VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Adjustment Disorder?

Rate this question

Mariel

Question

Hello all. I'm new here. Can someone tell me if Chronic Adjustment Disorder secondary to a diagnosed heart condition is compensible? I have researched this thoroughly, but I can't seem to get a straight answer. Some forums say it is, some say it isn't. I do know that it is in the VASRD. But would the VA pay to compensate for it? Thanks in advance.

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hello all. I'm new here. Can someone tell me if Chronic Adjustment Disorder secondary to a diagnosed heart condition is compensible? I have researched this thoroughly, but I can't seem to get a straight answer. Some forums say it is, some say it isn't. I do know that it is in the VASRD. But would the VA pay to compensate for it? Thanks in advance.

Mariel,

Welcome to Hadit.

Your profile shows you currently have no service connected (SC)disability.

For anything to be compensated for it has to be service connected first.

To get a disability SC'd as secondary - whatever disability that it

results from must be SC'd first.

From what you have posted,

first your "heart condition" would need to be service connected -

then a mental health doctor would need to provide

a nexus opinion connecting your "Chronic Adjustment Disorder" to your

"heart condition" and support this opinion with full medical rationale.

jmho,

carlie

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hi Mariel,

Because you indicated the condition was chronic, have you been seeing a psychologist for more than three months? A lot of times the adjustment disorder can be further and more specifically diagnosed after you have been seen for a long duration.

For example, if you were depressed due to your SC condition, the docs will initially diagnose you with adjustment disorder. After a couple of visits, they may change it to adjustment disorder with depressed mood. After a few months, they may decide to leave it as is or change it to something more specific, such as major depressive disorder (MDD). A lot of times, only time will tell to be sure. In order to be diagnosed with conditions like MDD, the MH condition must persist for quite a while.

Also, if you are SC for a condition, be sure to review the medication that you take for it. Some medications may actually cause or impact MH issues. For example, you take a certain pain medicine for your bad back, but the side effects cause you to experience anxiety or depression (kind of like those medication commercials you hear on tv). In this case, one thing can actually lead to another. If you are or can get SC for the medical condition, then getting SC for a MH condition secondary to the medical condition is very possible.

• HadIt.com Elder

Adjustment Disorder used to be VA code for Personality Disorder. Would you like to elaborate who when and where the diagnosis was made. By the way there is a direct connection between Mitral Valve Prolapse and Panic Disorder

Adjustment Disorder used to be VA code for Personality Disorder. Would you like to elaborate who when and where the diagnosis was made. By the way there is a direct connection between Mitral Valve Prolapse and Panic Disorder

Something I found interesting is the ratings for Adjustment Disorder and PTSD are the same, however the same symptoms that get you 100% PTSD only get you 60% Adjustment disorder. HA! Typical VA

Hello, I was discharged in 1983 with schizoid/schizotypal personality disorder. I filed a claim for a psychiatric condition. I had my c and p in 1985 and they said I had adjustment disorder, not payable. In 2000, I reopened my claim and was told that i was diagnosed with adjustment disorder in 1985 and that it is not payable but it had become payable in nov 1996. Was i sc in 1985 or 2000 and should i have been given a compensable rating in 2000? If so, now what? I have been treated and prescribed medications continuously for various mental disorders since '96. Thanks!