VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ankle Rating

Rate this question

bufloguy

Question

Quick question,

How is the Ankle rated? I can't find where it is rated in 38 CFR. Here are the results of a recent MRI of my ankle:

1. Findings present consistent with a stenosing tenosynovitis in region peroneal ligaments cephalad to tip of lateral malleolus.

2. Findings present consistent with degenerative changes/possible tendinitis involving segments of peroneal tendons distal to tip of lateral malleolus.

3. Normal anterior talofibular ligament not identified. This may be reflective of a chronic disruption.

The podiatrist says the talofibular ligament was ruptured, and I will need to have it rebuilt. I will be filing a claim, but I don't know how it's rated. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Quick question,

How is the Ankle rated? I can't find where it is rated in 38 CFR. Here are the results of a recent MRI of my ankle:

1. Findings present consistent with a stenosing tenosynovitis in region peroneal ligaments cephalad to tip of lateral malleolus.

2. Findings present consistent with degenerative changes/possible tendinitis involving segments of peroneal tendons distal to tip of lateral malleolus.

3. Normal anterior talofibular ligament not identified. This may be reflective of a chronic disruption.

The podiatrist says the talofibular ligament was ruptured, and I will need to have it rebuilt. I will be filing a claim, but I don't know how it's rated. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

38 CFR 4.71a

Thanks Sharon! I found the section, but have no idea what dx the injury would fall under. Basicaly it's a grade 3 sprain (total rupture) have to wear ankle braces or my ankle will fold under. Any Ideas?

Any idea which code it would be rated under?

5270 Ankle, ankylosis of:

In plantar flexion at more than 40°, or in

dorsiflexion at more than 10° or with abduction,

adduction, inversion or eversion deformity 40

In plantar flexion, between 30° and 40°, or in

dorsiflexion, between 0° and 10° ..................... 30

In plantar flexion, less than 30° ........................... 20

5271 Ankle, limited motion of:

Marked .................................................................. 20

Moderate .............................................................. 10

5272 Subastragalar or tarsal joint, ankylosis of:

In poor weight-bearing position ............................ 20

In good weight-bearing position ........................... 10

5273 Os calcis or astragalus, malunion of:

Marked deformity .................................................. 20

Moderate deformity .............................................. 10

5274 Astragalectomy ................................................ 20

• HadIt.com Elder

You are going to have to have a C&P performed.......to determine the ROM remaining, or the pain involved with motion of the joints in your ankle, or to determine whether you have any degree of what I call "drop foot".

If you haven't had a C&P yet, on the ankle, then you probably won't get one until sometime after you file the claim.

Having said all that, 20% is what I have found that they like to hand out in the case of ankle problems.

If you have to wear orthosis to keep your ankle from, as you say "folding under" (drop foot), then you need to get the diagnosis that they used to issue you the orthosis (provided the brace is a VA-issued item) and file your claim including a copy of your VA med recs stating the need for the brace. Should be a no-brainer, which is sometimes the very thing that it takes for them to act upon, a no-brainer, seems they can handle those.