• Topics

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    kenvan19

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Oh, no, it is not a waste of time!!!  I started with a 10% rating in 1973 for "Nervous Condition" and now I have TDIU and Housebound.  All claims together bring me $3500 a month tax free.  You may be young now, but if PTSD gets worse it could totally disable you and can cause other secondary conditions.   FILE THE CLAIM!  If you get 10% or 30% that gets your foot in the door and never let them get that foot out of the door by neglecting to respond to C&P exams or ignoring to file NOD or other appeals.
    • I would think BVA would remand back to VARO because they are the ones that made the bad decision.  I could be wrong on this.  I also think you could go to Vet Court on this but then you probably should hire lawyer who will get some of your retro if you get any on remanded issues.  You don't want your TDIU claim to languish some place in VA system.  Did you submit evidence that you could not work solely due to SC conditions?  I have heard that AMC is a black hole where claims go to remain in limbo for years. I have never had a claim at AMC.  These are all diversions dreamed up by the VA to stall your claim. What rating did you get?
    • Send NOD by express mail with return receipt.  If you do not file NOD you will lose your EED and have to start from scratch.  If you let NOD deadline pass you are lost.  You must be willing to play by VA deadlines and get your own medical evidence. How much time do you have left to file NOD? If you have to file generic NOD to meet deadline then do it. If the only evidence you have is VA evidence expect to be low balled or denied about 80% of the time.  You need to develop your claims on appeal. This will take time but you have lost years already by not appealing via NOD.  Not scolding you but stating facts. I failed to file a NOD and it cost me tens of thousands of dollars over 25 years.                  John
    • This makes me wish I knew the importance of EED's. I'm pondering CUE's for a few things myself.
    • I heard great things about Ellis Clinic from Federal Worker's Compensation people.   The thing is you have to go to them which means getting all your records and going to Oklahoma City.  If I wanted an opinion from Ellis Clinic would I have to pack up all my SMR's,  VA and private medical records to see them?  I never used them because I had very good doctors I had been seeing here in Tampa and they referred me to other doctors for friendly IME.  This was because I was in treatment for MH stuff for years by private doctor.  I am being treated for DMII and OSA by the VA and by private doctor.  However, none of them will go out on a limb and say the DMII or MH issues was secondary cause of OSA.  This is what I need for my OSA potential claim.   I also have High Blood but VA will not opine that it is cause or effect of DMII or CAD due to AO.   I have not worried about it because I have TDIU and HB.  I would like to get the High Blood and the OSA SC'ed but am not willing to pay $5000.  I would fly out to Ellis Clinic I think.  I first heard of Ellis Clinic from OWCP claimant who got what they call Schedule Award (cash) for injuries to his hands and feet.  Much more than I got because my doctor would not stick his neck out one inch but did say some injuries I have were work-related when I worked for USPS.  This did create problems for me later with conflicts between VA and OWCP.   That would fill a book. When you get benefits from various programs it always has potential for problems as causes get intertwined and programs point finger at other programs to pay for the damage.  The thing is most of us need at least SSD and VA to pay 100% to actually survive.  $3000 a month from VA is not enough to support a family where I live.  $5000 will do it if you have no debts.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Testvet

Son Is Turning 18 Still In High School

30 posts in this topic

I have got the letter from CHAMPVA about if he wats to continue coverage then he needs to submit his college information, 2 things

he does not graduate from high school until the end of May because of the school district is Ga he didn't start school until he was 6

will they stop his payment in Feb or wait until June I have explained to him that he has to go thru the VARO to get his Chapter 35 benefits I can't do it he has to

SSD won't stop his check until he graduates in June how does the VA handle cases like this and what do I need to do if they should keep paying the benefits for a child until he graduates or do they terminate at 18 regardless of high school status?

I just don't understand this all new to me....anyone else been thru this yet?

VA stopped my with dependent pay in Feb. When my daughter turned 18. Since we do not live in the same state, I found out what school she went to and I sent VA the information and they paid me until she graduated. I was just awarded 100% P & T and she had to fill out the chapter 35 application I sent her at her college veterans affairs office.

VA stopped my with dependent pay in Feb. When my daughter turned 18. Since we do not live in the same state, I found out what school she went to and I sent VA the information and they paid me until she graduated. I was just awarded 100% P & T and she had to fill out the chapter 35 application I sent her at her college veterans affairs office.

Thanks I appreciate it better I tell them now rather than wait until they cut it off and we end up fighting with them to get paid from Feb -May thank you

I have got the letter from CHAMPVA about if he wats to continue coverage then he needs to submit his college information, 2 things

he does not graduate from high school until the end of May because of the school district is Ga he didn't start school until he was 6

will they stop his payment in Feb or wait until June I have explained to him that he has to go thru the VARO to get his Chapter 35 benefits I can't do it he has to

SSD won't stop his check until he graduates in June how does the VA handle cases like this and what do I need to do if they should keep paying the benefits for a child until he graduates or do they terminate at 18 regardless of high school status?

I just don't understand this all new to me....anyone else been thru this yet?

Call the VA at 1-888-442-4551 or get on the 'net at www.gibill.va.gov, talk to the Education Officer. Explain what is going on. It happens all the time.

They'll talk to you, even it is your son who is "officially" applying for the DEA benefit. They have been very helpful to me, personally, where my son is concerned. He is in his final year of his graduate degree program. He just go a notice last week, they are giving the students a little "raise" believe it or not.

Call the VA at 1-888-442-4551 or get on the 'net at www.gibill.va.gov, talk to the Education Officer. Explain what is going on. It happens all the time.

They'll talk to you, even it is your son who is "officially" applying for the DEA benefit. They have been very helpful to me, personally, where my son is concerned. He is in his final year of his graduate degree program. He just go a notice last week, they are giving the students a little "raise" believe it or not.

sounds like you have been thru this all then thanks do you know if any scholarships will affect the benefits from the VA he is supposed to get, or do they send the checks during the school year to him how does the summer work if he goes to summer school do they compensate that or just regular semesters? We are lucky that here in South Carolina he is supposed to get tuition free admittance to any college that is paid for by the state like any of the USC campuses or any other eduation facilities we live like 10 min from USC here in Columbia so he won't have to pay to live in the dorms that will save a ton of money we have a pool house apt so we won't cramp his life style (much anyway)

We just went thru that again on the third daughter. She was also home schooled also= but her birthday fell so she had turned 18 before she graduated. So filled out the paperwork thru the county serviice officer---- BUT REMEMBER at 18 THE VA NOW HAS TO PAY $@200. and some DOLLARS now for that child untill she graduates. We had to correct them and then got the back pay--- She didnt want to wait so she took the STATE GED AND GOT recomended by the state of MINN> and graduated early last July.

Here in MINN. you need to be okayed to take the GED TEST before age 19.

STEVE & PAT