VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disability Payments After Death

Rate this question

123trp

Question

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks, Berta, you saved me posting that info! Just so folks don't get confused, DIC and wartime death pension are two different benefits. Currently DIC pays a minimum of $1154 and if the vet was receiving or was qualified for 100% in the 8yrs prior to their death and the spouse was married to them that immediate 8yrs prior, there is an additional $246. I believe the rates are different, depending on paygrade attained in service. Also, if surviving spouse

is eligible for A&A, there's an additional $286 and if eligible for housebound an additional $135.

pr

A widow doesnt receive any of the vet's compensation at all.

If the widow is eligible she receives DIC.

DIC is not income based.

The widow's wartime death pension however is reduced dollar for dollar by income.

Philip: The rates for DIC are dependent upon the grade of the disabled Service Member only if the Service Member had passed away prior to Jan 1, 1993; for deaths on or after 1 Jan 1993 the DIC rates are just as you cited.

Thanks- you are right- there is- as I mentioned here before-a lot to the DIC regs.

Service reps dont usually even keep up with the regs as they change.

DIC rates are different too depending on grade as you said- as to Warrant Officer and Officer Pay grades.

Officer grade DIC spouses can also get 271 ( probably higher with the 2008 COLA for A and A as well as additional 128 for HB ( VBM NVLSP 2008 Edition page 568)

Additional dependency for children is a staged amount.With additional for any child declared "helpess" undr VA's specific Helpless child definition.

Lots to DIC.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks, knifestuff, I'd forgotten about that!

pr

Philip: The rates for DIC are dependent upon the grade of the disabled Service Member only if the Service Member had passed away prior to Jan 1, 1993; for deaths on or after 1 Jan 1993 the DIC rates are just as you cited.
Edited by Philip Rogers

Berta and Phillip,

You are speaking of a person who retired in the military, right? Please give me what a widow,of a person who dies, is 100% p&t disabled for 10 years, did not retire from the military, would receive at his death? Thanks for any info that will set me straight on this. I like until the end of June having 10years.

She will receive $ 1154 per month as DIC benefit with a little extra added for any children under 18- all at the VA Rate schedule-VA web site.

If she is 60 or older she would be eligible for widow's SSA survivor's death benefit as well.