VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disability Rating (sc)...do You Have To Disclose To Employer?

Rate this question

MDB1968NM

Question

Hi everyone,

If this is not the right area then Mods please move this.

If someone is applying for a job after military retirement and they are disabled (SC), does that have to be disclosed to the employer?  The reason I ask is that many govt jobs ask if you are applying for preference.  Would the employer need to know what your disabilities are, OR, would they just have to know your rating percentage if that?

I would think that some employers might hold having a disability against the potential job seeker in certain instances.  Has anyone had any direct experience with this?

Thanks for the information in advance!

;)

• Answers 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I did not retire, but when I have applied for jobs I have always disclosed that I have a bad back and that I am a Disabled Veteran. I usually tell them that when I am at the interview. I also say that as the employer they can get a tax break for hiring a Disabled Vet......

Thanks....I would make the assumption that it is one of the things that employers are not supposed to ask...like marital status, dependents, religion, etc. but was curious.

the employer only needs to know if your disability prevents you from doing the job you are hired for. i am 70 percent and my employer doesn't care unless my ptsd prevents me from doing my job. some sc 's are protected by the americans with disabilities act and does not have to be disclosed, check the ada rules.

Thanks Jim!  That makes 100% sense to me and I will look into the ADA information!  I know that some people consider having a "disability" like a scarlet letter and that is a shame.