VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Wrongfully Claiming Debt Against Me. Need Help.

Rate this question

m3jon

Question

I tried searching the forums, but had no luck finding any similar cases as mine. One of the reasons why is because I have no idea what to put in the search bar. I tried several different phrases, but came up with nothing. Anyway..

I wanted to see if anyone has been in a similar situation as I am, and what you did you fix the problem.

The VA initially messed up on the SSN when creating my file. This caused many problems for me such as, couldn't file for GI Bill, VA deleting my disability rating when correcting my SSN, and now they're claiming I own them money (not a small amount) which I don't. I wrote many people, all agreeing that this is a mistake on the VA's part. I even got a letter from the veteran's service center manager that the debt has been cancelled. Yet, I continue to receive threatenig letters that I owe the VA. So far I have contacted the debt management center, state representative, VARO representative, veterans service center manager, and American Legion representative. These people (with the exception of the debt managment center) all agree it's the VARO's fault and claim that they have taken care of the problem. The Debt management center continues to claim I owe them. It has been 4 months since the first letter and I have received two more of the same letters since.

Where can I go from here? Who can I contact to have this problem fixed? Ever since I ETSed, the VA has been shafting me left and right. I want to crawl back into my mommy's womb.

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Take the letter from the VA service center to the debt management center and ask that you be given the forms to appeal this debt. Any debt can be appealed. Have they taken any money out of your checks yet?

I have been to the VARO several times regarding this issue. I have submitted the letter to them. I call the debt management center. They told me they cannot do anything about it. The debt management center hold me, unless the VARO resposible for submitting this debt claim agaist me cancel this debt themselves, they cannot do anything. I have a form for appealing the debt, but this is not something I want to do because appealing the debt is acknowledging the debt but stating that I don't have the means to pay off the debt. They haven't been taking money out of my checks yet.

Perhaps even contact your local media. Put the VARO and the debt center on the spot...make sure you have names of everyone you have spoken with. If not, call one more time just to get a final answer.....and names!! Then call your local media sources.

I was thinking about writing my congressman.. Has anyone done so? Does it take long to get a reply back? How does it work? Will the congressman call the VARO and tell them to take care of things? I'm terrible with names. I forgot all the names of the people I spoke with except for Thomas O. Sanders.