• Topics

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Tazit

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Im in the middle of the NOD process with an older claim, about to submit an FDC for a new disease not addressed before.  Do I need to resend my MSR's with the FDC. The VA already has everything from my old claim.  Ive been retired for over a year now so nothing has changed in my MSR's. Thoughts?
    • Palma114, It's the opinion of the Rheumatologist that makes the secondary connection.  My PC was just showing me when I had asked if there was a DX for my issue.
    • Dot09 How much is this Champva supplemental Insurance? premium cost per month and the deductible? I'll sure give her this Information Thanks ......................Buck
    • Now that is very good and sound advice and it makes all the sense in the world to me! But when my claim was denied the 1st time, it stated " knee pain is not a diagnosis and just pain alone doesn't qualify for c&p". Which I thought was odd because I know people that has been approved for "chronic back pain ".Weird....
    • I agree with John999 If you get 100% for one disability and 60%for secondary disability  the VA is obligated to set you up with the statutory ratings from the SMC Rating table....so when you get your deferred rating and its 100% and you have at least another 50% along with you SC.30%  this should be a statutory rating qualifying you for SMC..(Special Monthly Compensation) about 347.00 extra for spouse as dependent and more with a child as your dependent too. Don't let them beat you out of it  if you get a 100% rating for PTSD & A Secondary rating of 30% for Bladder trauma  NOD This...they do try to screw you up on these ratings   like John999 mention look up the criteria for a bladder trauma rating according to what the Dr mention in his report. to make it a little clearer a 100% rating with 2 -30% ratings calculate by VA Math to 51% so the rating will be 50% &   100% &50% is not enough for SMC. what they may do is rate you 30%for Bladder Trauma and 30% for your Ankle?  & 100% for PTSD,  if they rate you 30% for those latter disability's  that's not enough for SMC  So fight them over this if you have to. you need a 100% rating and anything that adds up to or over the 60% to get the SMC's you deserve every penny possible.. Good Luck .......Buck

Berta

Asbestos

9 posts in this topic

This is the VA PIES list of Navy occupations that are deemed by exposure to asbestos as minimal exposure up to highly probable.

The show tonight at SVR on asbestos will be important info as many many vets (whether Navy or not) were exposed to asbestos in service.I would think similiar MOS for any service branch would involve the same levels of exposure as in the VA PIES list for Navy occupations.

This list as far as I know has not changed since VA prepared it and the Office of General COunsel Pres Op of April 2004 is still relied on by the VA as definitive statement for these claims.

They require proof of asbestos exposure and medical evidence that establishes the nexus between the exposure and the veteran's current disability.There are no presumptives for asbestos claims.

Also here at hadit I have posted the VA training letter for asbestos.

It helped me significanty when I had a local asbestos vet's claim.He died unfortunately whle the claim was in process.

As John said this type of exposure can cause considerable medical ailments.

As the VA's own training letter states- cancers from asbestos exposure can take decades to show up.

Mesotheliamo and asbestosis are only a few of the serious medical consequences of asbestos exposure.

Asbestos_VA_PIES.pdf

I cant find the training letter but know it is here somewhere-

In this link under the Ionizinng Radiation part is basically what the VA asbestos trainng letter requires as far as adjudication of these claims goes:

www.warms.vba.va.gov/admin21/m21_1/mr/part4/subptii/.../ch02_secc.doc

Berta, thanks for revisiting this one.

As far as the list is concerned, the Navy had combined the Ship fitter, Pipe Fitter, Damage Control man into one specialized rate as a Hull Maintenance Technician in the late 70's.

The Author of this list should raise the Probability of the Pipe Fitter toa highly probable as these folks were the first ones to the steam pipes that were laiden with asbestos.

If they suspected it was asbestos or even insulated, they called the Lagger's to investigate. The Lagger's would take a sample and send it to a testing facility if in shore or one Tech was usually trained to do a microscopic test at sea. When in doubt they treated it as asbestos and ripped it out. The area was quarantined off until the air sample tests were considred OK.

That was the modern post asbestos scare results int he 80's. Before that it was rip off the insulation, add pipe and re insulate the pipe.

Exposure was very high in these specialties.

From a claims note the VA has already conceeded asbestos exposure since I sent them my performance evaluations, however since I am already 100 percent Pulmonary it is a moot point unless I develop Mesothelioma.

Again, thanks for re visiting this issue as we should visit it often.

J

J - have you filed claims against the private companies, besides the Navy?? There's a lot of money out there. Probably won't increase your lifespan but could make the fishing better.

pr

I have looked at all those little ads. There is a disclaimer usually in print and for some reason the fine print says representation is not available in my state.

Aint that a Hoot. I would have to move to another state to do so. Oh Well. so be it.

Thanks for the post PR. It gives a little hope.

J

Well J, I use to work at the GE Appliance park prior to and after my military service. I cleaned the large drip tanks, and all the large filter units plus the industrial ovens. I'm sure if they did a test for asbestos it would be off the chart. But, I would be SOL if I filed any type of suit.

Papa