VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Waiting For Dic

jswells

Question

My husband a Viet Nam Vet had been receiving 100% disability rating for about five years for diabetes and renal failure and stroke x2. He was getting dialysis at the V.A. He passed away in Jan. this year...How long must I wait to receive DIC? all the paperwork has been sent to regional office, a veterans representative helped me with this...I have this fear that it will take me as long to get approved for this as it took him which was years!

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

My husband a Viet Nam Vet had been receiving 100% disability rating for about five years for diabetes and renal failure and stroke x2. He was getting dialysis at the V.A. He passed away in Jan. this year...How long must I wait to receive DIC? all the paperwork has been sent to regional office, a veterans representative helped me with this...I have this fear that it will take me as long to get approved for this as it took him which was years!

I hope not-it took me over 3 years to get DIC. It took them over 6 years to award my husband 100% P & T and the award was posthumous- came 3 years after he died.

Have you received a VCAA letter yet?

if not perhaps VA has all the info they need-hard to tell-

Has the VA formally acknowledged ecipt of your 21-534 form?

Did the death certificate (and autopsy if done) clearly state diabetes copntributing?

Often DMII isnt put on DCs because diabetes doesnt directly cause death -it causes the conditions that can cause death.

If the DC states renal failure without connecting this to his diabetes-the VA most likely will want mor proof of his diabetes causing the renal failure.

Even the CVAs -did the Coroner put that as contributing to death on the death certificate?

I get DIC but found years later that Rod had DMII which caused him to have heart disease and CVAs.He was AO Nam vet.

I know there is probably no other etiology VA could possibly find for your husband's demise othen than the SC DMII.

I am familiar with diabetic cardiomyopathy and cerebral manifestations of DMII.

The VA however will fight this claim unless the evidence -the DC and any autopsy results is clear enough for them to connect the dots.

I am sure that ypur rep is fully aware of how these claims have to be worded.

You should not have any problems at all- but then again-after 20 years as a widow dealing with the VA- myself-they try to get out of paying whatever they can in DIC claims.

Did you receive his last compensation check for the month he died in?

Edited by Berta

I am trying to get this system to work with hadit, but keep getting block any suggestions

I hope not-it took me over 3 years to get DIC. It took them over 6 years to award my husband 100% P & T and the award was posthumous- came 3 years after he died.

Have you received a VCAA letter yet?

if not perhaps VA has all the info they need-hard to tell-

Has the VA formally acknowledged ecipt of your 21-534 form?

Did the death certificate (and autopsy if done) clearly state diabetes copntributing?

Often DMII isnt put on DCs because diabetes doesnt directly cause death -it causes the conditions that can cause death.

If the DC states renal failure without connecting this to his diabetes-the VA most likely will want mor proof of his diabetes causing the renal failure.

Even the CVAs -did the Coroner put that as contributing to death on the death certificate?

I get DIC but found years later that Rod had DMII which caused him to have heart disease and CVAs.He was AO Nam vet.

I know there is probably no other etiology VA could possibly find for your husband's demise othen than the SC DMII.

I am familiar with diabetic cardiomyopathy and cerebral manifestations of DMII.

The VA however will fight this claim unless the evidence -the DC and any autopsy results is clear enough for them to connect the dots.

I am sure that ypur rep is fully aware of how these claims have to be worded.

You should not have any problems at all- but then again-after 20 years as a widow dealing with the VA- myself-they try to get out of paying whatever they can in DIC claims.

Did you receive his last compensation check for the month he died in?

• HadIt.com Elder

Dogman

Welcome to Hadit.

When you first sign up a Moderator has to approve your first post. Its something that had to be done to keep spammers out.

Don't worry soon all systems will be go.

I must say, I would have had trouble getting the VA to approve my DIC claim, if I had not been able to convince the emergency room doctor to list a service connected condition as "contributory". I think I could have linked his "cardiorespiratory arrest" to his service connected Wilson's Disease, but it would have taken a lot of work. And he was only rated 70% at the time, the 100% plus SMC (l, l, s) was just decided last month (he died in January). And the hospital wouldn't agree to an autopsy, and the organ bank wasn't interested in his organs, due to his illness.

My husband would have been ecstatic at the final decision, if only he'd been able to hold on a few more months.

It's terrible, isn't it? On top of all the emotional distress, we have to suffer financially, too. I don't know about everyone else, but I couldn't work full time, or even regular hours, as he required a great deal of care, and on call assistance, not to mention all the medical appointments.

Good luck to all,

Terri

(sobbing again)