VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Exam Wrong?

Rate this question

Phillies44

Question

I am trying to be patient, but I wanted to know what others thought. Two weeks ago I had my PTSD c&p exam, it was only twenty minutes and he only asked me basic questions. He only asked me two about combat and the rest were about my daily living and mental status. He gave me a DX of Generalized Anxiety Disorder and a GAF of 52. He also put in things I did not say and twisted some things I did say around. He also put that I did not meet the criteria for ptsd. I was wondering how could he come to this conclusion, when he barely saw me for my first ptsd exam? It is almost like he had read my charts and already had a DX for me before he saw me. I feel powerless and wanted to know what do now? Just wait or is there something I could do? Thanks

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

You are going to probably need your own doctor opinion to DX PTSD. I think there is no doubt that these VA doctors are tying not to diagnose PTSD. Every PTSD diagnosis is a failure for American Arms. It means the military is discharging soldiers by the thousands with PTSD instead of treating them. I bet the VA is using some strict criteria to diangose PTSD and if you don't hit all the slots you don't get the diagnosis. There have been maybe 40,000 serious physical injuries in the war on terror. If they count all the PTSD injuries that number increases by 150,000. The present and future costs of these wars is astronomical.

Thanks for the replies, I agree from reading the gaf scale 52 is pretty low. I am not working and have not been for awhile, the anxiety and depression just became too heavy, almost out of nowhere. With PTSD, I did not even file for that orginally, I filed for depression. But after I sent in my original claim and wrote a short story for the VARO, I got a letter from the VARO saying they were adding PTSD to my claim and then I had the exam a couple weeks later. I did see combat in 03' so maybe that is why? But when I walked into the psych exam doctors office, I said what is this about? It was my first exam for PTSD and he just said simply,"nerves." I do not know what that was all about? But with my GAD, my VA psych records have been saying GAD and depression for about three years now and for my SMR the only thing I have in there was a record of DX of GAD in 06' when they put me on profile and were trying to medically discharge me for the pysch meds. But I will try to get a IMO for my anxiety and forget about PTSD, since the exam doctor wrote I do not meet the criteria. Thanks again and if you have any more comments that would be great.