• Topics

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    bigclemdawg

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • ok I got all my ducks in a row with it.. I take it to a legion rep, he says he will lose his job if he submitted it. and then my state rep says that is the last step if the nod doesn't go through. I was also told if I submit a cue and it doesnt go through there is no appeals no nothing, I lose my benefits for it!? is this true!?
    • Yes, yes, yes, and again...yes.  Not because you "need" to, they will tell you to your face that they have all the pertinent information on hand.  I know because I was told this, said I will send anyway, reaffirmed that I don't need to...sent copies of SMR and such, claim was denied anyway.  Examiner claimed on the C&P report that he DID NOT view my SMR.  And so then, neither did  the RO, who had the copied SMR entries filed as my evidence. IF you don't send them, they will definitely not look at the electronic copy on hand to see what's what.  And if you do send them, they may or may not look at them anyway.  But then at least you will have covered all your bases.
    • I have been retired for 7 years now and was rated at 60% for various disabilities after I retired.   One month after I retired, I had a colonoscopy; benign polyps, a type that could turn to cancer, were found and removed.  I have had polyps removed twice since then.  Now I would like to get my polyps service connected at 0% in case something more serious were to develop in the future.   My question:  Since my polyps diagnosis was only a month after I retired, do I need a NEXUS letter to say the polyps were "more than likely" to have developed while on active duty, or would it be presumed the polyps developed while I was still on active duty? I looked at the presumptives in Title 38, and I don't think this fell under any of the automatics. Thanks for any help.
    • Thanks............
    • Thanks for all the replies...............

tom91

Privileges Due To Disability

14 posts in this topic

According to the VA website, a vet must be rated 100% in order to obtain an ID card for PX privileges; however, it seems when I was discharged for disabilities in 1991, the army would base it upon 30%+. Does anyone have any further information?

Also, if my claim is approved and found to be an error back to 1991, it would have been a 30% rating at that time. If I'm correct on ID priv @30%+, will they honor that privilege now or deny it since the VA guidelines is 100%. It by all means is not the first priority with this claim but certainly curious.

This is just an educated guess but they would retire those with 30% or more disability and as a retiree you would get a retirees ID card, allowing you access to base activities.

pr

If you were MEB'd out of service you are considered retired. Your Exchange benefit is a result of the Military, The VA is a different issue.

If you are a 100 percent P and T vet, then you are considered disabled from being in the seervice.

J

I got 30% from the VA after I ets'd in 94. I got a ID card, but it was for a limited time. One year, I think.

There are only three ways to get a Military Id after leaving service.

1.) you must be retired with length of service

2.) you must be medically retired from your branch of service with at least 30% disability

3.) you must be rated 100% schedular or TDIU from the va and it must be a permanent rating.

If you are rated 30% from the va you are not entitled to, nor will the military issue you an ID card, not even on a temporary basis.

If you were MEB'd out of service you are considered retired. Your Exchange benefit is a result of the Military, The VA is a different issue.

If you are a 100 percent P and T vet, then you are considered disabled from being in the seervice.

J

Your statement is a little misleading ....

Being medicallly boarded out of service does not qualify anyone for an ID card. Service Medical boards award disability based on the severity of the medical problem, the rating can be 0 -100% just like the va. Any service member that is awarded 30% or more from their branch of service is considered retired and receives the ID card.

Sometimes the service will assign a member to the temporary disabled retired list and that person will retian his ID card, and receive 50% of his base pay, for no longer than five years. At the end of five years or eairler, the veteran will be placed on the permanent disabled retirement list with a permanent rating of 30% or higher, be discharged with 205 or less, or be call back to active duty.