This eBook will teach you how to get C-Files (paper and electronic) from the VA Regional Office.
How to Get your VA C-File

• Topics

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• TKR; Arthritis and in service fracture
      Does it make any difference being a NSC? A lot of us Vietnam Veterans sure messed up , when we got hurt we just sucked it up and never went  and recieved medical help back in those days, I fell off a Duce &Half front bumper landed on both knees, I got some pain meds from the medic but it was never log down, but my knees turn blue & purplish for about 2 weeks  and I was in a lot of pain  but I just endured it...if I had known  then what I know now  hell yes I'd reported it. Now years later I have arthritics in both my knees , I believe that's why because of that but can't get it service connected, most of my buddys from back then have either passed on or I can't find any of them  so no proof  my word only and with the VA that's not good enough...Hell who would think to take a pic of my knees eh! Reason I mention that about a pic?  I took a pic of one of my unit awards from Nam that was not on my DD-214  and submitted that and the VA used it as part of my Vietnam service to place me at a certain Hostile Area in Nam that also was not on DD-214  It has my full name ,rank an unit/company engraved on it.   many veterans that are disabled today that can't get an award or claim S.C. because we never reported a lot of shi** that happen to us over there. is a crying shame ........Buck
    • CLAIM COMPLETE--Frm 80% to 100% Comb Rtg
      Congrats Coastie.  Always good to read good news. Look in to all your benefits.  Good luck and take care.   
    • Aortic valve /ihd
      To add...I commend you for being willing to take the time to go over his Blood Chem reports. I looked up every single thing in my husband's medical records...and studied every blood chem report very carefully for my DMII claim. Even the Brain MRI and his autopsy became relevant again in another way of reading their info, for the undiagnosed DMII death claim. I was more thorough for this claim than when I filed for wrongful death under FTCA/1151 because there was no internet in those days, only some medical libraries , none near me, and some didn't even have a Xerox machine.....lots of work and frustration... The internet made the DMII claim easier in many respects.   I am sure my IMO fees would have been much higher if I had not taken the time to present a cover letter, detailing everything I could find that led to the diabetes diagnosis based on documented readings of Glucose , BUN, GFR, SGOT, Albumin ,etc etc and even an odd prescribed med called Swish and Swallow...when I found out what it was really for, I knew ,step by step, that I had built a solid case, that would warrant a great IMO..  My point here is when we leave no stone unturned, it can become  the pathway to success, and makes us more willing to spend an IMO fee when we have a good idea of the outcome of the IMO.   These are 2 good web site for Renal(Kidney) Disease: http://www.renal.org/information-resources/the-uk-eckd-guide/ckd-stages#sthash.KgzerQeZ.dpbs http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-communication-programs/nkdep/learn/causes-kidney-disease/testing/understand-gfr/Pages/understand-gfr.aspx This site has a serum creatinine calculator, if you have his creatinine values. VA might have erred in his  glomerular filtration rate but other factors can change it  “They said they did not feel his diabetes had progressed that much.  His aid 8.1.” Do you mean his HBAIC is 8.1 ? “What's a Normal Hemoglobin A1c Test? For people without diabetes, the normal range for the hemoglobin A1c test is between 4% and 5.6%. Hemoglobin A1c levels between 5.7% and 6.4% indicate increased risk of diabetes, and levels of 6.5% or higher indicate diabetes. Because studies have repeatedly shown that out-of-control diabetes results in complications from the disease, the goal for people with diabetes is a hemoglobin A1c less than 7%. The higher the hemoglobin A1c, the higher the risks of developing complications related to diabetes.”   http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/guide/glycated-hemoglobin-test-hba1c As this site says the risks for complications are higher when a HBAIC is over 7.    
    • CLAIM COMPLETE--Frm 80% to 100% Comb Rtg
      THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!  (Buck52; Navy04; killemall; eagle1012004; Gastone; j92mike; Palma114; TALON II FE; Hamslice; ITChief67; ALL the HADIT.COM Elders) for your kind words and support, it's been tuff sleeping these last few days or getting back to normal routine for that matter! LOL BUCK52...thank you sir for the additional benefit, I/d card, health & life insurance, prop tax info. I really needed that since I been researching the internet to see where I'm suppose to go for the family i.d. and such. Also, please do share my story in "success stories", that's sounds cool. For once, I truly feel successful from having hung in there on this thing & that I didn't let up off the gas pedal much or become strayed from it by all my everyday stresses.   I will say that, I'm so confused as on how the VA decided on my retropay $$$ amt. My new info is & effective dates is (ATTACHED) what conditions were granted NEW, INCR, or not increased since I'm still waiting on the BBE to arrive but since HADIT.COM is a family, can any of you take a stab at this one for me? Thanks again!!! SEMPER PARTATUS  
    • My husband died in motorcycle accident
      page 1006, Yes click on Ms Berta link and it will take you to the Hadit Podcast  just click on the topic for 5-24-16- 7:00pm eastern 6:00pm central and wait a few seconds and click 1   call in and talk on the phone if you want to  and ask questions any question & like Ms berta mention you can always go back and listen to the show. Also for future reference  Ms T has put up a ''podcast'' link inside the ''DashBoard'' on the left  side of the hadit screen with all the links to hadit Note: Some times its easier to understand things that is said to us to where we can understand it a lot better than reading in a post or email because things can be  quite complicated with the VA  Such as your Case. These wonderful people are just like family. jmo ....................Buck
    • One of 11 Items remanded to AMC
      Berta - I have 100% with P&T
    • Just diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome
      This is an award for Sjogren's Syndrome from the BVA.: http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/view.jsp?FV=http://www.va.gov/vetapp14/Files5/1441401.txt The case contains a good nexus the veteran had: “Regarding the second and third Hickson elements, in-service incurrence and evidence of a medical nexus, the Board acknowledges the Veteran's service treatment records are silent for a diagnosis of or treatment for Sjögren's syndrome.  However, an August 1985 service treatment record indicates the Veteran received care for arthralgia of her left foot, during a period of active duty service.  Additionally, in an April 2008 letter, Dr. J. W., the Veteran's treating rheumatologist, opined that the Veteran's Sjögren's syndrome initially manifested during her period of active service between 1984 and 1987.  In his rationale for the rendered opinion, Dr. J. W. explained that the symptoms in question were migratory symmetrical polyarthralgias, symptoms that are quite typical of early Sjögren's syndrome, and eventually became the swollen joints the Veteran now suffers from.  He further explained that the joints in question, hands and feet, were also typical of Sjögren's syndrome.  He also noted that the Veteran had a positive antinuclear antibody test which showed a slow progression of the initial illness, and had lymphadenopathy, which demonstrated that the Veteran's immune system was beginning to be overactive.    Additionally, the September 2008 VA examiner opined that the Veteran's symptoms of inflammatory arthritis first manifested in August 1985, and that it was easy to deduce that those symptoms were related to the Veteran's current Sjögren's syndrome.   This BVA case reflects the diagnostic code and rating info for Sjogren’s Syndrome. http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/view.jsp?FV=http://www.va.gov/vetapp14/Files6/1451816.txt This syndrome can appear initially as polyarthralgia, as well as inflammatory arthritis per the above BVA case.  
    • My husband died in motorcycle accident
      You can hear the show here: http://community.hadit.com/forum/115-veterans-helping-veterans-va-claims-podcast/#gsc.tab=0 Also, if you call in, you need to hit the #1 button on your phone to get into the call in queue. The shows are all archived too and can be listened to anytime.  
    • Appeal Closed in Ebenefits
      Thanks for your response. No, actually. I was orignally service connected 50% PTSD in 2010 with an effective date of 2001. After winning a claim after 9 years I was estatic and didn't care what the percentage was. In 2013 I filled for an increase for my PTSD and was sent through a c&p. In 2014, I was granted a 100% rating for anxiety disorder. They connected it with my PTSD but listed it as a seperate disability. I appealed the effective date of the decison stating something like "if it's related to my PTSD then it should have the effective date of my PTSD. Well we both know the VA doesn't work that way. I provided medical evidence showing an increase in anxiety and ptsd and that's why they took the effective sate back a year. Hope this helps!

• HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran providing FREE information and community to veterans since 1997.

I am proud that I've been able to offer all that HadIt.com has for free for 19 years and continue to do so. HadIt.com does accept contributions to help with costs we also offer paid ad free subscriptions. None of the paid options are required. The forum, the website, news site and podcast are free and will remain so. If you choose to support the site with a contribution or a subscription it is appreciated but never required. If you choose to make a contribution or purchase an ad free subscription, you can do so here. 

woodenturkey

1-800-827-1000

28 posts in this topic

When I called the toll free number this morning, I was talking to a lady in South Carolina.

I didn't talk to the usual ones at the Roanoke, Virginia R.O

Is this why?

Josephine

klhg

Edited by woodenturkey

This could be a good change.....

Lets see how it goes. Will this eliminate our access to the rare individual who could tell you what was going on and replace them with individuals trained only to release specific information?

Not sure about it.

Best regards,

Tyler

Lets see how it goes. Will this eliminate our access to the rare individual who could tell you what was going on and replace them with individuals trained only to release specific information?

Not sure about it.

Best regards,

Tyler

I noticed a great change for the better, instead of

"its with the _____ team" i was given very specific info on my claim.

Last week I talked to a guy in St Louis and he could not tell me much more than what I already knew. This morning I call and talked with a lady, not sure where she was at, but she could not tell me anything about my claim beside it was still being process. They have NO information on IRISs.

I got an IRIS on yesterday and was told that my appeal claim cannot be process until my reopen claim has been completed. Months ago I got an IRIS telling me that they could not process my current claims until they complete my appeal claim. I have no idea about a reopen claim and they also stated in yesterdays IRIS that my my temporary 100% for service connected right knee replacement maybe tied into reopen claim and cannot be completed until the reopen claim has been processed. My appeal was for my right knee, Is it possible that they could have changed appeal claim to a reopen claim?

Currently, the Veterans Affairs has been putting the Veterans Affairs Regional Office calls to a Veterans Affairs Regional Office Call center. In the past when you called 1 800 827 1000, your call would connect you to the VA RO that handled your claim or had jurisdiction. What they have done is focused the calls to I believe 4 "Call Centers" per se. The center that is handling Buffalo's calls is in Cleveland, Ohio now.....

What I would like to know is if you are a Service Connected Disabled Veteran who has a claim in or has a rating decision are the following:

1. Have you called the 1 800 827 1000 number and where was it previously routed to in the past (city) and where is it being routed to now (city)?

2. What is your opinion of the service you received in the past by calling the 800 827 1000 number and what is it now or when they transfer to a center that does not have physical access to your file?

3. Do you have concerns? Issues? (With the new change in the pipeline)........

Here is some food for thought...

Will re-routing the calls help the Local VA Regional Offices to process more claims, less errors, etc. by allowing the contact team to do other things than answer calls?

Will this change produce positive or negative affects on veterans themselves?

I am trying to obtain the opinions of veterans nation wide on their dealings with this change.

If you want to address them with me please send me a message here and reply so that we can get this solved.....

Buffalo, New York has already switched...California is due by next week.

Not sure about it.

Best regards,

Tyler

Tyler,

Believe me, when I have talked to South Carolina, I sure receive a lot more respect than I have at my local R.O.

For some reason also, you could call three times in one morning and receive the correct answer each time,

I used to think the same information was not available to each computer.

Betty

Here is some food for thought...

Will re-routing the calls help the Local VA Regional Offices to process more claims, less errors, etc. by allowing the contact team to do other things than answer calls?

Not unless they promoted the phone guys to DRO's etc...

Spike, I noticed and posted last week that when I tried to call Buffalo twice the week before about where my C-file was the people in Ohio (as I found out with the 2nd call) had absolutely no idea about my file... they even told me that I must never have requested it! They said that they sent a email to Buffalo's privacy office and I never heard back but the file arrived a couple days later.

I am going to do everything by hand now... no mail, nothing. I rode my motorcycle to Buffalo today from Rochester to drop off paperwork for my appeal (60 pages) and my new PTSD claim (45 pages long). It was worth 10 bucks and being cold to see the lady at the dest stamp each and every page with a date stamp.

It might be good for consistancy... and THANK GOD nobody has to deal with that angry guy Bernard anymore.... but 4-7 call centers...... unless they hire more people to help at those I can't see anything good coming of it.

During the past 2 weeks I have talked to the call center in South Carolina and they helped me. One even faxed a Document to me.

I think it is an asset and definatly an improvement.

Edited by jbasser

I called the 800# today and talked to Carl. He was really nice, but couldn't tell me anything about my appeal. We talked a bit and he is a Service Rep. He said, "when the RO gets busy or short of staff, they have him and other service reps to fill in and answer calls". I was a bit surprised. Explains alot! :) Vicky

Not being in contact with your RO is not a good thing in my opinion. If someone could get the direct number for VARO's and post it that would be appreciated.

Not being in contact with your RO is not a good thing in my opinion. If someone could get the direct number for VARO's and post it that would be appreciated.

my RO was never any real help

I had two Regional Offices and they both were ignorant and rotten to the core.

