This eBook will teach you how to get C-Files (paper and electronic) from the VA Regional Office.
How to Get your VA C-File

• Topics

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS NEED HELP !!!
      You need to order your Cfile, and review your records.  Does your entrance exam show a history of alcohol abuse?  Also read your C and P exams.  The decision states the examiner stated your shoulder issue was less likely than not related to service.  This means you have not got a nexus.  If, indeed, your c and p exam says this, then you will need to fix this to get SC, probably by an IME/IMO.   You need to check your records to see if the statments they made are consistent with the medical records/cfile.  If not, its possible either the VA did not read your evidence, they shredded some, or they used another Vets medical records (yes, it happens).     You posted (from your decision) : "You submitted a lay statement to Support your claim. A credible lay statement may establish what was seen, heard, and directly experienced. The lay evidence was found not to be competent and sufficient in this case to establish a diagnosis of your condition or to show that a diagnosis had been made by a medical professional. You submitted a lay statement to support your claim. A credible lay statement may establish what was seen, heard, and directly experienced. The lay evidence was found not to be competent or credible evidence of the symptoms of your claimed condition. Although, some evidence supports your claim, we found other medical evidence more persuasive because it is supported by an accurate account of the medical history and/or it is the most detailed and reliable depiction of your medical condition. While some evidence supports your claim, we found other medical evidence more persuasive because it is supported by your relevant military And/or personal history. The VA medical opinion found no link between your diagnosed medical condition and military service.  You submitted lay evidence that your claimed disability is..."   The underlined portion is not a valid reasons and bases.  They must be specific as to what medical evidence conflicted your lay statements.  They need to say something like, "The Veteran reported xx, but Dr. C on 4-14-2010 stated this was yy, and that xx was incorrect".   You probably need to file a NOD, after reviewing your cfile, before, if it does not arrive within  a year.    
    • Memorial Day Vets Freebies, discounts
      Add yours to the list if you have one: Memorial Day is May 30. It's a time set aside to honor those who lost their lives in the service of their country. It's also become a time for people to thank active duty military personnel and veterans for their service to America. Some stores, restaurants and attractions offer freebies, deals and discounts for both current and former military personnel. It's always good to check with individual merchants to ensure their participation and make sure you have military identification. Here are some of the best Memorial Day offers: Restaurants Applebee's: Up to 10 percent off with valid military ID. Cinnabon: Save 15 percent at participating locations daily with your military ID. Dunkin' Donuts: Take 10 percent off all online orders every day with your Veterans Advantage membership. Hooters: Present military ID at Hooters on Memorial Day and for a free burger, buffalo chicken salad, or 10-piece wings. Lone Star Steakhouse: 20 percent off on Mondays, and 10 percent all other days of the week with valid military ID. McCallister's Deli: Free meal to all active duty military. Includes complimentary entrée, drink and dessert on May 30. McCormick & Schmick's: Active-duty military and veterans can get a free entrée for dinner or lunch on Monday, May 30. The options include buttermilk fried shrimp, parmesan crusted chicken, beef medallions, or beer battered fish and chips. Outback Steakhouse: 10 percent off with valid military ID. Red Robin: Free appetizer with any $10 purchase all weekend. You have to be a Red Robin Royalty member to qualify and can sign up here. Shoney's: One All-American Burger with fries is available to each guest with military ID on Memorial Day. Texas Roadhouse: Receive up to 30 percent off depending on location with valid military ID. Attractions Museums: More than 2,000 museums around the country offer free admission to active-duty military and their families from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day. You can find participating museums here. National Park Service: Current U.S. military members, dependents of deployed members of the armed forces and most Reservists and National Guard members can get a free annual pass year-round with military ID. Walt Disney World Resort: Four days military promotional tickets with park hopper option is $196 plus tax. Purchase through Dec. 16 for use now through Dec. 19. Zoos: Many zoos, including the Birmingham Zoo, offers free admission for all active duty and retired military and their dependents on May 28 from 9 a.m.-May 30 at 5 p.m. Other Lowe's  Year round 10% Discount for Active Duty, Disabled Vets, retired.     General motors: Active duty, reservists, retirees, veterans and their spouses can receive the General Motors military discount on Chevrolet, Buick, and GMC vehicles through May 31. Hyundai: Hyundai is doubling its usual $500 military discount for active, retired or veteran military members and their spouses for all eligible 2015, 2016 and 2017 model-year new Hyundai vehicles. Lowe's: A 10 percent military discount to active duty military members and retired veterans, or VA recipients. Valid military ID required. Nike: Save 10 percent at Nike.com and U.S. Nike retail stores throughout the year as an active duty, retired or reserve member of the armed forces. Under Armour: Veterans and active duty service members receive 15 percent off with valid UA Troop ID from May 24 to May 31. You can find out more here.
    • Increase Upgrade rather then DRO or Re open
      Your Award has to pass the 1 year mark, without a NOD filing, to become final. I was in the same situation back in 07/14. Secondary 04/14 FDC Awarded @ 0%. At that time, I had just been Awarded IU at a 06/28/14 DRO Hearing, from a 2010 NOD. Sure didn't want to wait another 3 to 4 yrs for a DRO Decision. Filed a New Secondary FDC 01/15, exactly the same as the 04/14 FDC. C & P took place 04/15 (real Negative VA Dr), 07/15 Decision letter, same Secondary SC @ 0%. I was getting ready to get back on the NOD Train 12/15, just hadn't mailed it in yet. Went on E-Ben 01/03/16 to get a copy of my IU Award for MI Property Tax Exemption. Low and behold, the VA Quality Control Phantom Rater, had taken me from 90% IU to 100% Scheduler with SMC S (1), in mid December. I have no idea of how long the Quality Control Rater had my 07/15 Decision. Had I jumped back on the NOD Train right away, would that have stopped his review and subsequent Award, I don't know. Semper Fi
