VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question On Old Claim

Rate this question

tagandbag

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have a question. I filed a claim in 1971 for typhus and secondary conditions. It was denied and I never replied with a NOD or anything. I had actually forgot about it until I filed for PTSD in 2007 and included a claim for typhus with it. Of course they denied it again as unproven. I have those medical records and it does say unproven, but suspected, along with treatment and symptoms of a tropical disease. The medical records show without a doubt that I had some type of disease. So, I am thinking It should be service connected for a tropical disease, even if I dont get a %. So, if that is possible to get it sc'ed, would it go back to 1971 or would it be considered a new claim. I hope you can follow what I am saying and I guess it is hypothetical. I relayed this information to my atty. that recently took my case. He did respond with a NOD, that relates to this and sent it to the VA.

T&B

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta, I don't think it was malaria, I believe malaria will stay in your blood forever and you have relapses from it. Dengue fever possible, but the symptoms were more than likely scrub typhus. Also I believe dengue fever is not as common in southeast asia. The medical records strongly suggest typhus, but the test back then were not very reliable and expensive to do. Rather than go through that it was easier for them to suspect rather than prove it was typhus. There are many tropical diseases from that area, so they sort of left the door wide open on that aspect of it. They can deny it was typhus but they can not deny that I had a tropical disease of some sort. So, I am compiling a list of all tropical diseases mostly associated with that area of southeast asia, along with the symptoms and short term and long term effects. It really is narrowed down to typhus, especially scrub. So, if my atty thinks he can get something out of this. At least I can do some legwork and get him as much info as I can. Maybe I should make a multiple choice test for VARO and see if they can pick out the right answer on which tropical disease I had. Berta, If you find any more info, I ccertainly will appreciate it. I need help to put the pieces together on this. Thanks for you time.

T&B

Yes -you can certainly rule out dengue fever based on your symptoms.

I have seen quite a few Vietnam vet dengue fever claims at the BVA

"A global pandemic began in Southeast Asia in the 1950s and by 1975 DHF had become a leading cause of death among many children in many countries in that region. Epidemic dengue has become more common since the 1980s. By the late 1990s, dengue was the most important mosquito-borne disease affecting humans after malaria, there being around 40 million cases of dengue fever and several hundred thousand cases of dengue hemorrhagic fever each year" Wikipedia

If you have any disability at all that can be associated the the tropical disease or infection you had- it is worth the time and trouble to access all the info you can.

I worked with a Marine who had got malaria at Camp Lejeune.

He still claimed residual problems from the malaria many years after service.

lost connection and couldnt put this-

Tropical disease-by presumption- any tropical disease manifested at 10% within one year after discharge qualifies for a presumption of service connected.

Did you have any symptoms documented at all or any treatment within the one year after service?

What is odd though is these are the only tropical disease the presumption applies to-

amebiasis, blackwater fever,cholera,dracontiasis,sdysentry,filiasis. leishmaniasis (this is catchy and I know a lawyer sueing VA for family catchy it from vet)

lkala-azar,loiasis,malaria,onchocerciasis, oroya fever,pinta, plaque,schistomiasis, yaws, and yellow fever.

Of course other tropical diseases can be service connected by direct SC evidence.

38 USC 1101 , 38 CFR 3.309 (bv) 2008