VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Stroke

Rate this question

bguerrero

Question

I'm retired from the USMC and also recieving 20% va hypertension/some skin problem. Will, two months ago I had a 2 TIA's which lead up to an acute stroke and since had 5 more TIA's. All in all I've been in and out of the hospital the past 8 weeks. Now thier saying I'm getting complex migraines so bad that my right side becomes weak like a stroke at it last up to 2 -3 hours at a time. Any idea's on the va ratings on this? And advice? I just started to get my medical records in order and will be visiting the San Diegq DAV office this week. I have recovered from the stroke but not 100%. I'm a Letter Carrier for USPS and so for un able to carry mail.

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Sorry to hear about your strokes.

Being Service conected for HTN is the important point here. The strokes were most likely secondary to that.

As far as rating strokes, they will rate the resuduals after the fact. now since you were hosrptalized for 8 weeks then you should ask for temp 100 percent for the time hospitalized.

I believe your claim will progress quickly. You neeed to go ahead and file it if not already done so.

Hang in there and take it easty and keep the BP under control.

J

I think you should apply for SSA disability as well as TDIU.

As Jbasser said- it is highly likely that the SC HBP caused the TIAs and stroke.

Stroke residuals can be totally disabling.

If you cannot work due to this CVA then with medical statement that the SC HBP contributed to or caused the CVA, they should award you TDIU.

You can apply for TDIU on form 21-8940 regardless of what your SC rating is now.

After suffering TIAs and a major CVA my husband (who VA said would be in wheelchair for rest of his life- demanded physical therapy and began to walk fairly normally again-

also he was able to talk again after having paralyzed throat from the CVA.

However his other residuals were so profound that he got inital SSA award (which was changed to SSA for PTSD)

and also the VA rated his stroke residuals incorrectly at 90 % instead of 100.

Your migraines and any memory deficients, visual problems, and any affect to use of your hands and feet for normal propulsion in walking are some of the many residuals a stroke can cause.

It would be good idea to get the Schedule of Raings (here at hadit in separate topic) to assess what residuals they should consider.But it does sound like they should definitely award TDIU to you (the 100% comp rate)

and by all means apply for the temp comp as Jbasser said-

I think my husband's HBP was rated at 10% -long story but I proved that his HBP was undiagnosed and undermedicated and this was what caused his major CVA.

Has VA monitored your HBP medication and changed it at all since the 20% rating?

Thanks for the reply. I've haven't been seen by the VA since my rating, just by the Naval Hospital through tricare prime. The Base is much closer for me, just 4 miles. I have some on and off numbness on my arm through out the day and slur here and there too. I'm on sick leave now, soon to run out. With these on going TIA's it's hard to go to work. The TIA's seem to occur around a week a part. They don't want you at work like that! They think the stroke has cause me to have the complex migraine which to me is worst cause, with that, there's no way I could do my job!

Just had my C&P Exam last week for the stroke, they confirmed that the the stroke is secondary the the HPN! Just have to wait on the rating. I have some memory lost, slur speech,weakness on my right side, pain in my arm. He ask if I recovered at 100% after the stroke and I told him I only recovered 70% and my doctor said thats what Im left with! I still Have one issue left, with the complex migraine. Have to have that tied in with the Stroke. My Neurologist wrote a letter stating that it is secondary to the stroke.These migraine happens 6-9 times a month and leaves me paralized up to 3 hours at a time. I suppose I'll have another C&P exam for that. I have the DAV in San Diego helping me out with all the paper work! I just hope I get a good rating, Im at 20% now, I got a bad feeling I'll only get another 10%! Any idea's or guess?

On the first claim I had the stroke with the migraine calender log, then the VA sent me another claim for the migraine secondary to the stroke. But they have all the medical records and Doctors statements. Hopefully the rating will include the migraine. I hope it all works out!