    • I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS NEED HELP !!!
      The decision states: "Because we were able to identify a marker in your service treatment reports you were scheduled for a VA compensation examination which was conducted in July 2015.  The examiner diagnosed major depressive disorder and other specified anxiety disorder.  The examiner indicated it is at least as likely as not the" stressor occurred. However the examiner indicated The series of experiences you found to be distressing, you reported antagonistic harassment by superiors related to alcohol rehabilitation contributed to his distress." That, in my opinion ,is not a stressor. We have a topic here I did on what is and isn't a stressor available under a search.  Although combat is not the only prerequisite for a stressor, this does not come close to a non combat stressor. Others might disagree with me and chime in here.    
    • Should I file a claim now or wait?
      Sax, your NEW claim has no bearing or affect on the Issues being Appealed to the BVA. I don't recall you mentioning that you actually started a New claim on your E-Ben site. You know, right, just starting the Claim on E-Ben, establishes your Retro Date? Filing as an FDC, is the way to go. My experience has been very positive with filing FDCs, as soon as the New DX Condition is in my VMC Medical Record. Some would caution, that Filing New Claims would slow down your other older claims or appeals. I filed (2) Secondary FDCs 02 & 04/14, 4 yr old DRO Hearing request was held 06/29/14. Both FDCs (1 Denial, 1 Awarded) were done by 07/14.  Semper Fi  
    • Exams during flare up?
      Oh okay, very good info. Seems similar to the one I had as well. Crossing my fingers for an increase. 
    • DRO hearing
      Rpowell, I would hold off on this until John Dorle sees it.     I think that is the John D you mean. Maybe Dr Bash or even John Dorle could provide an Addendum solely supporting the P & T Issue. I do not see a CUE here. And I do not feel you should drop those pending issues if any of them could possibly cause or contribute to your death. P & T is a medical determination, and like all of the other disability ratings, it requires a C & P exam unless they have significant evidence already, as you said they do in the opinion from Dr. Bash. Even if this involves a new IMO ( Dr Bash might want them to do a new C & P so that his IMO can attack that word for word) it would be well worth the investment  (his fee) in my opinion because the benefits of 100% P & T to your dependents and even with impact on your property tax, depending on where you live, all of that would be worth an IMO specifically for the P & T.        
    • Need some advice
      I'd likely see about voiding the NG enlistment. Can't have both. I'd think that you would not be deployable with the problems you mentioned.
    • C&P Examiner Pushed Me...FORCED
      I want to know if any of you have been forced for movement in your c&p exams by an examiner? I was. In fact, at my exam the examiner went through with me my MRI and showed me MS spots all over my lower spine and all sorts of other problems, I just had surgery for blown discs and paralysis... a several moths prior, it was hard for me to even drive to the exam not being able to hardly feel my feet and I had severe arthritis since it was winter (nerve roots all clumped together), I got around with a cane. So, the examiner had me do the motions and pushed me down, and at the sides, etc... it hurt (she literally threw her hand and pushed me and caused nerve damage, my back was extremely swollen from arthritis), I had no idea what she was doing and because of my problems I had some incontinence which was embarrassing. I had developed this from exposures to certain things in OEF (spots on spine). I was so mad, how bad the VA was screwing me any way they could and hell I just got back from war a year prior and this is how I was treated for sacrifice to the country. I left in tears and dirty drawers. I had no idea what to do, the VA hospital refused me c&p records from this and the VA only used it against me and then ignored as the exam didn't exist and the service reps with DAV, American Legion, all didn't give a damn and since I was a very young guy-they didn't care either; being first wave of guys back from war it was sparse to see young vets since not being in war for a long time-I am sure-but they didn't give a damn-USELESS SERVICE ORGANIZATIONS. I tried to fight back, I got nowhere, the VA was against me, in a demonic way. THIS WAS A VERY, VERY, VERY BAD EXPERIENCE I WANTED TO SHARE WITH YOU.  I realized the examiner was puppet for money, the VA and some demonic people within the VA wanted to screw me and that VSO's are worthless and YOU are all on your own. By the way, why is it if you have pieces of your spine removed it isn't considered like a loss of a body part is, losing a leg or an arm is paid out SMC, but if your missing parts of your spine how in the world is that now considered a loss of a body part and not entitled to SMC? It would be like saying, oh you use a prosthetic leg, so you leg is fine, no loss. Hence, segments of spine removed and replaced, fused, etc. I wonder why this topic hasn't caused more fuss in the VA community as range of motion is a joke, and that just all that is used to rate. 
    • Need some advice
      Hello to my fellow Brothers and Sisters this is my first post, I've been a long time lurker. I am a recently discharged OEF Vet. I joined the National Guard prior to my ETS. I really only joined for the healthcare to help out my family members. I knew my mind and body was breaking down too much to carry on doing active duty Infantry and I wasn't allowed to re-class. The Guard offered me one so I decided to re-class in the Guard to a HR MOS. I didn't receive a bonus and haven't gone to my AIT for the re-class yet. I've only participated in one Drill weekend. I recently received my award letter for 100% SC P&T. I don't know what to do now about staying in the Guard? Will I be penalized by the VA? Will it change my rating? Will the Guard just MEB me? Any advice is appreciated.

• HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran providing FREE information and community to veterans since 1997.

I am proud that I've been able to offer all that HadIt.com has for free for 19 years and continue to do so. HadIt.com does accept contributions to help with costs we also offer paid ad free subscriptions. None of the paid options are required. The forum, the website, news site and podcast are free and will remain so. If you choose to support the site with a contribution or a subscription it is appreciated but never required. If you choose to make a contribution or purchase an ad free subscription, you can do so here. 

KamiKappa B

Sarcoidosis

11 posts in this topic

I separated from the Marines December of 2003, OIF Vet, was there at the kickoff of that event. September of 2008 I noticed swollen lymph nodes in my neck/jaw area. After a biopsy that lead to a collapsed lung I was notified by the VA (I had to contact them to find out) that I have sarcoidosis. The doctor told me that she was seeing an increase in cases of sarcoidosis in servicemembers coming back from Iraq. My question is: Even though 5 years had passed since I separated from the military, can my sarcoidosis be considered service connected? I did a little research on this site and noticed something about it being considered "presumptive." Can someone please break this down to me in something other than just a lot of medical jargon. I have a difficult time sometimes trying to understand what things mean. Any help is appreciated.

Kappa

I read it as presumptive conditions is 1 year.And the disease must be compensable.

There are also time limits on service.

J

Did you have any symptoms in service? Is there anything in your SMR's to suggest you had health problems?

The closest thing I have to anything respitory is that I am SC rated 10% for sinusitis/rhinitis.

The longer you wait to file a claim after service the harder it gets in most cases except if there is a presumption like AO claims. If you don't have evidence in your SMR's it gets even harder. The VA is great at saying " vets SMR's are silent on this issue". The VA is an adversarial system. You have to prove by medical evidence that your disability is connected to your service.

This claim might help you deternmine what the VA will need as evidence-- were you exposed to any type of burn pits in Iraq? ANy other types of chemicals? What was your MOS?

http://www.va.gov/vetapp07/files2/0715885.txt

This was a PGW vet but still -if you can prove exposure to anything in service that could have caused your sarcoidosis-

along with the respiratory condition you also have documented now- your claim could be granted.It probably wont be easy-but NOTHING is impossible -

would the doc you mentioned be willing to write an IMO for you?

"In May 2006, the veteran underwent a VA Respiratory

Examination. The examiner noted that his findings were

suggestive of sarcoidosis, but a definite diagnosis would

require observation over time and possible invasive testing.

