VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Privileges Due To Disability

Rate this question

tom91

Question

According to the VA website, a vet must be rated 100% in order to obtain an ID card for PX privileges; however, it seems when I was discharged for disabilities in 1991, the army would base it upon 30%+. Does anyone have any further information?

Also, if my claim is approved and found to be an error back to 1991, it would have been a 30% rating at that time. If I'm correct on ID priv @30%+, will they honor that privilege now or deny it since the VA guidelines is 100%. It by all means is not the first priority with this claim but certainly curious.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You know what...after I thought about it, the wife and I got the ID cards (tan) while I was outprocessing from Ft. Bragg, not after I ets'd. I didn't get out on a MEB, either. Why did we get the cards? I probably still have them somewhere...dangit! now I gotta go look for them :angry:

EDIT: just asked the wife and she knows exactly where the cards are, but it's too late to go digging around in the basement. She said we had PX and commissary privileges for a year after I ets'd.

Edited by rentalguy1

• In Memoriam

When I got out, after my regular 4 year enlistment, I was issued a Reserve ID identification card. I went on to the base at Long Beach, Ca., but never went to the comstore or the base store. The Reserve card was for 2 years.

Edited by Stretch

Just to clarify further on my question....

If the VA determines I should have been MEB @30% and therefore, should have received additional privileges at that time (such as ID), do they do anything retro about that? Although my case is still remains outstanding, this may be the case with me. Seems unfair to us all if the government doesn't make it all right when an error occurs that is beyond our control. Yeah they pay backpay but what about the other items?

Forgot to make mention that I located the information on what a soldier receives currently if they are discharged medically. It seems to remain the same as what I recall from 91. The ID card is not something temporary if you get 30%+. I also received an ID temporarily for 2 years since I got out @20%......................

Info is located under ARMYBenefits.com

Just to clarify further on my question....

If the VA determines I should have been MEB @30% and therefore, should have received additional privileges at that time (such as ID), do they do anything retro about that? Although my case is still remains outstanding, this may be the case with me. Seems unfair to us all if the government doesn't make it all right when an error occurs that is beyond our control. Yeah they pay backpay but what about the other items?

To my knowledge The va does not have any authority to change the percentage that the military awarded to you.

• HadIt.com Elder

Teac, I suggest you find the regs related to the VA rating. The military does not use the same criteria.

The VA will and can rate a disability according to its own criteria. If that rating is lower than the MED, Then the Vet may be SOL. The VA does not consider the Military rating. Only what is in the Title 38 part 4..

J