VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Comp Increase Questions?

Rate this question

USMC_HVEQ

Question

I'm wondering if I should file for an increase in some of my disabilities.

PTSD Increase 50% ---> 70%???? My PTSD, has not gotten better. I've felt awful. I've been avoiding treatment, have been in/out for a few years consistently. I was granted a DRO review last year, think december/january. I originally was low balled at 10% PTSD and asked for DRO review by de novo process and they said if we grant you 50% will you drop your appeal? I said yes, becuase i wasnt working and needed the money. I felt I've met the criteria for 70%. My pysch doctor, has my case red flag because of suicidal idealation. I've gotten in fights, have road rage (this is what i'm talking about unproved anger). I've lost friends, don't have hardly any. I've lost gfs, cuz I snap over small things. I'm like what the heck did I flip out for. Things seem to irritate me, super fast. I have had panic attacks everyday, sometimes multiple days for 4 yrs now. I keep missing appts to set up pyschiatrist appts so I can get some meds to help this. I have been on Setraline(zoloft, ithink) on/off when I can remeber to take it, when I had it. I've been super depressed the entire time as well. I have put on tons of weight as well over the 4 yrs my case has been going on from origination til now (maybe 150+ lbs) and now I'm obsese. It makes me sick to even say that. I have an up coming PCP appt (Dec 7) and will make appts for more cousneling. I want to go back to group therapy as well for returning OIF/OEF vets.

I have been out of treament for a while (less then 1 yr). Do they order a new C&P, I assume? what other stuff/visits do I need to obtain?

I have other issues as well, I want to get addressed.

• Shoulders-Bilaterally I'm SC at 20% each and given a 40% total bilateral factor rating for instability with guarding of movements. I have hill sachs deformities (glenohumeral heads) of both shoulders, bankart lesion and torn labrum, and arthritis in both shoulders as well. I was looking at the criteria. How do I get an increase? Do you file for arthritis, which would be another 10% each shoulder or 10% total if granted? wondering what does marked deformity mean for humeral head? (i can understand if someone said moderate deformotiy but what is a marked deformity?), Where does hill sachs deformity fall under? My shoulders are in pain all the time, back side of shoulders mainly.

• Sleep Apnea-I think I may have it. I've been told I snore extremely loud (mouth open). I wake up every night. SOmetimes for brief periods others are long, such as tonight. I think with gaining all this weight and all. At my PCP appt, I am going to request a sleep study. What do you tie it too for SC if It is proven to have it at sleep study? Background medical condition I have ptsd, HTN (sc), tinnitus, Shoulder probelms.

What should I file for in letter to VARO?

I appreciate any help/advice given here on hadit.

thank you all in advance.......

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Berta,

thanks for your advice. I appreciate the advice i get from everyone on hadit. I have a strong feeling, they will find apnea. I've been told many times int he last few years I snore extrmely loud and my mouth open. I wake up frequently at night due to many reasons (PTSD, shoulder pain and gasping a few times). I never wake up feeling refreshed anymore, no matter how long I sleep. I understand about nexus and that stuff. I was just wondering, besides sleep study, what do I do for it?

I am trying to get all my issues connected and treated.

Does anyone know what the difference of moderate deformity vs marked deormity of humerous in the shoulder is?

What is involved with filing for arthrits for shoulders?

This case might help you determine how they rate shoulder problems:

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp95/files4/9517789.txt

After I read this-I think I know this vet personally and we both had the same POA-

If you go to the BVA web site via the VA main page -and click on decisions you will be able to search all of your conditions and get good info there as to how they rate them. It takes quite a bit of time but I search BVA everyday.

The apnea- you could attempt to get buddy statements to show this problems was manifested in service.Your unit might have a web site and even a reunion list-there are ways to find buddys.

If you find a biddy who bunked with you and was in the same unit etc and who can verify you snored loudly while in the mil -it could help get the apnea service c0nnected.

It might be easier however to get it secondarly SCed to one of your established SC conditions,by medical evidence-meaning a doctor says it is due to a SC condition.

forgot to add- is it noted in your SMRs at all?

Were you ever late for duty due to sleepiness?

Do your personnel records reveal any fatigue during your duties? even being disciplined for fatique could be evidence for apnea inservice.

The arthritis -the BVA web site could help you there too-but with SC established for shoulders, the arthritis might be an obvious Secondary SC.

We aren't doctors -the C & P docs make these determinations and if they are wrong we can appeal it.

I think you are right about the apnea and getting it connected secondarily. The arthitis, I assume it would be a no brainer as well but we all know how the VA is. I thank you for your advice again Berta. SInce coming on this site, I've help a few other Marine buddies get 80% and SC'd for various issues.

I will give the BVA case thing a go. If you recommended it, I trust your opinion. thanks again. If anyone else can chime in, much appreciated as well.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Berta gave some good advice there.

Comb through your medical records and see what you can find.

Buddy statements will likely come in very handy.

Don't let the apnea go untreated. Go to the VA primary care doc and tell him what's going on. He will probably give you the usual quick checkup and then refer you for a sleep study, which will occur at a later date. I am researching too and found that sleep apnea is linked to some cardiac problems, but most of the time is linked to irregular heart rhythms and not necessarily HTN.

You might need a pretty decent nexus letter/IMO if you want to have apnea SC.