VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% - What Privileges Do Vets Get? Spouse Medical? On Base? Not Sure!

Rate this question

supportmyfellowvet

Question

Hi all:

Can someone tell me what privileges a 100% rated vet gets?

I think my spouse will have her medical covered entirely, but where will VA send her? Will she go to any outside provider? I'm not sure if CHAMPUS plays any role in this.

Do Vets receiving 100% get on base privileges?

Any help would be appreciated,

-: )

I borrowed this from elsewhere.

Keep checking around as there maybe more.

carlie

What benefits does my state provide Disabled Vets?

Click here and find out.

ADDITIONAL BENEFITS AVAILABLE FOR SERVICE CONNECTED DISABLED VETERANS

EVALUATION BENEFITS

0% To 20%

•Certification of Eligibility for home loan guaranty.

•Home loan guaranty fee exemption.

VA Priority medical treatment card.

•Vocational Rehabilitation and Counseling under title

38 USC Chapter 31 (must be at least 10%)

•Service Disabled Veterans insurance (Maximum of $10,000 coverage) must file within 2 years from date of new

service connection.

10 point Civil Service Preference (10 points added to Civil Service test score).

Clothing allowances for veterans who use or wear a prosthetic or orthopedic appliance (artificial limb, braces, or wheelchair) or use prescribed medications for skin condition, which tend to wear, tear or soil clothing.

•Temporary total evaluation (100%) based on hospitalization for a service connected disability in excess of

21 days; or surgical treatment for a service connected disability necessitating at least 1 month of convalescence or immobilization by cast, without surgery of more major joints.

30% In addition to the above:

•Additional allowances for dependent(s) [spouse, child(ren), step child(ren), helpless child(ren), full-time students between the ages 18 to 23, and parent(s)]

•Additional allowances for a spouse who is a patient in a nursing home or helpless or blind or so nearly helpless or blind as to require the aid and attendance of another person.

40% In addition to the above:

•Automobile grant and/or special adaptive equipment for an automobile provided there is loss or permanent loss of use of one or both feet, loss or permanent loss of one or both hands or permanent impaired vision of both eyes with central visual acuity of 20/200 or less in better eye.

•Special adaptive equipment may also be applied for if there is ankylosis of one or both knees or one or both hips.

50% In addition to the above:

•VA Medical outpatient treatment for any condition except dental.

•Preventive health care services.

•Hospital care and medical services in non-VA facilities under an authorized fee basis agreement.

60% In addition to the above:

•Increased compensation (100%) based on individual Unemployability (applies to veterans who are unable to obtain or maintain substantially gainful employment due to service connected disability)

100% In addition to the above:

•Dental treatment.

•Department of Defense Commissary privileges.

•Veteran’s employment preference for spouse.

•Waiver of National Service Life Insurance premiums.

•National Service Life insurance total disability income provisions.

•Specially adapted housing for veterans who have loss or permanent loss of use of both lower extremities or the loss or blindness in both eyes having light perception only plus loss or permanent loss of one lower extremity or the loss or permanent loss of use of one lower extremity with loss or permanent loss of use of one upper extremity or the loss or permanent loss of use of one extremity together with an organic disease which affects the function of balance and propulsion as to preclude locomotion without the aid of braces, crutches, canes or wheelchair.

•Special home adaptation Grant (for veterans who don’t qualify for Specially Adapted Housing) may be applied for if the veteran is permanently and totally disabled due to blindness in both eyes with visual acuity or 5/200 or less or loss of or permanent loss of use of both hands.

100% (Permanent and Total) in addition to the above:

•Civilian Health and Medical Program for dependents and survivors (ChampVA)

•Survivors and dependents education assistance

• HadIt.com Elder
Hi all:

Can someone tell me what privileges a 100% rated vet gets?

I think my spouse will have her medical covered entirely, but where will VA send her? Will she go to any outside provider? I'm not sure if CHAMPUS plays any role in this.

Do Vets receiving 100% get on base privileges?

Any help would be appreciated,

-: )

To get CHAMPVA (which is really a GREAT benefit, my wife uses hers) you, the vet, have to be not ONLY 100%, but also rated P&T (permanently and totally) disabled.

To get your MWR card (morale, welfare and recreation) card the same applies as above. You will need to have your VA Regional Office send, to you, a letter stating that you are 100% and P&T. Take this letter to your nearest military installation (or your farthest one, if you want a reason for a "road trip") and when you get to the Main Gate, tell 'em what you want. You'll be directed to the Visitors Building where they will issue you your MWR card. Take your wife/husband/kids/SO. Also take your vehicle registration and proof of insurance, if you wish to be able to drive your car "on base" (I've found that it's good to have your car with you, to make your escape with all your loot!).

Edited by LarryJ

• HadIt.com Elder

Your wife is entitled to ChampVA for life. Its great Insurance if you have a supplement or to use as a supplement with other insurance.

Over the years the best part of ChampVA is that Medical Care and procedures are paid in full except for original 50 dollar at the beginning of each year.

It also pays 25% for Meds and you have choice of generics or rand and in13 years the only thing turned down was a formulated medicine wife takes for hormone therapy

http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/champva/champva.asp

You can apply and read up on ChampVA here

• HadIt.com Elder

ChampVA coordinates well with medicare and most health insurance. I complained about it because I had a hard time getting to speak to someone. However, when my wife was in the hospital we did not pay a dime because ChampVA coordinated with BC. It took time since they are the secondary and the primary insurance has to pay first, but it worked out. My wife knows how to talk to them. You can't use military post facility unless you are retired military.

• HadIt.com Elder
Your wife is entitled to ChampVA for life. Its great Insurance if you have a supplement or to use as a supplement with other insurance.

Over the years the best part of ChampVA is that Medical Care and procedures are paid in full except for original 50 dollar at the beginning of each year.

It also pays 25% for Meds and you have choice of generics or rand and in13 years the only thing turned down was a formulated medicine wife takes for hormone therapy

http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/champva/champva.asp

You can apply and read up on ChampVA here

Remember, Pete, you gotta be P&T for CHAMPVA. He does not say whether he is, or not.

As far as the 25% for meds, we just got through going through all my wife's pharmacy receipts back to when I was awarded my TDIU P&T. We put all the receipts where we owed a co-pay, or the receipts where her other insurance did NOT pay..........several thousand dollars (my wife is a diabetic and just one of her drugs (Byeta) is over $600 a pop) and they (CHAMPVA) paid ALL of it. We did have to have her doctor write an "explanation" for her individually compounded hormone therapy, but, CHAMPVA picked right up on it.

I think that CHAMPVA is probably one of the BEST benefits a family can have, from the VA, and I've got the bank deposit slips to prove it :lol: !

That and the DEA (dependents educational assistance) which just keeps right sending my boy his educational assistance, it has allowed him to continue his studys without having to quit and find a job............(ya want fries with dat?). :D