VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C & P Exam For Ptsd

Rate this question

Erich

Question

I have a C & P exam scheduled for 10/14/08 and I think it could be to determine if I have PTSD. I filed a claim in Feb 2007 and later amended it to include PTSD. I did this after my last C & P examiner advised me to apply for this.

I saw a young woman in her 20's about nine months ago who screened me for PTSD treatment and she later told me that I have PTSD symptoms but my main problem was Depression.... and therefore didn't qualify for their PTSD treatment program. I think there was more going on than that because even though I was wounded by shell fragments from a grenade, I did not get a purple heart credited to my records. I am 20% service connected for these wounds though.

I was hit in my chest, buttox, and both legs by shell fragments from a grenade that I think exploded on the roof of the bunker I was in. My CO had already identified me as a "pot head" and was in the process of giving me an "Undesireable Discharge" when I got blasted by grenade. I was not offered drug rehab which sucks... [My discharge was upgraded to Honorable about a year after I got out in 1971] However, to further complicate matters, my Squad Leader was a homosexual who had twice made advances towards me. Both times I woke and he was sitting up next to me on my bed. The 2nd time I rept him to my CO who I believe did nothing. I think there is a good chance this Sgt might have been behind the grenade that got me???

Anyway, when they screened me for PTSD treatment I had to take a 500+ questionaire which was a big problem for me. I was unable to concentrate and focus on the questions after about 30-40 minutes [about halfway thru] and it also gave me a headache. So the last 200+ questions were probably not answered right?? I'm concerned they might ask me to do this again... is this part of the C & P exam for PTSD?

I called Indianapolis VARO and asked them if this exam is for PTSD and they wouldn't tell me. The lady just said it was to further evaluate my condition. Then she said she needed to document my file that I had called...

I know there is a lot at stake and I'm very nervous. Can anyone tell me what I can expect if this exam is for PTSD?

Also... I'm told I can't get Depression service connected because I didn't seek treatment in the service or within 1 year of discharge. Can someone confirm if this is true?

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I had my C & P exam and my wife went with me. She stayed for about an hour and gave all her input. Then I told the examiner my story. It was hard for me to tell everything especially about the sexual harrassment and drug dependence. But I told him all that I remembered. A week later I had a clinic appt and the Nurse Practioner told me I was diagnosed with PTSD from C&P exam. I didn't feel comfortable asking him about details of rept. I was just relieved that someone finally heard me and believed what I had to say.

I have since been referred to the "Vet Center" and had appt with the Director. He set me up with an individual therapist next Tues. He also said they will probably put me into a weekly group which I am looking forward too.

I plan to wait a month or two to let the process work and see if they come up with a fair rating. In the meantime I hope to get better with the support of the Vet Center.

Thanks again to everyone for your help and advice

• HadIt.com Elder

Erich

Stay in treatment regardless of your rating. The initial rating is just the beginning of the process usually. If you get 50% rating for PTSD you want to eventually get your 100% or IU. The way to do this is to stay in treatment so you build a mountain of documentation. Don't get a rating and then disappear. Make the VA work for you.

Erich,everyone gave you some good information,but make sure you read and comprehend what john999 wrote,because that is some very good information.If you are still having flashbacks about getting wounded by that grenade, that is a stressor withthan itself and you definite have PTSD.(1)Being diagnose with ptsd (2)Wounded by grenade (3)Having nitemares about it.those are the three things it takes to get service connected for post-traumatic stress disorder,but remember you have to be diagnose by a clinical psychologist or a psychiatrist and it is best to get you a private psy.

mobie

mobile,

take her with you okay i think it will really help do not loofe this one too

Bill

My husband couldn't even finish the tests, which actually ended up working in his favour.

If you need to take a break because the questions are bringing up stuff tell them, this will be noted in the C&P findings, take a break for 5 minutes and sit back down and try again. Take as many breaks as you feel you need to. Don't let anyone pressure you into a timeslot. My husband took 5 hours to complete one test, and they had to let him.