VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disability Payments After Death

Rate this question

123trp

Question

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

It ends.

The spouse is entitled to the last month of compensation due the veteran

Spouses must file VA form 21-534 to re-open for any accrued benefits on any claims the vet had pending in their lifetime as well as for DIC (Dependency and Indemnity COmpensation for themselves and any children under 18)

They have to continue the pending claim of the veteran for accured benefits-with evidence- as well as prove service connected death for the DIC.Accrued claim is a re-open by th suvivor of a pending SC claim.

Accrued benefits are only payable if the 21-534 was filed within one year after the veteran's death.

I get 1154 a month as DIC -the VA web site has the rates for additional dependent payments.

It ends.

The spouse is entitled to the last month of compensation due the veteran

Spouses must file VA form 21-534 to re-open for any accrued benefits on any claims the vet had pending in their lifetime as well as for DIC (Dependency and Indemnity COmpensation for themselves and any children under 18)

They have to continue the pending claim of the veteran for accured benefits-with evidence- as well as prove service connected death for the DIC.Accrued claim is a re-open by th suvivor of a pending SC claim.

Accrued benefits are only payable if the 21-534 was filed within one year after the veteran's death.

I get 1154 a month as DIC -the VA web site has the rates for additional dependent payments.

Berta, if the veteran is p&t for 10 years and dies, doesn't his spouse receive his disablity check and all the benefits?

Berta, if the veteran is p&t for 10 years and dies, doesn't his spouse receive his disablity check and all the benefits?

No-the spouse upon application via a 21-534 would be eligible in most cases for DIC if the vet was 100% SC P & T for ten continuous years prior to death.

That status would also mostly likely continue the spouse's CHAMPVA and Chapter 35 benefits.I get this as a widow due to my husband's SC 100% P & T status

at time of his death (a posthumous award).

DIC is a different benefit. The deceased vet's disability check is gone when they die.The widow or widower is eligible for their last comp check-but must make claim to DIC in their own right and in their own name.(21-534 form)The DIC rate is about half of what the 100% comp rate is, with a little more added for dependents.

These are answers in General-there is a lot more to DIC-we are planning on doing a SVR radio show devoted entirely to DIC.

DIC is not reduced by any other income.

Berta, not to sound dumb, what is the difference between dic and t&P. I am service connected t&p, i will have the rating including two years of tdiu at the end of this june. Will my wife receive my full check or just a portion and will she receive champva. Sorry to bother you, just want to make sure she is taken care of , she is incapacitated with strokes. Thanks.

Berta, not to sound dumb, what is the difference between dic and t&P. I am service connected t&p, i will have the rating including two years of tdiu at the end of this june. Will my wife receive my full check or just a portion and will she receive champva. Sorry to bother you, just want to make sure she is taken care of , she is incapacitated with strokes. Thanks.

You can file for A&A compensation for your wife. Send in the medical information that she is incapacitated. You can use a VA form 21-4138 or just sent them a letter.