VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Military Sexual Trauma Counseling

Rate this question

Wings

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

VHA DIRECTIVE 2005-015

March 25, 2005

BACKGROUND

Public Law (Pub. L.) 102-585 authorized the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to provide outreach and establish MST counseling and treatment programs for women veterans who experienced incidents of sexual trauma while on active duty. Pub. L. 103-452 authorized VA to provide MST counseling and treatment to men as well as women. Pub. L. 106-117 expanded the focus on MST Programs to include outreach and extended VA’s authority to provide MST programs until December 2004. Pub. L. 108-422 extends VA’s authority permanently (without an expiration date) and extends MST counseling and related treatment to active duty for training (ADUTRA) service members.

see attached pdf

MST_Law.pdf

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

So how does a female vet request this MST if her VAMC will not coperate? My mental health clinic maintains that I have no sexual trauma proble but I'm a substance abusing borderline personality type.

VHA DIRECTIVE 2005-015

March 25, 2005

BACKGROUND

Public Law (Pub. L.) 102-585 authorized the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to provide outreach and establish MST counseling and treatment programs for women veterans who experienced incidents of sexual trauma while on active duty. Pub. L. 103-452 authorized VA to provide MST counseling and treatment to men as well as women. Pub. L. 106-117 expanded the focus on MST Programs to include outreach and extended VA’s authority to provide MST programs until December 2004. Pub. L. 108-422 extends VA’s authority permanently (without an expiration date) and extends MST counseling and related treatment to active duty for training (ADUTRA) service members.

see attached pdf

Edited by goofycow

• HadIt.com Elder
So how does a female vet request this MST if her VAMC will not coperate? My mental health clinic maintains that I have no sexual trauma proble but I'm a substance abusing borderline personality type.

Sister, You have GOT to take names! The Sexual Trauma Treatment ACt does not mandate that a vet be service-connected in order to recieve counseling. If your MH Clinic refuses to provide treatment, then I would definately send a letter to the director and enclose a copy of congressional legislation. Go through your chain of command, ans see what kind of answers you get. Go from there. Keep us posted, and I will do what I can to help. I would be willing to write you a buddy letter! Hang in there!! HUGS!! ~Wings

Sister, You have GOT to take names! The Sexual Trauma Treatment ACt does not mandate that a vet be service-connected in order to recieve counseling. If your MH Clinic refuses to provide treatment, then I would definately send a letter to the director and enclose a copy of congressional legislation. Go through your chain of command, ans see what kind of answers you get. Go from there. Keep us posted, and I will do what I can to help. I would be willing to write you a buddy letter! Hang in there!! HUGS!! ~Wings

Contact your womens health care coordinator for help.

help!!!! iF THIS IS A DUPICATE POST, PLEASE FORGIVE. my computer is possessed and so am I!!!!!

SISTERS!!!! I really, really need your help!!!! My last shrink appointment was 2/15/06. At that meeting I was told in no uncertain terms that I DID NOT meet the criteria for MST counseling because what I went thru, every recruit had to go thru. My problem with not wanting to go to medical doctors is explained by my having borderline traits. Isn't that sweet???

I have talked to the patient rep, I have talked to the so-called womens vet rep. She runs the womens clinic & she refuses to get involved exept to suggest my case be transfered to another clinic. She does not tell mental health how to run their department.

Meanwhile I still have this problem with docs....What the Hell do I do???? By the way, is it normal to be diagnosed with borderline traits when you are in your mid to late 50s????

help!!!! iF THIS IS A DUPICATE POST, PLEASE FORGIVE. my computer is possessed and so am I!!!!!

SISTERS!!!! I really, really need your help!!!! My last shrink appointment was 2/15/06. At that meeting I was told in no uncertain terms that I DID NOT meet the criteria for MST counseling because what I went thru, every recruit had to go thru. My problem with not wanting to go to medical doctors is explained by my having borderline traits. Isn't that sweet???

I have talked to the patient rep, I have talked to the so-called womens vet rep. She runs the womens clinic & she refuses to get involved exept to suggest my case be transfered to another clinic. She does not tell mental health how to run their department.

Meanwhile I still have this problem with docs....What the Hell do I do???? By the way, is it normal to be diagnosed with borderline traits when you are in your mid to late 50s????

PM me with your info on what happened and when and I'll see what I can do (or suggest).