VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gaf Score 55

Rate this question

Papa

Question

Maybe someone can clear domething up for me that even an old country boy can understand. I received a GAF score of 55 and was given 30%. I keep reading on Hadit that if you are working you will get less!! Whats the difference? If you got a GAF score of 55, should you not get the same rating whether one is working or not? It is still 55. I was wondering if the VA gives different ratings for Veterans who have lost a leg that works vs a Veteran who does not work. I understand that there are a lot of variables, but it does not seem fair.

Papa

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am a former C and P examiner and a Clinical Psychologist with two tours in Vietnam with Marine Force Recon. I am 100% P and T and SSDI. I will clarify what a GAF score means in an evaluation. A GAF scores is much like your blood pressure it never stays the same through the day. You may have a GAF of 35 in the morning then have one of 55 in the afternoon. I will debate the importance of a GAF score as it is a predictor of behavior over a period of time. Going into a C and P with just one evaluation will not generate the rating you will get. But a veteran who has been in treatment for a long period of time has a longitudinal record of GAF scores. There are 10 parts to a C and P examination and GAF is one of them. The one that counts the most is if the examiner also diagnoses one with PTSD or what other mental health disorder one has.

Your history especially military history and combat awards go a long way as does the GAF score. Then it is the severity specifier on Axis I and the severity rating on Axis IV that will allow the raters to make an appropriate rating.

Patrick

• HadIt.com Elder
Maybe someone can clear domething up for me that even an old country boy can understand. I received a GAF score of 55 and was given 30%. I keep reading on Hadit that if you are working you will get less!! Whats the difference? If you got a GAF score of 55, should you not get the same rating whether one is working or not? It is still 55. I was wondering if the VA gives different ratings for Veterans who have lost a leg that works vs a Veteran who does not work. I understand that there are a lot of variables, but it does not seem fair.

Papa

VA comp is based on a premise that it actually compensates you for the amount of money your disability would cause you to lose in the Manufacturing environment,

That is why the percentages are used.

J

I am a former C and P examiner and a Clinical Psychologist with two tours in Vietnam with Marine Force Recon. I am 100% P and T and SSDI. I will clarify what a GAF score means in an evaluation. A GAF scores is much like your blood pressure it never stays the same through the day. You may have a GAF of 35 in the morning then have one of 55 in the afternoon. I will debate the importance of a GAF score as it is a predictor of behavior over a period of time. Going into a C and P with just one evaluation will not generate the rating you will get. But a veteran who has been in treatment for a long period of time has a longitudinal record of GAF scores. There are 10 parts to a C and P examination and GAF is one of them. The one that counts the most is if the examiner also diagnoses one with PTSD or what other mental health disorder one has.

Your history especially military history and combat awards go a long way as does the GAF score. Then it is the severity specifier on Axis I and the severity rating on Axis IV that will allow the raters to make an appropriate rating.

Patrick

Patrick,

It's great to see you posting and helping claimants.

Truly appreciate your input.

carlie

Along with GAF do cognitive problems play a part in the rating decision for mental disorders? I scored below 1st percentile for all the short and long term memory tests in psych exam and examiner said my memory problems are part of my total disability picture. He didn't say whether my memory problems are related to my mental disorder so now i'm worried.

dh

Edited by darkhorse

The GAF is only a part of the evaluation and I am afraid that to many here are putting entirely to much into what their GAF is instead of proving up their case

i agree with pete. i got my 100 percent total for anxiety/depression (although not permanent) and don't have a clue what my gaf scores have been, ever.

I keep reading on Hadit that if you are working you will get less!! Whats the difference? If you got a GAF score of 55, should you not get the same rating whether one is working or not? It is still 55. I was wondering if the VA gives different ratings for Veterans who have lost a leg that works vs a Veteran who does not work. I understand that there are a lot of variables, but it does not seem fair.

Papa

i also agree with papa's general line of thought about it not seeming fair about working and/or going to school with mental vs physical disabilities with va. i guess it's in the wording:

va: you are granted 100 percent for (insert mental disability) because you (have these symptoms that PREVENT you from working --see, we don't give bennies if you can soldier on, soldier, because you are mental, get it? men--tul) so don't let us catch you, no way, no how.

vs

va: you are granted 100 percent for (insert physical disability) because you (have these symptoms that you could possibly, who knows, overcome and work) so knock yourself out, vetrun.

also:

jbasser (nice boat, btw) said:

"VA comp is based on a premise that it actually compensates you for the amount of money your disability would cause you to lose in the Manufacturing environment,

That is why the percentages are used."

so, i guess a men-tul-ly disabled vetrun can only be expected to earn up to what va hands out as compunsashun, and be damned glad you get at least that because they sure are doing their damnedest to shut out as many as possible. a physically disabled vetrun, like oh say max clelland (and i'm no expert on him) can claim 100 percent and take on all kinds of speaking/congressional roles and make as much as he can and va can't touch him? damifino