VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Comp Increase Questions?

Rate this question

USMC_HVEQ

Question

I'm wondering if I should file for an increase in some of my disabilities.

PTSD Increase 50% ---> 70%???? My PTSD, has not gotten better. I've felt awful. I've been avoiding treatment, have been in/out for a few years consistently. I was granted a DRO review last year, think december/january. I originally was low balled at 10% PTSD and asked for DRO review by de novo process and they said if we grant you 50% will you drop your appeal? I said yes, becuase i wasnt working and needed the money. I felt I've met the criteria for 70%. My pysch doctor, has my case red flag because of suicidal idealation. I've gotten in fights, have road rage (this is what i'm talking about unproved anger). I've lost friends, don't have hardly any. I've lost gfs, cuz I snap over small things. I'm like what the heck did I flip out for. Things seem to irritate me, super fast. I have had panic attacks everyday, sometimes multiple days for 4 yrs now. I keep missing appts to set up pyschiatrist appts so I can get some meds to help this. I have been on Setraline(zoloft, ithink) on/off when I can remeber to take it, when I had it. I've been super depressed the entire time as well. I have put on tons of weight as well over the 4 yrs my case has been going on from origination til now (maybe 150+ lbs) and now I'm obsese. It makes me sick to even say that. I have an up coming PCP appt (Dec 7) and will make appts for more cousneling. I want to go back to group therapy as well for returning OIF/OEF vets.

I have been out of treament for a while (less then 1 yr). Do they order a new C&P, I assume? what other stuff/visits do I need to obtain?

I have other issues as well, I want to get addressed.

• Shoulders-Bilaterally I'm SC at 20% each and given a 40% total bilateral factor rating for instability with guarding of movements. I have hill sachs deformities (glenohumeral heads) of both shoulders, bankart lesion and torn labrum, and arthritis in both shoulders as well. I was looking at the criteria. How do I get an increase? Do you file for arthritis, which would be another 10% each shoulder or 10% total if granted? wondering what does marked deformity mean for humeral head? (i can understand if someone said moderate deformotiy but what is a marked deformity?), Where does hill sachs deformity fall under? My shoulders are in pain all the time, back side of shoulders mainly.

• Sleep Apnea-I think I may have it. I've been told I snore extremely loud (mouth open). I wake up every night. SOmetimes for brief periods others are long, such as tonight. I think with gaining all this weight and all. At my PCP appt, I am going to request a sleep study. What do you tie it too for SC if It is proven to have it at sleep study? Background medical condition I have ptsd, HTN (sc), tinnitus, Shoulder probelms.

What should I file for in letter to VARO?

I appreciate any help/advice given here on hadit.

thank you all in advance.......

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

All,

Just diagnosed with Sleep Apnea 3 months ago and just diagnosed with Hill-Sachs (Bankhart Lesions), two weeks ago. Total disability is 80% with the lion share being PTSD. I have a note on my medical record detailing injuries to my right side of my head, and right knee. This all occurred during MCMAP training 2004 while testing. More likely than not, this is when my injury occurred. 

I cannot say why the Hill-Sachs (Bankhart Lesions) is just manifesting itself now, but with no surgery and a sedentary lifestyle. The only pain I remember are from the throws from MCMAP. Anyone who has studied this discipline understands.  

I know it will be an uphill battle to connect the PTSD with Sleep Apnea, but I know it can be done. Any help on this would be appreciated. Additionally, need some input on how to approach filling a claim for the Hill-Sachs (Bankhart Lesions). 

Primary Diagnostic Code: MAJOR ABNORMALITY

MJ

Definitely file for TDIU- has any doctor said you are unemployable?

Were you ever turned down by VA Voc Rehab due to your SC problems?

Do you get SSA disability benefits?

If so what for?

By all means try to get back into the group therapy and make sure you do not miss any appointments VA makes for you.

Check # 18 yes and then apply for SSA if you haven't yet-

Under Remarks # 25 refer them to additional page ,put your C file Number name and address on it and tell them any side effects of the meds (you can attach side effect print out if you have that-) that you have and that would affect employability-state briefly how you feel your SCs have increased in disabling affects to you.

Add any other diagnosed conditions you that you feel are due to your service or secondary to any SC you have now.

(side effects like do not take and drive, causes drowsiness, confusion etc.)

Make copies of the TDIU form and all submissions and mail it and make sure you mail it USPS Priority with tracking slip or By certified mail.

TDIU_21_8940.pdf

Edited by Berta

I plan on going back to group therapy soon. I have a primary care appt on Dec 7th. I'm going to ask for sleep study consult to see if I have sleep apnea. I'm going to request other appts for ortho and pysch.

ANyone have any other opinions?

I see a lot of people have viewed this, can anyone give their opinion on Sleep APnea?

Ab out issues with my shoulders? In MRI's I have, they state arthitis. IS there a C&P for arthritic claim?

what is the difference between moderate deformity and marked deformity of humerous? I have hill-sachs deformity of both shoulders. In the ratings it has 30% for major, which would be becuase it is a bilateral factor correct? I'm currently at 20% per shoulder.

I'm going to ask the primary care at the VA for a Sleep study. After I have that done and the results, do I need further information to file a claim for it? what would it secondary condition to? I'm service connected for PTSD,SHoulders, HTN, Tinnitus. I've become obese in the process of my depression, which I think is why I have sleep apnea, but I'm not a doctor so it is purely speculation.

I thank you all for your advice, no matter how small.

The apnea could be due to your HTN - you need a doc's opinion as to the nexus on that.Maybe even due to the PTSD or even due to the meds? Not a doc myself -so I dont know

The arthritis might well be aggravating the should condition.That too needs a medical opinion.

If you are not working _I think I attached the TDIU form here for you.

The obesity might be the main cause of the apnea - this could be due to self medicating with food or it might even be a side effect of the meds you take.

None of us are doctors here and really can only suggest what the cause of something could be.

There is plenty on the net on these conditions but the best way to get anything SCed if when a doctor can make the medical link.

Many C & P exams DO award the claims they are for, but if they all did we wouldn't be here.

The C & P exam results will give you a heads up on the way these claims will be decided- and maybe even the C & P docs will tell you at the exam (sometimes this can happen) if they find -as likely as not- service connection nexus.

forgot my point here-

claim any reason whatsoever for any condition you claim. We are not locked into one single reason.

for example you could say the PTSD and anxiety makes you eat a lot but also the weight you put on must have affected your sleep patterns.

then look up anything on the net that would suggest an association between HBP and apnea (if they do diagnose apnea) and offer that too as a potential reason for the apnea-

then look at the side effects thing you get with your SC meds and see if any med can cause sleep problems or weight gain.