VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nod/dro Processing Time?

Rate this question

diablogun

Question

Hi all,

I filed my NOD at the Phoenix VARO with a date of March 10, 2009, and am wondering how long you all have waited for a SOC after this point. My case is pretty clear cut and should result in a favorable outcome, but one can never be certain.

I would love to hear from you all how long it took in your experiences; I know that some have had a nightmare experince, but I would appreciate all outcomes. I have sent several IRIS inquiries but don't know how long my chances are for resolution. Thank you in advance :-)

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi all,

I filed my NOD at the Phoenix VARO with a date of March 10, 2009, and am wondering how long you all have waited for a SOC after this point. My case is pretty clear cut and should result in a favorable outcome, but one can never be certain.

I would love to hear from you all how long it took in your experiences; I know that some have had a nightmare experince, but I would appreciate all outcomes. I have sent several IRIS inquiries but don't know how long my chances are for resolution. Thank you in advance :-)

I filed NOD requesting

DeNovo review by DRO. Did not request hearing. Filed 4/08, decision 9/09, partial grant. I was impressed by the detailed listing of evidence, exams, etc., by the DRO. However, I do not agree with his/her decision--I feel my rating is still low-balled. *Ironic: the detailed listing of evidence was in more detail and more accurate than the prior BVA decision it pertained to in 2007. I get the impression that may be someone in the VARO is at least trying to do a better job.

My NOD is in Houston :) . I was told at least one year for completion, I wish mine was in Waco :angry:

Ken

I filed an NOD in January of '09, and it was processed in February of '09, at the Regional office in Waco. My wife received a phone call in Aug. '09 stating they would review my case during that month. In Sept. I received a phone call from the VA asking martial questions. To date (Sept 26) I have yet to receive anything else.

I'm going through Waco too. Had a dro hearing in Mrch. I just finished with tests a couple weeks ago. I just found out last week a decision has been made. Waiting to find out what that is (but expect I know the answer.).

The "time frame" is going to be exactly what the Regional Office thinks it should be, no more, no less. They have no set schedule and RO's often take full advantage of this fact. Veterans have strict deadlines, and are not allowed a single day's leeway. If you have sent a NOD in 1 year and 1 day after your RO decision, you will know what I mean. I have heard of one Veteran receiving benefits in as little as 7 months, I also know a Veteran who put in his claim in 1973 with no successful resolution yet. An "Average" is probably in between those extremes, if I were to venture a guess, I would say 1-2 years. My claim took 7 years, including appeals. The famous "six month" processing time that the RO claims does not include appeal times, and, since the majority of claims are denied the first time, I think this 6 month number is "spin" while the average actual time for a Veteran to obtain benefits is about 3 years, with 2 years being a minimum for appeals.

Personally, I think this is all backwards. I think the Veteran should NOT be on a strict timetable, while the Regional Office should have a strict limit on processing time..probably 90 days. Social Security does their claims within 90 days, so why cant the VA?