VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What To Expect. Upcoming C&p Exam For Ptsd

Rate this question

cvsp

Question

Hi all,

I spent today trying to search as to what to expect for my upcoming C&P exam for PTSD. Actually a bit nervous about it. I knot in my stomach even. Previously I thought I had read some notes on what to expect, but alas I cannot find them now.

Anyone have any insight as to what to expect?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

most ptsd c&p's take about a couple of hours. it really depends on the doc. be sure to try to focus on how your ptsd symptoms are negatively affecting your day-to-day life. like others will say, don't dress up. dress like you normally do. your not there to impress anyone. be sure to answer all questions and try not to say "i don't know" as that leaves an opening for interpretation by the examiner and then by the VA.

if you can, take someone with you to be in the exam.....if the doc says no, try to insist on it (like a spouse or other family member) as they might be able to fill in some blanks.

relax....you'll be fine.

Purple is absolutely right about taking someone with you. I took my wife for the first part where he went thru what is going on with my wife and family and she came up with many things that I would not have remembered or said. I asked her to leave when he wanted details about what happened in service. The end result was I got 50% effective 7/07 which was related all the way back to Vietnam. I doubt if I would not have got anything if it wasn't for her telling him all the symptoms I have now and what I've had over the years...

Just be honest and make sure you respond based on your worst days... not when things are going OK... and let him know that.

Good Luck

Erich

• HadIt.com Elder

Don't let the C&P doctor lead you back to your childhood or teen years. Your position should be that I was fine before the events that caused my PTSD. You had a normal and happy life before the military, and now as a result of events in the military you have PTSD. Everything about your childhood, school, job, marriage was ok before the military. After the events it turned to shit.

Thanks all for the help. Lots of good ideas. Only wish I had someone to take with me. Alas I do not.

Is there any tests given? I am worried about taking tests.

You will probably be asked to take the MMPI-2. Just state how you feel and don't go overboard with symptoms. I just took it. the results upset me, yes I have PTSD but it also said I was malingering with the symptoms. The test does not take into account for any health issues. Any way you will probably come up with malingering if you have stomach problems or sexual problems. Don't second quess for the right answer to mark just mark how you feel at that time.

I don't know if they do correct but I will find out tomorrow when I go see the shrink.

I think this test is designed to make sure there is something wrong with you mentally, but not necessarily PTSD.

Just be yourself, cry if necessary, don't hold back with your emotions. Just don't get violent.

Good Luck