• Topics

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    freemont

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • I would like to thank everyone on the PTSD and TDIU forums for helping me reach my 100% rating.  My story began in 1975 when I was in AIT.  I was the only female in my unit and my DI thought he could take advantage of that fact.  I was sexually assaulted and tortured by this man for 8 weeks.  I told no-one.  The reason for mentioning these facts is to let other veterans suffering from MST know that there is hope no matter how many years have passed.  I received my 100% award 41 years and 15 days after my assault began.  I suffered with nightmares and flashbacks for all of those years.  I worked and provided a decent living for myself until March of this year when I was finally forced to take a medical retirement.  I am 63 and just had 2 more years to make it to retirement.  In 2014 I joined a PTSD Support Group.  For the first time I was able to tell my story.  My peers encouraged me to file a claim and I finally did.  My symptoms became much worse the more I opened up and I ended up losing my job.  The reality is I would have lost my life if I had not have met these amazing women.  My life is finally turning around and I am learning to control my anger and feel as though I deserve to live.  I never believed that anyone would believe my story after all of those years.  The person that investigated my claim uncovered some conversatIons that I had  with a Chaplin.  He had noted in my file that he thought I had been sexually assaulted even  though I never said those words.  I was amazed at how thorough this investigation was.  Please forgive my rambling, I just want others to know that there are claims personnel that really work hard to give us the benefits we deserve.  I spent hours reading the Had It forums to keep my self encouraged during the waiting time.  Thank you all so much for the support!
    • Can anyone give me a timeline on when I might receive any information in the mail? How long before back-pay?
    • I will have been on a CPAP come a year Dec. 1st.  As I understand I have to turn my CPAP into my local VAMC, which I assume is to show the actual usage in order to get prescribed for another year of usage. My question is what is VA looking for inside the CPAP besides obviously the conisitent usage, and what actual data is there for them to see and evaluate?  I read somewhere that they can see if your apneas have increased or decreased......is this true?  Has anyone ever actually gone from moderate or severe OSA to no apneas ? If this is true..........I do not understand how it can go lower in apneas when other conditions are still involved like allergies, sinus, deviated septum, etc.?  Just curious what is involved and what is the data is extracted from CPAP.  I do have a claim in for SA as a NOD.  Thanks for any help on this subject.
    • Some DRO's can't read either   I think the veterans claims should be decided at this level and if they were Most claims would be Awarded. It maybe just me but when a veteran has everything it takes to win a claim all the correct evidence & records all in the veteran favor and the rater don't read all of it and then the vet is denied,  Then vet files NOD  for a DRO Hearing (usually) they are other means to how the veteran wants his claim to be decided. Some times DRO Hearings are no good...it maybe just me but I truly think if the DRO don't like the veteran or just don't like his/her looks   they have a denial in mind, because when a veteran proves his case to a DRO and has everything needed for the DRO to make the Right Decision   they don't do that  instead they tell the veteran: ''ok well everything looks good  I will take this back to my desk and I'will read the evidence more and this may take a while so I'll let you know by letter in 60 days or less''  ect,,ect,,  to me that DRO knew he would deny that veteran...then the Appeals process begins a timely process, BVA Journey starts I -9 filed SOC read ect ect,,,  and the wait for a decision that should have already been made....This cost the VA more $$ b/c one day the veteran will win his/her claim  and get a lot of retro paid but what does the veteran do in the mean time....sometimes its to late (vet dies)  but the agony and worry's with the VA is carried on by this veteran family  and this should never happen but it happens everyday at the V A jmo ..........Buck
    • In July of '15, I appealed a denial of service connection for a R shoulder condition. I submitted actual copies of a shoulder injury from my Navy medical record, along with evidence of surgeries in 200 and 2015 done by non-VA doctors. At the same time, I filed for an increase in my cervical spine condition. Of course, nothing has happened yet, but it appears that the VA has lumped the two together as one "appeal." I submitted the paperwork under the direction of my NSO. I'm sure this question has been addressed here periodically, but I'd like a fresh opinion:
       As time goes by, I continue to be treated, tested, injected, etc. for both of these conditions; they are getting worse and worse and the NSO is encouraging me to go for and IU claim, but I still want to try to work. Also recently lost my wife to cancer so i'm the only income anymore. I've been told that submitting additional evidence causes your claim or appeal to go back to the beginning of the process. Is this true? Also, does the VA, when they do get around to looking at my appeal, automatically go through my record and look for information pertaining to my claim? I began using the VA system exclusively last fall, so the new information should be readily at hand. Do I have to go through and pick it out and submit it to them as supporting documentation, or will they find it on their own? If I need to submit, then it goes back to my question above; am I just moving my appeal father away from being considered? Aside from that, I recently got a favorable 10% for tinnitus. I was already at 90% and the new award doesn't push me to 100, but i guess it always helps to document it. Considering a subscription - these ads are a killer and make using the site a lot more confusing to me. Thanks for all the work you do, all of you! Jim

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jswells

Waiting For Dic

5 posts in this topic

My husband a Viet Nam Vet had been receiving 100% disability rating for about five years for diabetes and renal failure and stroke x2. He was getting dialysis at the V.A. He passed away in Jan. this year...How long must I wait to receive DIC? all the paperwork has been sent to regional office, a veterans representative helped me with this...I have this fear that it will take me as long to get approved for this as it took him which was years!

