VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Does This Mean

Rate this question

commosgt

Question

I am a newbie here. I received a diagnosis write up from MH doctor. I don't what this is, what it means, how does it compare to a GAF score.

I currently have a claim pending for Depression/Anxiety. I finally received the diagnosis from the PTSD doc today. The write up states the following:

Beck Depression Inventory Score=46 Severe Depressive Symptoms

Beck Anxiety Index score=32 Severe Anxiety Symptoms

Mississippi Combat Scale Score=135: a cutoff of 107 (or higher) Suggested For Vietnam, Combat related PTSD

Freestanding PK Scale (Post-Traumatic Stree Disorder-Keane) of the MMPI2: Score 41 a cutoff of 28 (or higher) suggested for PTSD.

What does this all mean! What is my GAF score if any(previous GAF score was a 51). I have no idea what the he!! this is.

commosgt

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

It appears to me that what you had was a partial neuropsychological test. The GAF of 51 is moderate to severe. Look at your C&P evaluation at the section called AXIS. There will be AXIS I thru V and see what it says next to those. AXIS V is the GAF. AXIS IV is the severity and AXIS I is the current diagnosis. The GAF isn't everything, it's just a portion of data used for rating you. If it was just the GAF score that counted, the C&Ps would be just one liners with just a GAF number and that's it. Don't get too hung up on GAFs, my buddy has a GAF of 53 and I a 52. My buddy also has 3 purple hearts and was rated at 30% last November. My claim is 4 days short of being a year old and I sincerely hope to hear something any day now since I had my C&P last July.

Now it is hurry up and wait.

Sounds like that doc used those stupid multi-question tests to determine what you have and how severe it is. Those tests have NO basis in medical fact and are often misused by the VA...they are meant to be general guidelines for Psychs on initial appointments to have a better idea of what they are getting into (a kinda bullet point version of your current problems); instead, the VA uses them as concrete documentation of a given disorder:-(

Get your C&P exam results and tell us what the axis were and what the GAF was....also, as i always say, pay for a civilian doctor and get him/her to write you an eval as well:-)

I am a newbie here. I received a diagnosis write up from MH doctor. I don't what this is, what it means, how does it compare to a GAF score.

I currently have a claim pending for Depression/Anxiety. I finally received the diagnosis from the PTSD doc today. The write up states the following:

Beck Depression Inventory Score=46 Severe Depressive Symptoms

Beck Anxiety Index score=32 Severe Anxiety Symptoms

Mississippi Combat Scale Score=135: a cutoff of 107 (or higher) Suggested For Vietnam, Combat related PTSD

Freestanding PK Scale (Post-Traumatic Stree Disorder-Keane) of the MMPI2: Score 41 a cutoff of 28 (or higher) suggested for PTSD.

What does this all mean! What is my GAF score if any(previous GAF score was a 51). I have no idea what the he!! this is.

commosgt

It means you tested positive for PTSD. This is good, undisputable proof of your claim. (several tests confirming each other) GAF is a PERSONAL opinion from examiners or caregivers based on functional impairment. The test scores may influance the opinion but do not equate to a GAF. Jay and Rocky are correct, your AXIS should state the GAF assigned. I'm only guessing but your test scores suggest a lower GAF than 51. My opinion.

Time