VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sarcoidosis

Rate this question

KamiKappa B

Question

I separated from the Marines December of 2003, OIF Vet, was there at the kickoff of that event. September of 2008 I noticed swollen lymph nodes in my neck/jaw area. After a biopsy that lead to a collapsed lung I was notified by the VA (I had to contact them to find out) that I have sarcoidosis. The doctor told me that she was seeing an increase in cases of sarcoidosis in servicemembers coming back from Iraq. My question is: Even though 5 years had passed since I separated from the military, can my sarcoidosis be considered service connected? I did a little research on this site and noticed something about it being considered "presumptive." Can someone please break this down to me in something other than just a lot of medical jargon. I have a difficult time sometimes trying to understand what things mean. Any help is appreciated.

Kappa

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

It could possibly help-but I am not sure if this type of burning would cause your condition- did you note any buddys in the journal with any contact info?

These two links might help: the first one is the VBN forum and sarcoidosis vets there might have email addys in their profiles- there could be an OIF OEF vet there-

http://vets.yuku.com/reply/94025/t/Re-Veterans-with-Sarcoidosis.html

://http://vets.yuku.com/reply/94025/t/...coidosis.html

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/sarcoidosis.html

this is a general description and the causes of your disability.

It could be worth your while to consider getting an IMO from outside the VA but they can be expensive.

Often it is the onkly way some claims can succeed.

You need to establish the inservice nexus.

that is proven exposure to something in service that as likely as not could have caused the sarcoidosis.

What was your inservice MOS?

My apologies Berta,

My MOS was 3521, Motor Transport mechanic. So i spent a lot of time crawling in, around, and underneath a lot of vehicles. No, I didn't mention any other people by name in the journal, just "this guy" or "the corpsman." Thank you for your help.

Kappa

KammiKappa B,

I too, have sarcoidosis. However, I am not s/c for it.

You may want to obtain and review a copy of:

DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS

UNDER SECRETARY FOR HEALTH'S INFORMATION LETTER "SARCOIDOSIS"

IL 10-2005-011, MAY 27, 2005.

JONATHAN B. PERLIN, MD,PHD, MSHA, FACP.

UNDER SECRETARY FOR HEALTH

*I have a copy of this letter. Possibly, I believe the UNDER SECRETARY has issued more current letters since this one. However, I am technologically challenged--not having a scanner. Possibly "Berta" or some other has the means to obtain this letter for you. If not, PM me with an address or fax number and I will get a copy to you.

Semper Fi, Mack!!

VMO

I separated from the Marines December of 2003, OIF Vet, was there at the kickoff of that event. September of 2008 I noticed swollen lymph nodes in my neck/jaw area. After a biopsy that lead to a collapsed lung I was notified by the VA (I had to contact them to find out) that I have sarcoidosis. The doctor told me that she was seeing an increase in cases of sarcoidosis in servicemembers coming back from Iraq. My question is: Even though 5 years had passed since I separated from the military, can my sarcoidosis be considered service connected? I did a little research on this site and noticed something about it being considered "presumptive." Can someone please break this down to me in something other than just a lot of medical jargon. I have a difficult time sometimes trying to understand what things mean. Any help is appreciated.

Kappa

I was also in Iraq in 2003. I was with the 101st and in vicinity of that big Sulfur fire near Q West/ Mosul. I hear more and more coming to light about us getting respiratory disorders.