometimes you have to appeal. Good luck as I have had good luck on appeals. I would get an Independent Medical Opinion.
    • I had a C & P done recently., which was outsourced and not done at a VA facility.  When I called the toll free number, they told me that I need to make a written FOIA request.  They also said that the results of the exam have already been uploaded.  I would like to get my copy of the results as soon as possible and would drive down to the St. Petersburg Office to get them, but I am not getting any results trying to find out where the Release of Information Office is in St. Petersburg.  Your thoughts are appreciated.   Thank you.
    • The PTSD Forensic C & P Dr is required to be a Psychiatrist or Psychologist PhD, VA or contract Dr. The C & P exam is now based on the DSM V criteria. GAF's are no longer a significant rating component.  Keep in mind, prior PCP or Psychiatrist/Psychologist's non Forensic DX of PTSD is Trumped by the C & P Psychiatrist/Psychologist PHD's Forensic DX. The C & P Dr opined regarding Depression & Borderline Personality disorder, if Evidence of Record is currently in your C-File, a possible SC for either of those MH conditions is possible. As to your existing SA DX being SC'd Secondary to a PTSD DX, which you don't currently have, chances are slim & None. Per a Hadit posting this am, recent C & P Dr posted in the Vet's DBQ current Medical/ Scientific Articles indicating that PTSD doesn't cause SA, it's actually the other way around, SC SA can result in a Secondary SC for PTSD. Very Interesting! There are a great number of Elderly and not so Elderly SC PTSD Vets that have filed claims for recently DX SA as Secondary to their long standing PTSD SC's. This "New" SA research could be very problematic for their SA Secondary claims. Semper Fi  

donews

Peripheral Neuropathy - Va Rating Schedule

12 posts in this topic

Does anyone know the proper rating or diag code for this?

Anyone else here have Peripheral Neuropathy? What rating code did they give you?

Donewsome

I'm assuming it is due to IVDS, so it would be 5243-(dx code for whatever nerve is affected)

Thank you both for your replies.

The reason I was searching for more input is I think they have me rated wrong or atleast under the wrong code.

The gave me SC for Peripheral Neuropathy as secondary to my DMII.

They said it was not in the Rating Schedule so they rated it with the next closest disease.

They are rating me for Paralysis of the Sciatica Nerve. The have me rated at 10% and basically unless I become unable to walk at all I can't get an increase past 10% for each leg. Because the qualifications to get increased in Paralysis of the Sciatica Nerve mostly have nothing to do with my actual condition, therefore I can't show medical evidence of an increase.

I really think they have me under the wrong catagory and just need to find some alternative to suggest to them.

I take Neurontin (Gabapentin) also. I take 6 x 300 mg each day for a total 1800 mg each day.

The reason I was searching for more input is I think they have me rated wrong or atleast under the wrong code.

The gave me SC for Peripheral Neuropathy as secondary to my DMII.

They said it was not in the Rating Schedule so they rated it with the next closest disease.

They are rating me for Paralysis of the Sciatica Nerve. The have me rated at 10% and basically unless I become unable to walk at all I can't get an increase past 10% for each leg. Because the qualifications to get increased in Paralysis of the Sciatica Nerve mostly have nothing to do with my actual condition, therefore I can't show medical evidence of an increase.

I really think they have me under the wrong catagory and just need to find some alternative to suggest to them.

There is no specific diagnostic code for peripheral neuropathy, and the common practice is to rate it in analogy to paralysis of the affected nerve. Most raters will analogize it to paralysis of the common peroneal nerve, but your rater used the sciatic nerve. It doesn't mean that you cannot get a higher evaluation, it depends entirely upon the rater. Some will go up to 20 percent, and even more, but there must be significant objective evidence of disease. Symptoms such as complete loss of protective sensation in a stocking distribution (documented on objective examination), recurrent ulceration, stuff like that are indicators that a higher evaluation would be warranted. Also, if electrodiagnostic studies were to show moderate or severe peripheral neuropathy, you would have an excellent case for a higher rating.

Donewsome,

I also have periphial neuropathy due to DMII. My codes are 8521 for lower-8515 for upper.

I will be appylying for periphial neuropathy of the ulnar nerve and common peroneal nerve. Where and how sould I start? Should I have a private doctor do an exam? Hope to hear from someone. I need advice.