VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Finally Received My Military Personnel Records

Rate this question

Vync

Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I finally received my military personnel records. After a quick review, I found that it was just a copy of the contents of my 201 file. It also had my DD214, copies of awards, but contained no content specific to any of my units. Is that normal?

I did some digging and a couple of my units were shut down.

I know there may be retention periods for certain documents, but was hoping to get copies of training records, PT tests, counseling statements from when I was young and stupid, etc...

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

VSync

Problem 1--NPRC sends what they "think" you need. If you think something is missing, you can submit another SF 180. Be sure to state this is a follow up request for a full & complete copy of your personnel records. But your 201 file is your personnel records.

Unless you really screwed up, letters of counselling are usually kept in a seperate derogatory information file (or whatever they call them now) which could purged after a sufficient numbers of attaboys, PCS, discharge, etc.

If you need unit-specific stuff--morning reports, etc., then you'll need to submit yet another SF180 and specify what you are looking for, the unit, and your dates of assignment.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

12R3G,

I'll be submitting a new SF180 pretty quickly!

Thanks!

It took me 3 tries to get the majority of my records and I still did not get them all. No mention of a broken hand or a nose patched back together anywhere in them. When I filed for my disability claim I made sure to state that the records I received from VA were incomplete.

• HadIt.com Elder

Try filling out a form 180 and requesting your DA form 20, from the NPRC. It includes all assigned units, promotions, entry test scores, security clearances, awards, punishments, lost time, etc. - basically everything you did in the Army.

pr

I finally received my military personnel records. After a quick review, I found that it was just a copy of the contents of my 201 file. It also had my DD214, copies of awards, but contained no content specific to any of my units. Is that normal?

I did some digging and a couple of my units were shut down.

I know there may be retention periods for certain documents, but was hoping to get copies of training records, PT tests, counseling statements from when I was young and stupid, etc...

DickC

Were you hospitalized for either? If you request your STRs (or get a copy from the VA), what you get is the contents of your outpatient file (the one the hospital kept and you handcarried when PCS'ing). Hospital records (clinical notes, etc.) are kept by the hospital and eventually retired to the NPRC. Depending on your branch of service, hospital records may first be archieved at a regional medical center or other storage facility prior to being retired to NPRC.

There is information on this at the NPRC website. You'll need to know the hospital and approximate treatment dates.

12RG3,

I wasn't hospitalized for either but had multiple Xrays on the hand and 2 different casts. The nose took 4 or 5 stitches to close up. Knowing these took place and were not included in my records makes me wonder what else wasn't included that I have forgotten about after 30+ years. It wasn't until the 2nd request for my records that the headaches were listed as a problem while I was in the service.