VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ibs Rating Information

Rate this question

deyjason

Question

Okay, I currently have filed a NOD and waiting for a DRO hearing for my IBS rated at 0%. I do not know what is required and don't have experience and was wondering if anyone could help me out. The rating schedule says:

7319 Irritable colon syndrome (spastic colitis, mucous colitis, etc.):

Severe; diarrhea, or alternating diarrhea and constipation, with more

or less constant abdominal distress..................................................................... 30

Moderate; frequent episodes of bowel disturbance with abdominal

distress........................................................................

........................................ 10

Mild, disturbances of bowel function with occasional episodes of

abdominal distress........................................................................

........................ 0

But what is more or less? What is frequent? What do I have to show. This is very generalized and seems like there is too much room for interpretation..

My condition was already service connected and C & P says I have daily episodes of diahrea with abdominal distress. Which occur 1,2, or more times a day. That atleast sounds frequent to me.....Any advice or experience with this type of claim would be greatly appreciated.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Okay, I currently have filed a NOD and waiting for a DRO hearing for my IBS rated at 0%. I do not know what is required and don't have experience and was wondering if anyone could help me out. The rating schedule says:

7319 Irritable colon syndrome (spastic colitis, mucous colitis, etc.):

or less constant abdominal distress..................................................................... 30

Moderate; frequent episodes of bowel disturbance with abdominal

distress........................................................................

........................................ 10

Mild, disturbances of bowel function with occasional episodes of

abdominal distress........................................................................

........................ 0

But what is more or less? What is frequent? What do I have to show. This is very generalized and seems like there is too much room for interpretation..

My condition was already service connected and C & P says I have daily episodes of diahrea with abdominal distress. Which occur 1,2, or more times a day. That atleast sounds frequent to me.....Any advice or experience with this type of claim would be greatly appreciated.

What I recommend is finding out the symptoms of IBS from the internet then if you get another exam from your NOD over state your symptoms maybe they will get the point.

Good luck,

Bergie

deyjason I have IBS rated at 30%, you need to tell your doc what you stated, about having daily episodes of diarrhea with abdominal distress occur 1,2, or more times a day. That would be

Just make sure your doc states it on the records and you get a cope and send it in with your NOD, at least you got serves connected at 0% does not sound like a lot but that is the hard part some times, it will take time but don't give up. I hope it work out for you, if you have any questions just ask.

Ken

Get a copy of your exam if you haven't already. If it's quoted in there by the examiner that you are having multiple episodes every day with abdominal distress or stomach pain file a NOD, send in the IBS rating schedule, and type up a small letter letting them know that was not the correct rating according to the rating schedule. By what your examiner told you it looks like they lowballed you taking a chance you wouldn't appeal it.

Jay

deyjason I have IBS rated at 30%, you need to tell your doc what you stated, about having daily episodes of diarrhea with abdominal distress occur 1,2, or more times a day. That would be

Just make sure your doc states it on the records and you get a cope and send it in with your NOD, at least you got serves connected at 0% does not sound like a lot but that is the hard part some times, it will take time but don't give up. I hope it work out for you, if you have any questions just ask.

Ken

Is constipation a symtom by itself or does Diareha need to part of the total problem.

I am comstipated most of time, I tract my bowel movements, because if don't move it seems to irritate my prostate, then the uncontrollable uerination. My question is the constapation, sometimes 7 days or more without much movement.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think it can go either way but you probably could help yourself out a lot by taking a stool softener.

sgmdae,

I suggest you see a doctor, chronic constipation can lead to fissures and fistulas which would create a whole new problem for you. I would think the doctor would say start drinking a lot of water and increase fiber in your diet, try stool softeners and try to avoid sodas and alcohol (if apply) and chronic constipation can lead to a bladder disorder so you need to get it checked out.

deyjason,

You state you have frequent diarrhea with abdominal distress 1, 2, or more times a day. You can file a NOD and tell VA that you feel that you should be awarded (?%) because and state your condition, this will cause VA to look at that rating percentage and give a reason to approve or deny the rating. Also if chronic diarrhea cause you to where pads this could be service connected if you can't make it to a rest room.

As I said earlier IBS can cause problems with both the bladder and with stools which can be service connected