VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi Approval For Ptsd

Rate this question

ltate90

Question

I could use a bit of help. I am 80%sc but paid at 100% Iu. 70 for PTSD, 10 for tenitus, 10 for back. I applied for ssdi in 08, just got to a ALJ and he takes my va records and lies about them in his opinion to deny me. I have my senetor involved but it's not really going anywhere. I lost custody of my kids due to PTSD , lost my license to drive and been jailed a few times. I even attempted suicide by cop when I lived in NY. I can't find a lawyer that will pick up my case either. Oh and I've don track 1-3 for alcohol abuse. I don't know what to do other then smh lol any help would be nice. I even have a CAB

I applied for SSDI for PTSD for my Vietnam Vet Purple Heart WIA  brother in 2014.   It was declined.  The reason being I didn't have any medical documentation for a certain time period past his last employment in 1988.   Had to prove he couldn't work any longer in 1988 because of the PTSD and they wouldn't accept anything but a medical diagnosis for that time period -- didn't matter he had been diagnosed with schizophrenia in 1978 and again in 1983. 

Right.

Make sure the SSA knows of any VA PTSD awards you have.

My husband's was 30% SC PTSD  and SSDI awarded him totally for PTSD based on his VA medical records and nothing else.

Then he sent his SSDI award to the VA  to support his claim for higher rating of the 30%.

The 'secret' was that SSA can read and that VA cant. Not really a secret to us hardcore claimants here.

The VA then did award him 100% P & T for PTSD and used the SSDI award as evidence.

It didn't do him much good By then he was already dead due to VA health care itself.

SSA had initially awarded him for a NSC stroke and never consider his PTSD...I asked for permission from the Corning NY SSA office to read their disability manual. After many fruitless hours I found what I wanted...a regulation that stated they must consider ALL disabilities the claimant listed.

We filed for reconsideration and he received the very favorable PTSD SSDI award.

Over $17,000 additional retro from SSA,within a few months after they got the SSA Reconsideration Request.

The VA, after over 20 years, in 2012 , granted the stroke award "as if SC" under Section 1151, 38 USC, and paid the retro on that.

Regulations whether VA regs or SSA regs, etc etc, are legal weapons that can be used to a claimant's advantage.

But one must be willing to read them, and re -read them many times until they fully comprehend them.

VA wants us all to remain in the dark, and many VSOs want things that way too.

If we are uneducated in VAOLA they can pull all sorts of crap on us.

Hadit's motto is Knowledge is Power.

That says it all.

Edited by Berta

Looking for some advice,

I am 70% for PTSD and 10% strain lumbar. Do I qualify for ssi or ssdi or any other benefits i'm missing. Please enlightened me. Thanks