VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Compensation For Knee Replacement

Rate this topic

I am currently rated 70% for Service Connected right and left knee injuries. Does anyone know if I can have a knee replaced and draw 100% compensation using a private orthopedic surgeon at a non VA hospital? This is my first post, and I appreciate any and all information and help.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit.

I think that you can but to be sure wait for someone who knows for sure.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

HI Jc,

Just googled "compensation at Non-Va hospital" and theres a bit of detail to read. regards a 21 day stay and other recuperation info. While others, like Pete, Ricky or Rental may have 'quicker' answers at least I'll give you something to read until then!

Section J. Compensation Under 38 CFR 4.28, 38 CFR 4.29, and 38 CFR 4.30

§4.29 Ratings for service-connected disabilities requiring hospital treatment or observation.

M21-1MR, Part IV, Subpart ii, Chapter 2, Section J

Best to ya and Welcome to Hadit!

cg

I am currently rated 70% for Service Connected right and left knee injuries. Does anyone know if I can have a knee replaced and draw 100% compensation using a private orthopedic surgeon at a non VA hospital? This is my first post, and I appreciate any and all information and help.

I have not had a TKR but the VA did compensate me at the 100% rate for two months after I had arthroscopic surgery done on my knee by the local (Non VA) doctor. It was a matter of letting them know

JC,

It doesn't matter who does the surgery the VA will automatically give you a temporary rating of 100% for 1 year. All you need to do is get the discharge papers and any other records showing that it was done. If you have a rep, take it to him/her and they will submit the claim. If no rep, submit it yourself. The EED of benefits will be the day of surgery. The new knee is great but the Physical Therapy was a nightmare. :angry: Good luck and hope this helps.

Jmack

HI Jc,

Just googled "compensation at Non-Va hospital" and theres a bit of detail to read. regards a 21 day stay and other recuperation info. While others, like Pete, Ricky or Rental may have 'quicker' answers at least I'll give you something to read until then!

Section J. Compensation Under 38 CFR 4.28, 38 CFR 4.29, and 38 CFR 4.30

§4.29 Ratings for service-connected disabilities requiring hospital treatment or observation.

M21-1MR, Part IV, Subpart ii, Chapter 2, Section J

Best to ya and Welcome to Hadit!

cg