VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Son Is Turning 18 Still In High School

Rate this question

Testvet

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have got the letter from CHAMPVA about if he wats to continue coverage then he needs to submit his college information, 2 things

he does not graduate from high school until the end of May because of the school district is Ga he didn't start school until he was 6

will they stop his payment in Feb or wait until June I have explained to him that he has to go thru the VARO to get his Chapter 35 benefits I can't do it he has to

SSD won't stop his check until he graduates in June how does the VA handle cases like this and what do I need to do if they should keep paying the benefits for a child until he graduates or do they terminate at 18 regardless of high school status?

I just don't understand this all new to me....anyone else been thru this yet?

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
navydoc

Yes

they don't pay benefits while the kids go to college do they? I am asking because because like I said my son graduates from high school and I think wants to move here and go to USC which is about 10 minutes from my home we have a pool house that he can use as a studio apt.

I know he can keep his CHAMPVA coverage as long as he is going to college but I don't know about things like college kids used to be able to keep their base ID cards until they graduate from college or maximum of age 26

|I know he can get Chapter 35 benefits for college but I don;t understand how summer school works if he goes does he keep getting paid or if he takes the summer off they stop the check from June - Sep? College here started at the end of August and ends in May. Does the VA pay their tuition on top of the monthly checks or are the college kids expected to pay for tuition, books and the rest of it from the checks they get monthly?

I know a lot of questions but this is a first for me I know when I went to school on the GI Bill the VA paid the tuition seperately from the checks they sent me every month how do they deal with that on Chapter 35 or do they? It's all greek to me thanks Mike

• HadIt.com Elder

Actually they can and it is a choice cause the Chapter 35 only pays for 44 months and not many finish school in less than 48 and some more.

• HadIt.com Elder
They pay you 240 a month while they are in school, of course they have to verify that they are in school.

my sons girlfriend told me tonight he is thinking about going in the Army, I was hoping he would wait until after college he doesn't have to replay my mistakes I joined the Army and went to college after I got out and was working full time because I stayed in 9 years active duty, and when I got out in 82 I already had the 2 girls Kevin wasn't born until much later in life he is one of those so called desert storm babies my "little souvenoir" when I came home in May 1991 we went to Disneyworld and 9 months later here came Kevin Feb 92 I had the old GI Bill so they paid my tuition and I got a check for about 700 a month I worked nights and went to school during the days I was glad when I finished college though....

Thanks for the help

• HadIt.com Elder
Could this be something that is back dated? If a child has already graduated, but child turned 18 five months before graduation.

Pete, Based on 38 CFR 3.667 (a) it would say that it is possible if a claim is received within one year of a child's 18th birthday.