VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tmj And Ptsd

Rate this question

Medic4849

Question

Ok I have all my dental records and just recently per DOD mandatory periodical health assesment I am a class 3 dental which means i will have issues in the next 12 months if untreated.

well depolyed in 3006 reurned 2007 back then i was fime and now I have worn my teeth down bad to the point of needing crowns filling etc, yeah they gave me a night guard a year ago. so any way I filed for bruxism sent them in all mdental records there return with DENIED breaking or chippings ones tooth is not dental trauma and compensation is only to fix a issue not a monetary compensation I filed a NOD the next day.

now I am told I have TMJ clicking and soreness,plus headaches are coming back not to mention I am pushing 40 years old and my teeth are ground to the stump and I did all this over 3 years

can you file TMJ secondary to PTSD since thats what the VA is saying I should have done in the first place SO confusing!

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Absolutely- but still this will need a medical statement as to the link of the TMJ to your PTSD.

Is the PTSD established yet with your 30% rating?

There are TMJ claims at the BVA that have been awarded as secondary to PTSD or aggravated by SC PTSD. This vet succeeded in getting his bruxism secondary to his PTSD:

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp09/files1/0909195.txt

What is the status of the NOD? how long ago did you file it?

You could certainly send them any medical evidence at all- to support the claim-

I have seen 10 and 20% awarded for TMJ -I dont know if your dental picture from the TMJ is at a ratable level. Did they question that in the decision?

yes a ..NEXUS.. filled out along with internet articles how PTSD and bruxism have a connection,

filed claim 2009JUNE PTSD and bruxism

claim returned 2009OCT PTSD granted 30 percent bruxism DENIED

filed NOD 2009OCT status per VARO open and in "review" also including status for dependents which I..at the time did not know about

still never seen any compensation for 3 dependents as the claim is in review..

yes a ..NEXUS.. filled out along with internet articles how PTSD and bruxism have a connection,

still never seen any compensation for 3 dependents as the claim is in review..

Medic4849,

What does your Nexus state and did the doc relate your condition to the

internet articles OR did you?

Your profile shows you are currently SC'd at 30 percent.

This level of compensation allows additional compensation

funds for your dependents, this is regardless of any additional

claims you have under review.

To get it you must completely fill out and submit a 21-686c form

along with any additional documents requested in the form.

Here's a link.

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-686c-ARE.pdf

Hope this helps a vet.

carlie

I did .....have filled out those forms 21-686c one each for my children have 2 no compensation for those since I filed a NOD and its in review

have gotton the SC for PTSD at 30 percent and have recieved comp for it I miss days from work some days are bad some are ok doesnt matter but It has been a long road originally filed all of these when I got back from iraq in 2007

some of my issues are at 0 percent but the more I did research into my own health the more I was finding out IE

headaches in particular, short temper, not sleeping for days then crashing, and borderline self medicating for a while well enough is enough

and have not shyed this time I presented the evidence signs and symtoms to the C and P w it took 20 minutes for the physcolagist or what ever to come to a finding that anxiety is just one disorder and my situation has elevated it to the next being PTSD I go to thearopy once a month and the SATC programs and it helps but finding out I am not alone in this my brothers in arms have been having the same issues, fortunate for me I am not as bad off as some of them who have gotton divorced etc etc. I find my self blessed but every day I feel tired and in pain and just guilty some times that I made it back in one piece and some friends didnt.

It seems like a struggle with the VA like your the BADGUY here and its not like I am asking for a handout I want whats rightfully deserved and not for me but children and family.

i think Iam just rambling at this point but thats where it stands now 30 percent recieved award but not getting dependents allowance as to what I understand should be given.

and yet they see the dental issues started in service and only got worse from there, TH VA scheduled me a dental appointment know what the appointmrnt was for?? a cleaning and nightguard fitting . case closed

I want a CP for dental is what I want

went to DOD required dental the MIL DOCS say whooooo your teeth are bad exposed nerves ect class three I said funny VA last week said ALL SET your GOOD to go mil docs say nope you have TMJ as well .

my response MAJOR sir can I have that documented and HE DID