Thank goodness, where my file is now, at its permanent resting place, all of the staff

went bye bye and at least I have new people rating my claim.

In fact it is rated. It is back in D. C due to the fast letter.

Betty

Land Line:

I have noticed that when I call my VARO after hours I get Denver, Co. When I call before hours I get a Tennesse RO. During regular hours I get my regular Arknasas VARO.

Skype (internet Phone):

When I use Skype and call the 800 # I get New York Central Office every time. This is kind of good because the AMC is just up stairs in the Central Office.

What? You have received 3 different offices, make that four? What is going on here?

Here is a fact! Buffalo VARO has 300 staff members. Of that they have 22% that handle claimes. They have 50 Adjuticators and 15 Raters. Actually at this point they have 13 (but for numbers sake say 15 because they lost two and are replacing) So 22 % handle claims....Here is another point according to a source the other 78% are Supervisors and Managers. 600,000 Backlog and 22% handling claims...if this is a national epidemic no wonder why we have a backlog. Too top heavy. Another thing where is the support for the VA staff to work on a budget i.e. to even work claims on weekends to catch up....they are still working on the previous budget on extension of using the next budget to cover these expenses....

my RO was never any real help

I agree for I deal with Montgomery also. However, I now find that this new system is even worse (for me) than trying to deal with Montgomery. At least with Montgomery I could discuss the difference in the weather between middle and north Alabama! hahahhahahaha. The entire RO is simply screwed up as evidenced by their nearly 50 percent appeal rate.

What? You have received 3 different offices, make that four? What is going on here?

Same here Spike - even when I call during my normal business hours I get St louie, S.C., New York and N.C. I have tested to see what happens by calling approximately 30 mins apart - the results are the same I get three to four different offices. This is status quo for the VA. Hell they can not even get a "new and successful" plan right. 9 centers my butt, they are just bouncing calls around. Maybe it is based upon your home phone number that you still have to input, call too much and you get the ole run around, call once every six months and you will get the same call center each time. I do not know but so far with the bouncing that I have received I get a lot of "I really do not know what they are doing in Montgomery Sir". Well hell if you do not know then forward me to Montgomery.

I called today and still got Waco so there's been no change here yet.

When I call, we get Detroit, who tells me to go ahead and call, but they don't have any info.

Maybe when we call we should ask who we are talking to and where. I always write down the names of the people I talk too.

When I call, we get Detroit, who tells me to go ahead and call, but they don't have any info.

I called today. I told them I was checking on the status of my appeal. The guy asked me to hold on. He came back in about two mins and said "Mr. H, I have reviewed you file and see that you called yesterday and nothing has changed since then. Please do not call again for you will be notified vai U.S. mail when a decision is made" click..... he just hung up befor I could say anything. The sorry, worthless, air stealing SOB. I hope he chokes in his sleep tonight for his rudness and downright arrgoance towards veterans.

Screw them. I think that now I will go to the RO and sit there. When they ask me what I am doing I will telling them that I am simply waiting on a decision. hahahahah Guess they will cart me off at the end of the day!

I would LOVE to know the names of the people and their location, when you have a complaint with a brief description of the summary situation.

I called today. I told them I was checking on the status of my appeal. The guy asked me to hold on. He came back in about two mins and said "Mr. H, I have reviewed you file and see that you called yesterday and nothing has changed since then. Please do not call again for you will be notified vai U.S. mail when a decision is made" click..... he just hung up befor I could say anything. The sorry, worthless, air stealing SOB. I hope he chokes in his sleep tonight for his rudness and downright arrgoance towards veterans.

Screw them. I think that now I will go to the RO and sit there. When they ask me what I am doing I will telling them that I am simply waiting on a decision. hahahahah Guess they will cart me off at the end of the day!

Ricky,

Does the VARO prepare a "Record of Contact" or something like that each time a veteran calls or comes in? Maybe you could obtain a copy of today's record and report that wonderful person to the highest level possible with copies to everyone in between.

Ron

Called 1800, nice lady, told me I should hear something in 30 to 60 days, claims in rating now.

She didnt tell me where she was but she knew where I was.

Ricky,

Does the VARO prepare a "Record of Contact" or something like that each time a veteran calls or comes in? Maybe you could obtain a copy of today's record and report that wonderful person to the highest level possible with copies to everyone in between.

Ron

Ron, I think it is hit an miss as to whether they keep the record or not. However, I doubt they keep names associtated with the record - at least not with simply contact team contacts.