VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disability Payments After Death

Rate this question

123trp

Question

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks Berta, she is 69, incapacitated with a stroke. That is why I am so worried and so interested. Gotta take care of her. She took great care of me for years. I was told not to try and get aa because it opens my case up which is dangerous.

Or if she is younger than 60 but is deemed to be totally disabled she could draw off of her deceased husband SS. Also another situation would be if she has children 16 yr and younger she could receive for her to take care of the child/children and also receive SS for the children too.( SS pays till kids are 19 now)

She will receive $ 1154 per month as DIC benefit with a little extra added for any children under 18- all at the VA Rate schedule-VA web site.

If she is 60 or older she would be eligible for widow's SSA survivor's death benefit as well.

Edited by halos2

"SS pays till kids are 19 now"

You mean they overruled the Omnibus Reconciliation ACT?????

Can you give us a link Halos? This is quite new info to me!

A survivor with children who lost SSA for their when they were between 16 and 18 under the Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 1982 I believe- whose spouse dies of direct service connected death is eligible for the REPS program-

my vet rep never heard of it- I hope others do- The REPS entitlement application is part of every 21-534 spplication and REPS (a program from SSA in conjunstion with VA) restroes the 2 year SSA to the parent that the Omnibus Act did away with.

I am writing regarding SS survivor benefits booklet SSA Publication No. 05-10084 which the SSA sent to me in Nov 08...page 4 " Your unmarried children who are under age 18(or up to age 19 if they are attending elementary school or secondary school full time) can also receive benefits."

Your children can get benefits at any age if they were disabled before age 22 and remain disabled. Under certain circumstances, benefits also can be paid to your stepchildren,grandchildren, or adopted children"...These are some of those who are listed who can get survivor benefits based on the persons work. Your parents too could receive benefits if they are 62 or older and you provided at least half of their support.

When a relative dies...page 7 Regarding the 16 yr old (which I made referrence to) a widow or widower any age with a child under age 16 receives 75% of the workers income...

I wrote of social security info only. You talking about Clinton's Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 1993?? The web is also listed as www.ssa.gov/pubs/10084.html dated jan 2009.

"SS pays till kids are 19 now"

You mean they overruled the Omnibus Reconciliation ACT?????

Can you give us a link Halos? This is quite new info to me!

A survivor with children who lost SSA for their when they were between 16 and 18 under the Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 1982 I believe- whose spouse dies of direct service connected death is eligible for the REPS program-

my vet rep never heard of it- I hope others do- The REPS entitlement application is part of every 21-534 spplication and REPS (a program from SSA in conjunstion with VA) restroes the 2 year SSA to the parent that the Omnibus Act did away with.

Edited by halos2

Thanks Halos- No President Reagan passed the Omnibus Act I refer to-

you said the key word "disabled" child and you are correct-

parents who receive SSA for none disabled chldren under SSA survivor benefits lose their monthly check for the child when the child attains age 16.

The SSA check for the child still comes to the parent but not the actual SSA benefit for spouse of deceased worker with child.

This lose of SSA is what the REPS program fulfills.

NVLSP makes a strong point in the VBM 2008 edition.

MANY spouses of deceased vets who died of SC causing or contributing to death-

and who had children (bio,adopted or step)under 18 at time of veteran's death can be eligible for the REPS benefit.

Even though my DIC app is 14 years old, I filled out the REPS then and with a proper decision of my pending claim- I will receive the REPS- 2 years of what SSA took away with the Reagan ORA as parent's benefit for child of deceased veteran.

Thanks-I must have missed that you meant "disabled" child.I would think if the child's disability continues beyond age 19 they could still receive SSA.

At least I hope any 100% disabled child would as they become adult.

See where I got my info? The SS booklet. I could not believe all of the additions made to the 1972 ed Omnibus Recon. Act over all these yrs, found issues with it in 2004 too. I was familiar with Clinton's as he screwed with the Medicare system reembursment system.

Not familiar with REPS system. Am greatful that you share your wealth of knowledge with all of us. What is REPS? Where is it found in the VBM, as I do have one.

Thanks Halos- No President Reagan passed the Omnibus Act I refer to-

you said the key word "disabled" child and you are correct-

parents who receive SSA for none disabled chldren under SSA survivor benefits lose their monthly check for the child when the child attains age 16.

The SSA check for the child still comes to the parent but not the actual SSA benefit for spouse of deceased worker with child.

This lose of SSA is what the REPS program fulfills.

NVLSP makes a strong point in the VBM 2008 edition.

MANY spouses of deceased vets who died of SC causing or contributing to death-

and who had children (bio,adopted or step)under 18 at time of veteran's death can be eligible for the REPS benefit.

Even though my DIC app is 14 years old, I filled out the REPS then and with a proper decision of my pending claim- I will receive the REPS- 2 years of what SSA took away with the Reagan ORA as parent's benefit for child of deceased veteran.

Thanks-I must have missed that you meant "disabled" child.I would think if the child's disability continues beyond age 19 they could still receive SSA.

At least I hope any 100% disabled child would as they become adult.