VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

To All S/c Veterans And Those Working On It...

Rate this question

Meddac

Question

This is NOT intended to start a big squabble match nor to solicit defaming comments. Several of you know that I am here and who I work for. I only intend to help in the most sincere way. Some of you that I have contact with away from here can attest to that fact.

To all veterans: One of the quickest ways to get reduced is to lie about your conditions. You could get worse.

I had the chance encounter in the past 3 weeks to come across an increase claim for a veteran. After my usual work on the claim I did an administrative decision. That decision required my signature and 2 others. All three signatures came back to me today. As of 1:30 PM this afternoon when I left work, the claim, admin decision, and this veterans future are in dire straits. I proposed to sever all current benefits. Yes, the veteran is S/C for some things....or was S/C, and it was granted by an RO that I do not feel is up to the task of serving veterans. I would put them in your "Dirty Dozen", but I am not giving names. I had to hand carry the file to my rater to do the rating proposal. The rater was nearly done when I left for the day. My day was pretty much dead at that point. I don't feel good about what I had to do, but it was blatant and I caught it immediately.

My rater has had to do a CUE. It was CLEAR, it was UNMISTAKABLE, and it was an ERROR. I do not feel for this veteran at all, but I am also not proud of my task. I wish it had been someone elses digit, and not mine. It will cost the vet money, cause a large overpayment, and on Monday it will cost them their free medical care.

The story is very long, and I won't post it on here. It's on my chest, and I eventually have to vent it out....somehow. I just wanted you guys/gals to know that benefits can be reduced (which you already know), and that they can be taken away completely. We have a saying in our office that never really meant anything until today: "The wheels of the government move very, very slowly...but they move."

The veterean was S/C for about 3 years, and I feel like sh!t.

Sorry "c2"

Edited by Meddac

• Answers 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Please elaborate a little bit. I know this stuff happens (and too frequently at that), but how are you 100% positive that the guy is lying about his conditions? I am sorry that you had to go through the motions with someone of this caliber, and I believe what you are saying, but I do think it would be nice for all to know a little about this.

Please elaborate a little bit. I know this stuff happens (and too frequently at that), but how are you 100% positive that the guy is lying about his conditions? I am sorry that you had to go through the motions with someone of this caliber, and I believe what you are saying, but I do think it would be nice for all to know a little about this.

Personnel file, police reports, non-judicial punishment, resignation of commission in leu of court martial, admin separation for cause, and repeated incidents of the facts surrounding the case. I should never have had to do it, and it pisses me off to no end.

I really can't be too detailed on here... Please understand.

I also never said it was a "guy".

Edited by Meddac

I know you didn't want to start an argument but........wow. All of the things you mentioned for taking away this vets benefits are administrative issues...nothing medical. And some are not even any of the VA's business! (like police reports?)

So are we all being followed??

Continually watched??

Can benefits be taken away for "administrative" issues?

• HadIt.com Elder

Meddac...I understand completely now. Thanks for sharing what little you are able. That is sad that the original VARO didn't catch this.

Purple, I believe Meddac is saying that this vet's sc'd conditions fall under either the misconduct etiology regs, or the vet has a less than honorable discharge. In either case, the original VARO should not have granted sc.

Meddac,

You posted,

Several of you know that I am here and who I work for. I only intend to help in the most sincere way.

I feel you are an exception to the rule as far as my experience with VBA employees go.

I feel you work hard and are dedicated to providing benefits as the claimants meet

whatever requirements.

I feel you give 100% and then some, you go above and beyond.

To all veterans: One of the quickest ways to get reduced is to lie about your conditions.

There are several ways for VA to reduce benefits and I agree 100% with this statement.

I had the chance encounter in the past 3 weeks to come across an increase claim for a veteran.

Did the claim for an increase concern an existing service connected disability

or was it for a different disability to be added to what was current ?

After my usual work on the claim I did an administrative decision. That decision required my signature and 2 others. All three signatures came back to me today. As of 1:30 PM this afternoon when I left work, the claim, admin decision, and this veterans future are in dire straits.

Can you tell us a little more about administrative decisions - to my knowledge we have never

had much mention or discussion regarding administrative decisions.

Such as what type of decisions are considered administrative decisions and how they

come about. Are they something internal within VBA, is it something a claimant can request,

what circumstances or situations are necessary, who makes administrative decisions, etc...

I proposed to sever all current benefits. Yes, the veteran is S/C for some things....or was S/C, and it was granted by an RO that I do not feel is up to the task of serving veterans. I would put them in your "Dirty Dozen", but I am not giving names.

I do realize sometimes VA does grant when the evidence of record truly supports a denial.

I am not much of a believer in statistics, but are you aware if there are stats on this,

besides some yearly reports and audits ?

I had to hand carry the file to my rater to do the rating proposal. The rater was nearly done when I left for the day. My day was pretty much dead at that point. I don't feel good about what I had to do, but it was blatant and I caught it immediately.

If it was something fraudlent - I am glad you caught it.

It is hard when you have to carry out rules that you know for sure will be detrimental

to someone's life, but this is also part of your job and responsibility.

My rater has had to do a CUE. It was CLEAR, it was UNMISTAKABLE, and it was an ERROR.

May I ask what the Clear and Unmistakable Error was.

If you do not feel comfortable answering, I understand and

will not pressure you nor be offended.

I do not feel for this veteran at all, but I am also not proud of my task.

Never feel bad or guilty for fulfilling your responsibilities.

I wish it had been someone elses digit, and not mine. It will cost the vet money, cause a large overpayment, and on Monday it will cost them their free medical care.

Can this overpayment somehow be back billed or the end product code of the

RO that originally granted it the claim - be changed or charged.

Is it possible that an employee at the RO that granted the claim - is in ca-hoots

with the claimant ?

The story is very long, and I won't post it on here. It's on my chest, and I eventually have to vent it out....somehow. I just wanted you guys/gals to know that benefits can be reduced (which you already know), and that they can be taken away completely. We have a saying in our office that never really meant anything until today: "The wheels of the government move very, very slowly...but they move."

The veterean was S/C for about 3 years, and I feel like sh!t.

If this claim was granted with fraudulent evidence, I am glad that it only took 3 years to catch.

You have no reason to feel bad but i do understand your feeling,

mark it up as one against a bad apple.

Personnel file, police reports, non-judicial punishment, resignation of commission in leu of court martial, admin separation for cause, and repeated incidents of the facts surrounding the case. I should never have had to do it, and it pisses me off to no end.

Geez, are you sure the claimant was even a veteran, it reads like must be a ton of fraud.

I really can't be too detailed on here... Please understand.

Please let us know what you can as you feel comfortable.

I do realize it is probably in your best interest, not to reveal enough information

that would pin-point you, your RO or the offending RO.

I also never said it was a "guy".

Doesn't matter if it was male or female.

carlie

I will, after much thought on the matter and it's importance in principle attempt to "redact" (censor) as much as I can. I will type this whole affair out as best as I can without confirming identities, locations, etc. It will take me a bit, but I will do it. That may even give me some relief in the matter.

I have to work tomorrow, but I will post what I can on here by Sunday afternoon. I will answer most, if not all, of the questions preceding this post.