My husband a Viet Nam Vet had been receiving 100% disability rating for about five years for diabetes and renal failure and stroke x2. He was getting dialysis at the V.A. He passed away in Jan. this year...How long must I wait to receive DIC? all the paperwork has been sent to regional office, a veterans representative helped me with this...I have this fear that it will take me as long to get approved for this as it took him which was years!

I hope not-it took me over 3 years to get DIC. It took them over 6 years to award my husband 100% P & T and the award was posthumous- came 3 years after he died.

Have you received a VCAA letter yet?

if not perhaps VA has all the info they need-hard to tell-

Has the VA formally acknowledged ecipt of your 21-534 form?

Did the death certificate (and autopsy if done) clearly state diabetes copntributing?

Often DMII isnt put on DCs because diabetes doesnt directly cause death -it causes the conditions that can cause death.

If the DC states renal failure without connecting this to his diabetes-the VA most likely will want mor proof of his diabetes causing the renal failure.

Even the CVAs -did the Coroner put that as contributing to death on the death certificate?

I get DIC but found years later that Rod had DMII which caused him to have heart disease and CVAs.He was AO Nam vet.

I know there is probably no other etiology VA could possibly find for your husband's demise othen than the SC DMII.

I am familiar with diabetic cardiomyopathy and cerebral manifestations of DMII.

The VA however will fight this claim unless the evidence -the DC and any autopsy results is clear enough for them to connect the dots.

I am sure that ypur rep is fully aware of how these claims have to be worded.

You should not have any problems at all- but then again-after 20 years as a widow dealing with the VA- myself-they try to get out of paying whatever they can in DIC claims.

Did you receive his last compensation check for the month he died in?

Edited by Berta

I am trying to get this system to work with hadit, but keep getting block any suggestions

I hope not-it took me over 3 years to get DIC. It took them over 6 years to award my husband 100% P & T and the award was posthumous- came 3 years after he died.

Have you received a VCAA letter yet?

if not perhaps VA has all the info they need-hard to tell-

Has the VA formally acknowledged ecipt of your 21-534 form?

Did the death certificate (and autopsy if done) clearly state diabetes copntributing?

Often DMII isnt put on DCs because diabetes doesnt directly cause death -it causes the conditions that can cause death.

If the DC states renal failure without connecting this to his diabetes-the VA most likely will want mor proof of his diabetes causing the renal failure.

Even the CVAs -did the Coroner put that as contributing to death on the death certificate?

I get DIC but found years later that Rod had DMII which caused him to have heart disease and CVAs.He was AO Nam vet.

I know there is probably no other etiology VA could possibly find for your husband's demise othen than the SC DMII.

I am familiar with diabetic cardiomyopathy and cerebral manifestations of DMII.

The VA however will fight this claim unless the evidence -the DC and any autopsy results is clear enough for them to connect the dots.

I am sure that ypur rep is fully aware of how these claims have to be worded.

You should not have any problems at all- but then again-after 20 years as a widow dealing with the VA- myself-they try to get out of paying whatever they can in DIC claims.

Did you receive his last compensation check for the month he died in?

Dogman

Welcome to Hadit.

When you first sign up a Moderator has to approve your first post. Its something that had to be done to keep spammers out.

Don't worry soon all systems will be go.

I must say, I would have had trouble getting the VA to approve my DIC claim, if I had not been able to convince the emergency room doctor to list a service connected condition as "contributory". I think I could have linked his "cardiorespiratory arrest" to his service connected Wilson's Disease, but it would have taken a lot of work. And he was only rated 70% at the time, the 100% plus SMC (l, l, s) was just decided last month (he died in January). And the hospital wouldn't agree to an autopsy, and the organ bank wasn't interested in his organs, due to his illness.

My husband would have been ecstatic at the final decision, if only he'd been able to hold on a few more months.

It's terrible, isn't it? On top of all the emotional distress, we have to suffer financially, too. I don't know about everyone else, but I couldn't work full time, or even regular hours, as he required a great deal of care, and on call assistance, not to mention all the medical appointments.

Good luck to all,

Terri

(sobbing again)