VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I'm New

Rate this question

jswells

Question

I am from kentucky and am trying to get widows dic... husband passed away in Jan. due to renal failure, he was on dialysis for 5 years... he was only 60. He was rated 100% ++ for diabetes.. strokes ...PID, seizures and renal failure related to Agent Orange...my naive self thought was a no brainer...I am working with a DAV agent....still waiting to hear something how long is this going to take? I am so afraid of being rejected.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Welcome!

I am so very sorry to hear about your husband. I am a widow too. I personally think there should be widows pay for everyone for one year. So you can take some time to adjust to the loss of someone so special to you before you have to start fighting for your survival!

But it doesn't work that way. Everyone starts swooping in, there are deadlines to meet, and everyone wants everything done yesterday - right at a time you are most vulnerable.

I hear the first year is the hardest. I am not quite sure of that, but it seems to be true.

It does sound like you have a strong basis for DIC.

But sometimes, with the VA, no brainers is an understatement.

Do you have other income, other funds, etc that can tide you over until you know for sure what the VA is doing? Hopefully you have some of your eggs in other baskets.

What does your DAV rep think about your claim?

Free

I am from kentucky and am trying to get widows dic... husband passed away in Jan. due to renal failure, he was on dialysis for 5 years... he was only 60. He was rated 100% ++ for diabetes.. strokes ...PID, seizures and renal failure related to Agent Orange...my naive self thought was a no brainer...I am working with a DAV agent....still waiting to hear something how long is this going to take? I am so afraid of being rejected.
Edited by free_spirit_etc

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit.

The waits happen with the VA. It should not be like that but it is.

I am sorry for your loss. Part of the price Veterans pay is often death long before their time would have been if they did not serve.

From what you said I don;t think that you have to much to worry about. You don't have to rely on your Service Officer you can call 800 827 7000 and ask how long and where your claim is.

You can also use the internet to inquire using IRIS.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi and welcome to Hadit Jswells. I too am sorry to hear about your husband.

As far as the DIC claim, can you tell where it is and what the VA is saying about it?

Another thing, I think I know your DAV rep. I can offer you some sound advice. There are some wonderful folks here and they are willing to help you. A few that have actually been in your exact same situation.

My father passed away from the same conditions as your husband in 03 so I know what you are going thru.

John

Welcome!

I am so very sorry to hear about your husband. I am a widow too. I personally think there should be widows pay for everyone for one year. So you can take some time to adjust to the loss of someone so special to you before you have to start fighting for your survival!

But it doesn't work that way. Everyone starts swooping in, there are deadlines to meet, and everyone wants everything done yesterday - right at a time you are most vulnerable.

I hear the first year is the hardest. I am not quite sure of that, but it seems to be true.

It does sound like you have a strong basis for DIC.

But sometimes, with the VA, no brainers is an understatement.

Do you have other income, other funds, etc that can tide you over until you know for sure what the VA is doing? Hopefully you have some of your eggs in other baskets.

What does your DAV rep think about your claim?

Free

Hi and welcome to Hadit Jswells. I too am sorry to hear about your husband.

As far as the DIC claim, can you tell where it is and what the VA is saying about it?

Another thing, I think I know your DAV rep. I can offer you some sound advice. There are some wonderful folks here and they are willing to help you. A few that have actually been in your exact same situation.

My father passed away from the same conditions as your husband in 03 so I know what you are going thru.

John

Thanks for your reply all I know is that it is at a site to be ??? ranked or reviewed...what has me worried is that on his death certificate cause of death was renal failure not diabetes specifically. My representative is Eileen a very kind and informative person..