VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Divorce... And She Wants My Money!

Rate this question

monk

Question

HI! lIKE THE SONG SAID...SHE WANTS MY MONEY..WHEN I'M IN NEED...SHE IS A GOLD DIGGER..A FRIEND INDEED...THAT DIGS ON MEEE ! GOING THRU A DIVORCE AND HER "FRIENDS" SAID SHE WILL HAVE A BIG PIECE OF MY DISABILITY COMPENSATION...AND HALF OF MY RETIREMENT CHECK. I KNOW ABOUT HALF OF MY RETIREMENT BUT.......SHE CAN TOUCH MY DISABILITY TOO?? I EARN THAT AWARD WITH BLOOD, SWEAT AND TEARS. SHE WASN'T THERE WHEN THE BULLETS WERE FLYING ! THAT INFO CAN'T BE RIGHT. IF IS RIGHT...I GUESS ADD MY NAME TO THE LIST OF HOMELESS VETERANS IN THE UNITED STATES. :blink::lol: B)

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have not been in your situation before so really don't know. BUT....... I would say your disability is fairly safe. Your concurrent disability pay may be another thing all together. However, it may be in some states there are laws to take your disability to, but I would doubt it. This is really going to take some legal advise from someone who specializes in representing a military member in divorce proceedings and not the comments from board members.

Best O Luck.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong,

Your VBA Disability Compensation can't be 'given' to 'anyone' without your expressed permission. The Court can't assign any of it to anyone or force you to give it up, only the VBA can do that.

However, if you have 'Direct Deposit' and the Court awards half of the bank account to the spouse, whatever is in the account at that time may be lost.

Anyone else?

sledge

It depends a lot on whether their are children still receiving allotments as dependents. If she devorces you with children and she patitions for custody and wins, then she would have control of the childrens allotment.

If she is working and has independant means and it is a 50/50 state, then all assets at the time of the devorce will be split in half.

If their is a home involved, then she may be eligable to half the apprassed value. or half of the net selling price.

If it is an alimony state, then it may depend on if she intered into the marriage before or after your dissability.

If she is working, does she bring in more than you, if so, it could be shown she is the dominent partner and it is her who shoould pay the allimoney to help you during the period of adjustment.

FORGET EVERYTHING I HAVE SAID AND GET A GOOD DEVORCE LAWYER AND TALK TO YOUR SO IF YOU HAVE ONE.

Jim S. :lol:

p.s. Open a new bank account and reroute your check to it as soon as possible, it could take a mounth or one check before the transfer is complete.

• HadIt.com Elder

Monk sorry to hear about your divorce. All the States have different laws but in most cases a disabled person is well protected. Just don't sign away any of your rights. You should look into getting some legal help. To much is at stake to make a poor decision.

Of all the disabilty payments the VA is probably the best protected.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are receiving CRDP I don't know if that is dividable or not, just the retirement portion is, your VA disability is yours, unless like others say you are drawing for eligible children, get a good lawyer, but they can not calculate your VA compensation to figure out your alimony get a good lawyer now is not the time to be cheap pay now or keep on paying.....