VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam For Peripheral Nerves

Rate this question

Dave

Question

I am serviced connected for diabetes and filed a new claim for peripheral neuropathy (PN) secondary to diabetes (burning feet and hands). The VA is sending me, according to the VCAA letter, for a C&P Exam for Neurologic Peripheral Nerves and Endocrine Diabetes Mellitus at the local VA hospital. Does anyone know how the VA tests for peripheral neuropathy?

Thank you

Dave

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well I had my PN "test" by the VA. I kid you not, it entirely consisted of the nurse (not a doctor) taking a Q-Tip and breaking it and poked my hands and feet and told me to close my eyes and say "sharp" or "dull". No EMG test, no test to measure blood flow differences between the upper and lower body -- no, just a broken Q-Tip test -- unreal.

Dave

• HadIt.com Elder

Dave

That is about what my test for PN consisted of was pin pricks on my hands and feet. I did have EMG but that was ignored.

Guest terrysturgis

Dave, you should go to the records office and request a copy of the exam. Usually takes about a week. You should be able to tell from that information how the exam went. Good luck. Terry Sturgis

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes wait and see what the nurse has to say before you complain about an inadequate exam.

Thanks Pete and Terry,

The nurse was very nice, but the exam was quick. I thought they would do an EMG and I thought I was going to see a doctor. Anyway, at very least, my doctor says I have PN and it was caused by diabetes. So, I think VA will have to connect it secondary to diabetes. I saw where PN is usually rated complete or incomplete as mild, moderate and severe. I think PN is rated as complete (70 dominent or 60), incomplete severe (50/40), moderate (40/30), mild (20/20). I would think mine warrants between moderate and mild for upper and lower hands and feet. Again, I was just expecting a doctor and the EMG. The nurse, again, was very very nice. Now, I'll just wait and coninue taking my medication.

Dave