He added that the etiology of sarcoidosis is unknown, but the

contents of smoke from burning oil wells could contain

factors responsible for this condition. In September 2006,

the examiner provided further clarification noting that the

veteran's respiratory signs and symptoms are more likely than

not due to exposure to burning oil, suffered in Iraq, which

contained numerous, noxious chemicals capable of causing

permanent respiratory damage. He added that this was true

whether or not the definitive diagnosis is sarcoidosis and

that such exposure may well initiate the inflammatory cascade

that creates sarcoidosis and may also do direct damage to

lung parenchyma and airway mucosa so as to result in the same

symptoms. Based on the examiner's opinion, service

connection for a respiratory disability, to include

sarcoidosis, is warranted. 38 U.S.C.A. § 5107; Gilbert, 1

Vet. App. at 54.

Duties to Notify and Assist

The Veterans Claims Assistance Act of 2000 (VCAA) describes

VA's duty to notify and assist claimants in substantiating a

claim for VA benefits. 38 U.S.C.A. §§ 5100, 5102, 5103,

5103A, 5107, 5126; 38 C.F.R. §§ 3.102, 3.156(a), 3.159,

3.326(a). Because of the favorable outcome in this case, any

failure of VA to fully comply with the VCAA is harmless

error.

ORDER

Entitlement to service connection for a respiratory

disability, to include sarcoidosis, is granted."

Bertha,

I was told by my primary care and mental health doctors at the VA that they no longer could do IMO's. I assume it's the same with the doc that was telling me about sarcoidosis. I believe I have an appointment coming up and hopefully I will be able to ask her then about the IMO.

I DID come across a journal that I kept covering the time from when we were on ship, up to us being in Baghdad. In this journal is an entry specifically talking about burning of feces and animal carcasses in our immediate area. I wrote it as sort of a poem. There's a lot of unmentionable stuff in there. Do you think that it may help in any way? Thanks for your help.

It could possibly help-but I am not sure if this type of burning would cause your condition- did you note any buddys in the journal with any contact info?

These two links might help: the first one is the VBN forum and sarcoidosis vets there might have email addys in their profiles- there could be an OIF OEF vet there-

http://vets.yuku.com/reply/94025/t/Re-Veterans-with-Sarcoidosis.html

://http://vets.yuku.com/reply/94025/t/...coidosis.html

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/sarcoidosis.html

this is a general description and the causes of your disability.

It could be worth your while to consider getting an IMO from outside the VA but they can be expensive.

Often it is the onkly way some claims can succeed.

You need to establish the inservice nexus.

that is proven exposure to something in service that as likely as not could have caused the sarcoidosis.

What was your inservice MOS?

My apologies Berta,

My MOS was 3521, Motor Transport mechanic. So i spent a lot of time crawling in, around, and underneath a lot of vehicles. No, I didn't mention any other people by name in the journal, just "this guy" or "the corpsman." Thank you for your help.

Kappa

KammiKappa B,

I too, have sarcoidosis. However, I am not s/c for it.

You may want to obtain and review a copy of:

DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS

UNDER SECRETARY FOR HEALTH'S INFORMATION LETTER "SARCOIDOSIS"

IL 10-2005-011, MAY 27, 2005.

JONATHAN B. PERLIN, MD,PHD, MSHA, FACP.

UNDER SECRETARY FOR HEALTH

*I have a copy of this letter. Possibly, I believe the UNDER SECRETARY has issued more current letters since this one. However, I am technologically challenged--not having a scanner. Possibly "Berta" or some other has the means to obtain this letter for you. If not, PM me with an address or fax number and I will get a copy to you.

Semper Fi, Mack!!

VMO

I separated from the Marines December of 2003, OIF Vet, was there at the kickoff of that event. September of 2008 I noticed swollen lymph nodes in my neck/jaw area. After a biopsy that lead to a collapsed lung I was notified by the VA (I had to contact them to find out) that I have sarcoidosis. The doctor told me that she was seeing an increase in cases of sarcoidosis in servicemembers coming back from Iraq. My question is: Even though 5 years had passed since I separated from the military, can my sarcoidosis be considered service connected? I did a little research on this site and noticed something about it being considered "presumptive." Can someone please break this down to me in something other than just a lot of medical jargon. I have a difficult time sometimes trying to understand what things mean. Any help is appreciated.

Kappa

I was also in Iraq in 2003. I was with the 101st and in vicinity of that big Sulfur fire near Q West/ Mosul. I hear more and more coming to light about us getting respiratory disorders.