VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How To Complete Form Iu 21-8940

Rate this question

Anthony

Question

I accidently posted my question in the wrong forum so I am reposting it in this one.:lol: B)

I am rated at 70% and was sent VA form 21-8940 for Indiviual Unemployability to complete for verification of income and VA form "Employment Questionnaire".

I am self employed and don't know what amount should be put in box #16 item F on the Individual Unemployability form? Is it my gross monthly income for my business before expenses? or what I put in my pocket after expenses? On the Employment Questionnaire what would go in box 4F?

I was told by a VA employee at the regional office in Lansing MI that the dollar amount the VA looks at is my net income after expenses. I was told to also send my schedule c from 2004 - it shows a net income of $3,882.00. My total business income before expenses was $15,100.00.

Do they caluculate in my VA benefit and Navy CRDP as income? I am confused. My vet rep said he thought it was gross income overall.

Any help would be appreciated from anyone who knows how to fill out this form. My wife and I think we did not complete it correctly and we are receiving conflicting information from the VFW rep and the VA office.

Thanks for having this resource available.

Anthony

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Anthony, Your net income is your taxable income on your income tax. That is the income, had you received it in wages, would be your grose earnings. that would be somewhere between your businesses gross earnings and your net income before personal deductions such as wife, dependents, medical expenses, etc.. On a W-2 or the 1040 statement would be the first number intered. This I must assume is your net income after business deductions and before personal deductions.

I can not help you with the other, but I can tell you that the VA does count my check from my SSDI, when considering if I need to pay a co-pay, but I do not know if it counts as income in this instance. I must assume not, since if you receive SSDI and VA, it most certainly put you over the poverty level for which a substantial earning amount is based on.

I don't know what the other check is for or from whom.

Jim S. B)

p.s. hope I haven't confused you more. LoL :lol:

• HadIt.com Elder

it wants to know what your earned income is not passive, TDIU is not a needs based, nor is it means tested, put down your after expenses income the 3882. amount they know what they are giving you VA and Navy is not earned income so it does not belong on the form.

Thanks for the response.

I now know I completed the form incorrectly thanks to the responses I have received.

I did put my gross income not net income after business deductions etc. on my 8940 which I filed in August 2005. Denial came back January 2006. I included my Schedule C which clearly showed the net income but whomever did my file did not get a red flag or they ignored the red flag - that something did not jive. I guess that does not surprise me.

I have an appointment with a new VFW rep in Marquette MI this coming Thursday to file an appeal. After speaking to him on the phone today he made me feel so much better. He said there is no doubt there is an error and to see him ASAP so he can file the paperwork correctly. The new rep did also say the original VFW rep should have caught my error - the original rep said GROSS income :lol:

I will keep you posted as to the results.

Many thanks for your help.

Anthony

Michigan

CRPD:

http://www.usdr.org/Legislative/Resources/index.asp

Anthony -the question you asked regarding this (CRPD) and your TDIU form- there is an email addy at bottom of this link as well as many sites on the web that might help you----

I would be anxious to see what is what with this too---

I dont think the CRDP is technically 'income' but do you have to pay taxes on that?

There has been a recent discussion on this at the Veterans Benfit Network:

http://p203.ezboard.com/fvetbenefitsfrm5

and Military .com has had running discussions on this issue to:

http://www.military.com/Resources/Resource...4,38349,00.html

It really isn't that your VSO or anyone is at fault on this issue- it has become very misunderstood and complex-

As I understand it- you should be in receipt of both the CRDP and any VA comp-

If any other 'work related' income falls under the poverty level (such as from personal business)

the VA cannot really consider it as "substantial" income from work.

The present poverty level:

http://www.atdn.org/access/poverty.html

Hope this helped you or someone out there and did not add to the confusion-

you have asked some good questions-

Berta

Thanks for the reply and the links to the websites. I have bookmarked them and will check them out. B)

My CRDP is taxable.

I will post what I find out next Thursday after a trip to the VFW rep. He only wants me to provide 2005 net income amount what I put in my pocket, medical expense amount for me and my wife - he said down to the asprin bought across the counter and my DD214.

My business gross was less in 2005 than 2004 so my net is less.....the poverty level guidelines are helpful :lol:

Will let you all know what happens.

Anthony

Michigan :blink: