VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dioxin At Ft Mcclellan

Rate this question

jan

Question

Has anyone heard anymore of this topic since February? I know Capt. Agnes B. passed

away from her disease she acquired from her time there. I know many soldiers with the

Military Police and Chemical School are still waiting along with the WAC's are still

waiting for the approval for their ailments.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am very interested in this post. I was stationed at Ft. McClellan around the time frame of Nov. 1980 through Jan. or Feb. 1981. I find this post interesting because I was diagnosed with an enlarged thyroid gland which was removed in 1983 (while in service). I am not taking any medication since the removal however, this was not a condition that anyone in my family had. I'm now wondering if some of the required exercises/drills while in chemical school later caused a problem with my thyroid gland. Just curious...

• HadIt.com Elder
Berta what do you mean by the superfund. James Scripp sent me a lot of papers and Ft. McClellan was on the list along with a lot of others including

Aberdeen Proving Grounds and Ft Gordon.

FYI

http://epa.gov/superfund/sites/

J

I know this an a year old but I want to bring up Ft McClellan. I went to Chemical School there. During the training we had to go through a Live Nerve Agent Training session where we actually went through a live nerve agent chamber, full MOPP Level 4. At the last station every piece of clothing we had on went into the incinerator. I went through there in 1993. I am researching everything I can find about Ft McClellan and I have found a lot but I cannot find anything that will lead me to the VA allowing us who was at Ft McClellan to be SC'd for certain illnesses or autoimmune diseases. Does anybody have any information on this? Or has it been posted by the VA yet? I know there is the Ft. McClellan Health Register Act that has been brought up but I haven found much on that. Any information will be helpful. Thanks...

There is an online petition at

http://www.petitiononline.com/pcbstudy/petition.html

and I am sure you have found this forum.

http://vetsforjusticechat.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/5701028811

Here is the bill (HR 6238)

(looks to me like vets have to get cracking on obtaining more sponsors for it)

and there are references on the net to VA presumptives for Fort McClellan vets- but this is just a rumor.

This is similiar to the Project SHAD/112 issue.In this respect:

Veterans have to establish a commonality factor of their disabilities,develop a data base of those factors and push for an IOM review or use some already published sources as to how toxins at Ft MC Clellan caused their disabilities- and find an expert who VA would be hard pressed to knock down- to even attempt to get this moving.

This can be done but it will take lots of work on the part of veterans affected by toxins at Ft Mc Clellan.

If a vet files claim on basis of these toxins and has a strong IMO in support of their claim,from an environmental expert -the vet could potentially succeed but that only helps one vet and legislation would help many other vets in similar types of claims.

Edited by Berta