VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Asbestos

Rate this question

Berta

Question

This is the VA PIES list of Navy occupations that are deemed by exposure to asbestos as minimal exposure up to highly probable.

The show tonight at SVR on asbestos will be important info as many many vets (whether Navy or not) were exposed to asbestos in service.I would think similiar MOS for any service branch would involve the same levels of exposure as in the VA PIES list for Navy occupations.

This list as far as I know has not changed since VA prepared it and the Office of General COunsel Pres Op of April 2004 is still relied on by the VA as definitive statement for these claims.

They require proof of asbestos exposure and medical evidence that establishes the nexus between the exposure and the veteran's current disability.There are no presumptives for asbestos claims.

Also here at hadit I have posted the VA training letter for asbestos.

It helped me significanty when I had a local asbestos vet's claim.He died unfortunately whle the claim was in process.

As John said this type of exposure can cause considerable medical ailments.

As the VA's own training letter states- cancers from asbestos exposure can take decades to show up.

Mesotheliamo and asbestosis are only a few of the serious medical consequences of asbestos exposure.

Asbestos_VA_PIES.pdf

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I cant find the training letter but know it is here somewhere-

In this link under the Ionizinng Radiation part is basically what the VA asbestos trainng letter requires as far as adjudication of these claims goes:

www.warms.vba.va.gov/admin21/m21_1/mr/part4/subptii/.../ch02_secc.doc

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta, thanks for revisiting this one.

As far as the list is concerned, the Navy had combined the Ship fitter, Pipe Fitter, Damage Control man into one specialized rate as a Hull Maintenance Technician in the late 70's.

The Author of this list should raise the Probability of the Pipe Fitter toa highly probable as these folks were the first ones to the steam pipes that were laiden with asbestos.

If they suspected it was asbestos or even insulated, they called the Lagger's to investigate. The Lagger's would take a sample and send it to a testing facility if in shore or one Tech was usually trained to do a microscopic test at sea. When in doubt they treated it as asbestos and ripped it out. The area was quarantined off until the air sample tests were considred OK.

That was the modern post asbestos scare results int he 80's. Before that it was rip off the insulation, add pipe and re insulate the pipe.

Exposure was very high in these specialties.

From a claims note the VA has already conceeded asbestos exposure since I sent them my performance evaluations, however since I am already 100 percent Pulmonary it is a moot point unless I develop Mesothelioma.

Again, thanks for re visiting this issue as we should visit it often.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

I have looked at all those little ads. There is a disclaimer usually in print and for some reason the fine print says representation is not available in my state.

Aint that a Hoot. I would have to move to another state to do so. Oh Well. so be it.

Thanks for the post PR. It gives a little hope.

J

Well J, I use to work at the GE Appliance park prior to and after my military service. I cleaned the large drip tanks, and all the large filter units plus the industrial ovens. I'm sure if they did a test for asbestos it would be off the chart. But, I would be SOL if I filed any type of suit.

Papa

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA letter can be useful, I'd agree. Those who served on older navy ships have a probability of exposure that is greater than it would be on the newer ships.

Ships built or in service into the 1970's still had asbestos insulation in some areas where nothing else would work, or, where it was judged to be less than a major hazard.

Ships in service during the Vietnam war had a much higher asbestos content, and were the subject of early remedial efforts, usually in the latter 1960's.

Something that I noticed was somewhat amusing to me. My Navy Vietnam era specialty was ET. I worked on almost all shipboard electronic equipment, including Sonar. Yet, the ET rating was shown as probable,

and the Sonar Tech rating was higher yet.

In truth, anyone on an older ship was likely to be exposed to asbestos, simply because the ship's ventilation systems were not designed to filter it out, and there were large amounts of asbestos present in various types of insulation.

The constant vibration breaks down asbestos fibers, and eventually the particles end up in the air. Ships that fired "guns" had a shock factor added to the vibration that greatly increased the problem.

Not to mention that enclosed gun turrets had a fair amount of asbestos inside the turret.

This is the VA PIES list of Navy occupations that are deemed by exposure to asbestos as minimal exposure up to highly probable.

The show tonight at SVR on asbestos will be important info as many many vets (whether Navy or not) were exposed to asbestos in service.I would think similiar MOS for any service branch would involve the same levels of exposure as in the VA PIES list for Navy occupations.

This list as far as I know has not changed since VA prepared it and the Office of General COunsel Pres Op of April 2004 is still relied on by the VA as definitive statement for these claims.

They require proof of asbestos exposure and medical evidence that establishes the nexus between the exposure and the veteran's current disability.There are no presumptives for asbestos claims.

Also here at hadit I have posted the VA training letter for asbestos.

It helped me significanty when I had a local asbestos vet's claim.He died unfortunately whle the claim was in process.

As John said this type of exposure can cause considerable medical ailments.

As the VA's own training letter states- cancers from asbestos exposure can take decades to show up.

Mesotheliamo and asbestosis are only a few of the serious medical consequences of asbestos exposure.