VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam For Peripheral Nerves

Rate this question

Dave

Question

I am serviced connected for diabetes and filed a new claim for peripheral neuropathy (PN) secondary to diabetes (burning feet and hands). The VA is sending me, according to the VCAA letter, for a C&P Exam for Neurologic Peripheral Nerves and Endocrine Diabetes Mellitus at the local VA hospital. Does anyone know how the VA tests for peripheral neuropathy?

Thank you

Dave

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

yes, they will prick your feet to see if you feel it and ask you about your symptoms. They should have done an EMG before the C&P exam. They want to see if your feet and hands are numb. If you have pain tell them you have burning and tingling pain. It is pretty subjective.

• HadIt.com Elder

They may do a nerve conduction test where the put a needled in one place and a second needle zap you and measure how long it takes for electricity to go from A to B

They may do a nerve conduction test where the put a needled in one place and a second needle zap you and measure how long it takes for electricity to go from A to B

I had one from a civilian doctor and it came back as "normal"; the reflex test where they take the mallet and hit you on the knees was abnormal. :P

Still I am on neurotin for the burning and tingling in my leg and feet.

Guest terrysturgis

When I had my C&P for PN, the examiner checked for range of motion, strength of grip in my hands, sensitivity of both upper and lower body and how I walk. I believe the walking is called gait.

My outside doctor also wrote a letter saving PN is a known secondary condition of DMII and I have it.

Also use the search funtion and find the VA DMII training letter to see if you have any other secondary complications, HBP, eyes, etc.

Take care. Terry Sturgis

Thanks for the advice. My private diabetic doctor also wrote that my PN in my hands and feet was caused by my service connected diabetes. I provided that statement to the VA. Should that at least service connect the PN as secondary to DM II, but probably at 0 percent? How is PN rated?

Thanks

Dave

Guest terrysturgis

I do not know how to connect the 38 cfr regs for PN but I can tell you that in my claim the lower body rating is 40% bilaterial and upper body is 20% bilaterial. Range of motion and sensitivity is what my examiner used to apply the ratings. My DMII is rated at 40%. When the examiner moves your legs or hands, if it hurts, say so. I usually try to ignore the pain but I need several medications to help get to sleep at night. Take care. Terry Sturgis