VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Some Help Filling Out Form 21-4192

Rate this question

Cherie33

Question

Hi All,

I am trying to fill out the VA Form #21-4192 "Request For Employment Information In Connection With Claim For Disability Benefits"

What exactly are they asking?

#8. Amount earned during 12 months (Preceding last date of employment (before deductions)?

#9. Time lost during 12 months preceding last date of employment (due to disability)

Ok....In the year 2004 I made $0.00, In the Year 2005 I made $0.00 and in the year 2006 I made $2000, with $1928 that was reported on my Social Security Earnings Record for self-employment income.

The VA sent this form to me for me to fill out because when I filled out the TDIU form, I told them that I had been self-employed and told them that I only made on average $167.00 monthly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cherie33

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

You would have to report over 800 dollars in any one month period before you would be considered to have had gainful employment. As long as you stayed under that and it may be a larger amount; you still have not had gainful employment according SS and VA regs. I hope this helps.

Danang_1969

You would have to report over 800 dollars in any one month period before you would be considered to have had gainful employment. As long as you stayed under that and it may be a larger amount; you still have not had gainful employment according SS and VA regs. I hope this helps.

Danang_1969

Hey Danang_1969

Thanks for the info, but I am trying to fill out this form. I already know that I did not have gainful employment. I'm sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear. For question #8 and #9, what would I need to fill in there, according to my income that I provided?

Cherie33

• HadIt.com Elder

Okay.

When was your last date of employment?

What did you make the twelve months preceding that date?

How much time did you NOT work during those twelve months preceding your last date of employment?

This time that you did not work is time that you COULD NOT work because of your disability.

So, in the twelve months preceding the earnings that you had in 2006.....how much did you make?

$00.00

And, in the twelve months preceding the earnings you had in 2006, how much work did you miss because of your disability.

From what you have said, I'd say....hmmmm....about 365 days would be a pretty good guess.

Okay.

When was your last date of employment?

What did you make the twelve months preceding that date?

How much time did you NOT work during those twelve months preceding your last date of employment?

This time that you did not work is time that you COULD NOT work because of your disability.

So, in the twelve months preceding the earnings that you had in 2006.....how much did you make?

$00.00

And, in the twelve months preceding the earnings you had in 2006, how much work did you miss because of your disability.

From what you have said, I'd say....hmmmm....about 365 days would be a pretty good guess.

Thanks LarryJ.

I thought that's what I should write, but I wasn't sure. After I read it a few times, it began to get confusing. LOL!

Cherie33

• HadIt.com Elder

Danang, I have a question regards this. I wonder if a person is self employed and receives income over a period of months, even though bank deposits show some more or less months; can that person validate that on a average they were paid a 'certain' amount for each month? Also could expenses involved be deducted and proven by reciepts for the VA? Just curious because self employment doesnt always pan out 'evenly' as a regular job. Sometimes more sometimes less, but overall averages would definitely be below poverty level and gainful employment annually. Thanks.cg

Danang_1969

I "guess"... I would deal with it like a SEP and report an "average" income... just like people on comission do for taxes etc. Average it out over the twelve month period....

I mean you know the hard numbers like what you actually earned, so just keep it simple and go from there.

I havent really looked into this but my best GUESS is that the VA is just like SSA in average income for self-employed.

Now if you were UNABLE to work for certain months those months would have to be removed from the devisor...

so you get

income/number months worked

thats how you would report it to IRS, and that how I'd report it to VA....

BUT - this is just my guess based upon experience... I wouldnt worry too much if the income is above $800 on average unless you factor in 12 months instead of months worked and it still is. So

income/12

if its over $800 per month it could get a bit sticky....