VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Divorce... And She Wants My Money!

Rate this question

monk

Question

HI! lIKE THE SONG SAID...SHE WANTS MY MONEY..WHEN I'M IN NEED...SHE IS A GOLD DIGGER..A FRIEND INDEED...THAT DIGS ON MEEE ! GOING THRU A DIVORCE AND HER "FRIENDS" SAID SHE WILL HAVE A BIG PIECE OF MY DISABILITY COMPENSATION...AND HALF OF MY RETIREMENT CHECK. I KNOW ABOUT HALF OF MY RETIREMENT BUT.......SHE CAN TOUCH MY DISABILITY TOO?? I EARN THAT AWARD WITH BLOOD, SWEAT AND TEARS. SHE WASN'T THERE WHEN THE BULLETS WERE FLYING ! THAT INFO CAN'T BE RIGHT. IF IS RIGHT...I GUESS ADD MY NAME TO THE LIST OF HOMELESS VETERANS IN THE UNITED STATES. :blink::lol: B)

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

There is no doubt that retired pay can be garnished they have been doing that for years and if you have children the VA can apportion your VA for the kids part, but your wife has no right to any portion of your VA disablility check, yes Jere Berry did go to jail and yes he won eventually, state courts can not force a payment from a VA compensation check to en ex spouse. If your lawyer let them count your VA towards your alimony then you had an idiot for an attorney and it would be worth it to find one that knows what he is doing and take it back to court.

• HadIt.com Elder

To anyone who has doubt on VA garnishment needs to go to WWW.jerebeery.com and here you will find the laws that state VA is hands off.

As far as the DASF site goes , it deals with military retirement, not VA compensation.

If anyone lets the courts do this to them it is your fault, the law has been clear on this issue for many years, and unless congress changes it then the courts are wrong. I think we will see a case going to the federal courts soon so only then will we get the state courts to adhere to the rule, then we will see if these Vets that were jailed because of abuse by the state judges get another day in court , this time on the other side against the state.